Attracting Players for Next Season

27 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

How motivated would Bannan be in league one? Tudgay looked completely disinterested after we dropped last time. It’s all very well hoping their quality will show at a lower level, but only if they’re up for it - and on lesser wages. We’d be wise to clear the decks and rebuild so we don’t have a squad of players damaged by relegation, feeling sorry for themselves thinking they’re too good for league one.

It’s generally accepted the league below is more physical, and we’d have lessor quality players so I can’t see any argument for keeping Bannan in that league. His salary funds 3/4 good players at that level. 

• Like 1

For me, we need to get back up next season, or we’ll be there a while. This means we have to take a Wolves style approach, and throw everything at it. I’d look to keep our under contract better players, at least for next season, then use our status to plunder the best out of contract League One and Two players. We will also be best placed to attract any decent loan players heading for that League, although we may have alter our approach to loanees Bigger clubs are always more likely to be open to subsidise good younger loan young players

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For me, we need to get back up next season, or we’ll be there a while. This means we have to take a Wolves style approach, and throw everything at it. I’d look to keep our under contract better players, at least for next season, then use our status to plunder the best out of contract League One and Two players. We will also be best placed to attract any decent loan players heading for that League, although we may have alter our approach to loanees Bigger clubs are always more likely to be open to subsidise good younger loan young players

We need to get up, but we need to reset and rejuvenate as well. 

We don't want our high earners who failed at Championship level on long term deals again. 

We need to invest that funds into finding next Chris Brunt and Glenn Whelan as players worth building long term future around. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, malek said:

We need to get up, but we need to reset and rejuvenate as well. 

We don't want our high earners who failed at Championship level on long term deals again. 

We need to invest that funds into finding next Chris Brunt and Glenn Whelan as players worth building long term future around. 

Nobody is suggesting keeping those who have failed, but ones like Bannan and Iorfa who have impressed, are already under contract. We do what other clubs are doing to us, snap up the best of the lower league talents who have slipped out contract, and use the loan market properly

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Nobody is suggesting keeping those who have failed, but ones like Bannan and Iorfa who have impressed, are already under contract. We do what other clubs are doing to us, snap up the best of the lower league talents who have slipped out contract, and use the loan market properly

Do you think Bannan would thrive in a more physical league, surrounded by lessor quality players? 

I personally think he may get bullied, frustrated by team mates and be even worse than he has been this season. All whilst costing as much as most entire midfields he comes up against.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Do you think Bannan would thrive in a more physical league, surrounded by lessor quality players? 

I personally think he may get bullied, frustrated by team mates and be even worse than he has been this season. All whilst costing as much as most entire midfields he comes up against.

It’s a worry yes, and like Reach, he doesn’t like it when it becomes a physical battle Unlike Reach though, Bannan can still have a positive impact on the game. Get the right players around him, and he can still be effective in a more physical division. Most of Bannan’s problems this season, have been the balance of the midfield, and the dire options ahead of him. It also depends on how we will set up down there, but if we can get some movement ahead of him next year, he could be very useful. It’s hard to imagine we would be assembling a worse front line than the one we had this year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It’s a worry yes, and like Reach, he doesn’t like it when it becomes a physical battle Unlike Reach though, Bannan can still have a positive impact on the game. Get the right players around him, and he can still be effective in a more physical division. Most of Bannan’s problems this season, have been the balance of the midfield, and the dire options ahead of him. It also depends on how we will set up down there, but if we can get some movement ahead of him next year, he could be very useful. It’s hard to imagine we would be assembling a worse front line than the one we had this year

Personally I don’t think he’s going to be afforded more time on the ball and as a result will be next to no use. He’s not great at finding pockets of space (other than very deep) and I don’t see us affording any better options whilst he’s on 4x a good players salary in that division. 

I hope I’m wrong as I think he may be loopy enough to stay if we go down. But I can’t see how we see the best of him in league one. 

First thing I would do is try to pick up a really good old pro on a years contract . We have massively lacked a leader this season who has been there and done it and who could really help the dressing room and younger players.  Gary Cahill would be perfect but is having a good season at Palace so likely will get extended.    MK Dons got Cameron Jerome this season who has grafted up there for them, and got 10 goals - a good player at that level.

On 07/03/2021 at 14:59, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think we are in real danger of dropping straight through League One because, the more I think about it, the more I think we will struggle to attract players.

When players are choosing clubs they will do a pro v con list, whether they actually write it down or just do it mentally.  They will think about the wages on offer, the stature of the club, the geographical location and the general impression of the club within the footballing world.

Let's face facts; our club's reputation is in the gutter.  We have struggled financially and players are reported to have had multiple issues with their pay.  We are not a fashionable club and as a city we are not as attractive as Greater Manchester, Liverpool and London.  We will not get the top calibre of player who is available for the Championship or League One.  Nor will we get the second tier of player.  We are going to be scraping the barrel for over-the-hill players seeking one last payday.  We will be left with players with injury or attitude problems; or players who are a pure gamble from the lower leagues.  

Taking the blue and white glasses off for a moment, I just don't see what we can offer players that our peers can't exceed.  We are a club with no stability at any level.  We have no direction or culture to sell to prospective players.  

I'm not so sure players will choose the likes of Accrington and Gillingham over Sheffield and playing football for Sheffield Wednesday. :tango:

23 hours ago, Philb125 said:

It’s generally accepted the league below is more physical, and we’d have lessor quality players so I can’t see any argument for keeping Bannan in that league. His salary funds 3/4 good players at that level. 

Unfortunately think he will leave could even end up at the sty after their clear out...deffo be in championship imo..

17 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

How about Sunderland, Ipswich, Charlton? I did refer to our peers, as in, clubs roughly at our level. 

Sunderland won't be in it next season, Charlton are similar to us, a badly run club. :duntmatter: