Attracting Players for Next Season

I think we are in real danger of dropping straight through League One because, the more I think about it, the more I think we will struggle to attract players.

When players are choosing clubs they will do a pro v con list, whether they actually write it down or just do it mentally.  They will think about the wages on offer, the stature of the club, the geographical location and the general impression of the club within the footballing world.

Let's face facts; our club's reputation is in the gutter.  We have struggled financially and players are reported to have had multiple issues with their pay.  We are not a fashionable club and as a city we are not as attractive as Greater Manchester, Liverpool and London.  We will not get the top calibre of player who is available for the Championship or League One.  Nor will we get the second tier of player.  We are going to be scraping the barrel for over-the-hill players seeking one last payday.  We will be left with players with injury or attitude problems; or players who are a pure gamble from the lower leagues.  

Taking the blue and white glasses off for a moment, I just don't see what we can offer players that our peers can't exceed.  We are a club with no stability at any level.  We have no direction or culture to sell to prospective players.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

We are going to be scraping the barrel for over-the-hill players seeking one last payday.  We will be left with players with injury or attitude problems; or players who are a pure gamble from the lower leagues.  

Only if we choose to sign them. We can choose not to, in fact I would say it's vital we don't.

There will always be players who are willing to play for us, we might just need to be a bit smarter in finding them. Players who are out of favour at their clubs. Good players at struggling clubs. Players coming to the end of their contracts at L1 and L2 clubs. The important thing is that they fit whatever system DM decides to go with. I think if we can get through next season and remain reasonably competitive then some of that fear factor that potential recruits might have, the worry about boarding a sinking ship, may evaporate.

8 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Legend has it Melo stopped waiting for his tram and is now still waiting on his D-Taxi

BREAKING :    D- Taxi arrives for Melo who has been recruited by the NEW YORK RED BULLS

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Captain Scarlett said:

BREAKING :    D- Taxi arrives for Melo who has been recruited by the NEW YORK RED BULLS

I hope the Rotherham Owls' coach organiser is taking notes

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Should have already done a lot of the homework on who to sign already.

Well run clubs would have already thought about budgets, where they need strengthening, identified possible targets, made some sort of contact with agents even if no firm offers made.

Also well run clubs will have tied down players they want to keep or at least had meetings with them to see where each other stand.

If as I suspect we had not done that much we are already a step or two behind other clubs and best players have already decided where to go more or less.

If this is the case we will struggle in League 1.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

Loans are the way forward in league one. We should be talking to both Manchester clubs already about borrowing some of their young talent.

We’re a good fit for both clubs. A big stadium, decent crowds, plenty of supporter expectations to get the players used to playing under pressure. Darren Moore is a good coach who’ll be attractive to work with

We can leave buying over-priced aging crocks until we get promoted again.

Exactly, something we again largely ignored this season, and Moore used the loan system to the max at Doncaster. The secret is, we have the experience, so we need to bring in talented youngsters who will give us pace and energy. People were saying last summer, who’s going to sign for us with the points penalty. So much so, that most seemed quite happy with the business we did do. In truth, it was mainly poor, and there were far better, and more appropriate players out there that we could have signed

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In L1 Wednesday will be one of the most attractive clubs to play for no matter how bad we've been this season. Both Rotherham and Barnsley have gone down in recent years and found players of sufficient quality to make a quick return. DC will pay good wages re L1, the problem is our recruitment has been awful recently. Last summer we needed a CF and a LB, we still do, and now lots more as well.

• Like 2

I take your points but I’m not necessarily sure that will be the case. I’m sure, regardless of what’s going on at the club, Sheffield and SWFC are still an attractive proposition for League 1 players.

There are some teams in and around the top of league 1 that I would imagine offer less wages than SWFC and an less enticing location to live. I also think Moore’s decent track record at Donny may appeal to players too.

• Like 3

garymegson Managed to find the likes of Dave Prutton, Rob Jones and Jose Semedo.  The players are there if you have the contacts and permission to bring them in.

I seriously doubt we have the money, the permission or contacts now to scout these types of players out.  Also  DC and his "advisors" would never sanction a manager getting his own squad assembled.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think we are in real danger of dropping straight through League One because, the more I think about it, the more I think we will struggle to attract players.

When players are choosing clubs they will do a pro v con list, whether they actually write it down or just do it mentally.  They will think about the wages on offer, the stature of the club, the geographical location and the general impression of the club within the footballing world.

Let's face facts; our club's reputation is in the gutter.  We have struggled financially and players are reported to have had multiple issues with their pay.  We are not a fashionable club and as a city we are not as attractive as Greater Manchester, Liverpool and London.  We will not get the top calibre of player who is available for the Championship or League One.  Nor will we get the second tier of player.  We are going to be scraping the barrel for over-the-hill players seeking one last payday.  We will be left with players with injury or attitude problems; or players who are a pure gamble from the lower leagues.  

Taking the blue and white glasses off for a moment, I just don't see what we can offer players that our peers can't exceed.  We are a club with no stability at any level.  We have no direction or culture to sell to prospective players.  

With the financial crisis, clubs will come back and there may be a lot of players desperate for a club.

Quite plausible to say when we originally got rid of the 3 advisers. 

The affects of that spread far beyond 3 peoples contacts. 

We seem to have gotten a squad full of non combative players. Our recruitment seems to be done from YouTube. 

And there's nothing fancy about League One. We shouldn't have a single player over 29 next year 

We'll definitely attract the older expensive and injury prone ones that are on their way down the leagues. 

Chansiri and Paixao will be attracted by them because they might be ex prem or Championship and their agents will secure them 2-3 year deals on large wages. 

Any up and coming, younger, higher potential players won't come, won't be affordable or will come and then not be played or never reach their potential. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sibon said:

Loans are the way forward in league one. We should be talking to both Manchester clubs already about borrowing some of their young talent.

We’re a good fit for both clubs. A big stadium, decent crowds, plenty of supporter expectations to get the players used to playing under pressure. Darren Moore is a good coach who’ll be attractive to work with

We can leave buying over-priced aging crocks until we get promoted again.

This is spot on, loans of young up and coming talent is the way forward. Chansiri needs to hire someone with really good football contacts( i know theres not a chance in hell this will happen).

Just now, bobowl said:

This is spot on, loans of young up and coming talent is the way forward. Chansiri needs to hire someone with really good football contacts( i know theres not a chance in hell this will happen).

Or update his yearbook

Well be the biggest club in that league but depending on whether dc and his advisers are still here ? If there not and we have some proper structure in place and sign the players moore wants think we’d be ok ( not sure if straight back up) but building for the future. If the current policy still in place where god knows who is in charge of recruiting then expect a total shambles same as same as