Attracting Players for Next Season

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Mate where do I start. First priority was to balance the squad, and the two major issues were a left back, and a proper number 9 to lead the line. We could for example, have brought in Pickering for the left back role, and Adebayo a powerful number 9, for what we paid for Paterson and Windass. Both players would probably have jumped at the chance to join us from Crewe and Walsall respectively, but most importantly, they were positions we had to address. Two promising young players who, even if we are relegated, could have been mainstays in our attempts to win promotion back to the championship. They are just two examples, there were a myriad of options out there. 
If we wanted a more ready made centre forward, I can think of plenty on the continent who could have been purchased for what we paid for Windass. Another avenue, there were experienced players like Kazim-Richards, who were free agents, and would certainly have aided our cause. 
Finally, the loan market, there were plenty of Premier League youngsters, some of whom moved to, and are now starring for League One teams. The excuse that players wouldn’t want to join us, is a red herring. For example, we needed a left back, are we saying there wasn’t one available anywhere who was prepared to join us? Make no mistake, inadequate recruitment has meant we never really had much chance of avoiding the drop 

We neglected the left back slot for sure. But take Paterson and Windass out the team who have experienced this level youd not get the same from Adebayo

but youd want him as an additional option. These players have had options including Luton, Huddersfield and Blackburn who didn’t have -12 points.

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Ok. So let’s say we can attract players, and assuming Moore has no say in transfer activity. Who will be identifying these players 

Moore will have an input on player targets signings but not like a more traditional way where they go out and identity all of them, it sounds as if they have been working with  David Downes and co in the recruitment team that Bruce set up and by the sounds of it Chansiri and whoever is working with him. Prior to the recruitment team it seemed more like the advisors who did a lot of its Downes was behind the Green signing who we have barely seen yet. 

26 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

All we could attract last summer was the current lot. And they’re probably League One standard at best.

God help us recruiting from League One.

We were going for decent championship players who wanted to play for a club who were likely to challenge for promotion. Not a club on -12 points. Next season we’ll be recruiting from league 1 and we’ll be one of the draws of that league - probably one of the bookies favourites to go up - and with the prices down there far more reasonable we could recruit effectively without spending  silly amounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

We'll definitely attract the older expensive and injury prone ones that are on their way down the leagues. 

Chansiri and Paixao will be attracted by them because they might be ex prem or Championship and their agents will secure them 2-3 year deals on large wages. 

Any up and coming, younger, higher potential players won't come, won't be affordable or will come and then not be played or never reach their potential. 

This is the fear, I think DC likes a 'name' so expect some of the old past it signings again as he will see these as top players to match the top prices being charged

2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think we are in real danger of dropping straight through League One because, the more I think about it, the more I think we will struggle to attract players.

When players are choosing clubs they will do a pro v con list, whether they actually write it down or just do it mentally.  They will think about the wages on offer, the stature of the club, the geographical location and the general impression of the club within the footballing world.

Let's face facts; our club's reputation is in the gutter.  We have struggled financially and players are reported to have had multiple issues with their pay.  We are not a fashionable club and as a city we are not as attractive as Greater Manchester, Liverpool and London.  We will not get the top calibre of player who is available for the Championship or League One.  Nor will we get the second tier of player.  We are going to be scraping the barrel for over-the-hill players seeking one last payday.  We will be left with players with injury or attitude problems; or players who are a pure gamble from the lower leagues.  

Taking the blue and white glasses off for a moment, I just don't see what we can offer players that our peers can't exceed.  We are a club with no stability at any level.  We have no direction or culture to sell to prospective players.  

This is only an opinion you will see on here IMO. The rest of the footballing world still see Wednesday as a big club, one of the institutions of the English game. Granted, like many before us, we have fallen on hard times. But for fans and no doubt players, who don’t live the day to day negativity on here, we are a very attractive proposition.

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We neglected the left back slot for sure. But take Paterson and Windass out the team who have experienced this level youd not get the same from Adebayo

but youd want him as an additional option. These players have had options including Luton, Huddersfield and Blackburn who didn’t have -12 points.

But at the time, both those players would have envisaged a season with Crewe and Walsall, so presumably would have leapt at the chance of joining us, rather like Paterson and Windass did. 
It’s more about not addressing those two positions, that has caused us massive problems this season 

You don’t go into a season lacking a left back and a centre forward, no matter whether we were supposedly thwarted in our attempts to bring one in. Would we, for example, do the same if we lacked a goalkeeper, just do without one, saying we tried? 
Your point about Adebayo is valid, he doesn’t have the experience, but is exactly the sort of young talent we should have brought in At least then, had we not managed to find a more experienced option, we would still have had a striker who has the attributes to lead the line, thus bringing others into play. Whatever the merits of Paterson and Windass, and I just don’t see them, neither of them are equipped to lead the line

Our scouting network only goes between Cardiff and Wigan.

And in the last 5 years we’ve barely had one decent transfer window. The window under Bruce is the only one in 5 years you could argue we did some good business.

I’d like to be proved wrong but I wouldn’t have any confidence in Chancer and Paxo getting the recruitment right 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But at the time, both those players would have envisaged a season with Crewe and Walsall, so presumably would have leapt at the chance of joining us, rather like Paterson and Windass did. 
It’s more about not addressing those two positions, that has caused us massive problems this season 

You don’t go into a season lacking a left back and a centre forward, no matter whether we were supposedly thwarted in our attempts to bring one in. Would we, for example, do the same if we lacked a goalkeeper, just do without one, saying we tried? 
Your point about Adebayo is valid, he doesn’t have the experience, but is exactly the sort of young talent we should have brought in At least then, had we not managed to find a more experienced option, we would still have had a striker who has the attributes to lead the line, thus bringing others into play. Whatever the merits of Paterson and Windass, and I just don’t see them, neither of them are equipped to lead the line

I don’t think anyone would disagree we lacked a proper cf or a lb and the club has neglected to look at the EFL L1/2 until Jan. But by the time clubs have been convinced by Pickering and Adebayo so are others, Pickering isn’t really a natural defender and Adebayo got binned from Swindon for turning up late too much. It’s taken time for clubs to think they are worth paying for. We should’ve looked at Adebayo in Jan but who says we didn’t and he got a better offer

Personally think we are far better set to attract a decent quality of player now Darren Moore is in charge - assuming he stays on.

Most teams will want to send their youngsters on loan to clubs who play in a similar style. Moore's style when it comes to playing out from the back is entirely suitable.  This doesn't just cover defenders, or even keepers, but midfielders and players up top too. We havent had this kind of manager in charge for a lifetime.

Big club, stadium and expectations on promotion... all adds up to a decent place for youngsters to join, along with other players who will see SWFC as a big challenge and theoretically one that will pay a very competitive wage, too.  Far less than what we've been splashing out in the past, but still plenty.

Genuinely think we will recover from relegation OK... but pain this season has felt inevitable since towards the start of last season, when everything started spiralling downwards very quickly.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think anyone would disagree we lacked a proper cf or a lb and the club has neglected to look at the EFL L1/2 until Jan. But by the time clubs have been convinced by Pickering and Adebayo so are others, Pickering isn’t really a natural defender and Adebayo got binned from Swindon for turning up late too much. It’s taken time for clubs to think they are worth paying for. We should’ve looked at Adebayo in Jan but who says we didn’t and he got a better offer

Well of course yes, we don’t really know who the club looked at. I suppose my point is, a club of our status, should not go two windows without addressing those issues, whether they tried or not. Often a club may want to upgrade a couple of positions, and if they don’t manage to do so, it isn’t terminal. We on the other hand, were not looking to upgrade, we actually had nobody in those positions. Worse than that, we’d cleared out all our development strikers as well.

Just now, gurujuan said:

Well of course yes, we don’t really know who the club looked at. I suppose my point is, a club of our status, should not go two windows without addressing those issues, whether they tried or not. Often a club may want to upgrade a couple of positions, and if they don’t manage to do so, it isn’t terminal. We on the other hand, were not looking to upgrade, we actually had nobody in those positions. Worse than that, we’d cleared out all our development strikers as well.

Yep, Hagan and Adedoyin getting injured hasn’t helped. but any credible player who might move to the championship his agent will let clubs know and if we were -12 in the summer we won’t have been top of the list and in January it seemed a combo of that and this wierd “pay in the summer” cash flow rumour Nixon was on about. 

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Yep, Hagan and Adedoyin getting injured hasn’t helped. but any credible player who might move to the championship his agent will let clubs know and if we were -12 in the summer we won’t have been top of the list and in January it seemed a combo of that and this wierd “pay in the summer” cash flow rumour Nixon was on about. 

Who’s fault is that?

Will the cash flow issues be sorted next season? Are we completely sure we don’t face further sanctions in terms of points and embargo’s? Where are the accounts?

I admire your positivity about the situation, genuinely mate. But I think it’s very naive given the current climate that we will be able to recruit strongly next year. I think it all points towards an absolute nightmare.

Our transfer business has been consistently shocking since 2016. Why will this suddenly change? I can only think of one good signing in that period - Iorfa. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Who’s fault is that?

Will the cash flow issues be sorted next season? Are we completely sure we don’t face further sanctions in terms of points and embargo’s? Where are the accounts?

I admire your positivity about the situation, genuinely mate. But I think it’s very naive given the current climate that we will be able to recruit strongly next year. I think it all points towards an absolute nightmare.

Our transfer business has been consistently shocking since 2016. Why will this suddenly change? I can only think of one good signing in that period - Iorfa. 

Ordinarily I’d share your concern but were in the middle of a global pandemic where other clubs like Derby and Cardiff have had the same cash flow issues and we’ve also tried to recruit with -12 the latter of which is the owners fault. But pointing to last summer as a genuine example of our preferred recruitment isn’t accurate.

Im not really that positive just not diving head first into the depths of every negative and assuming the worst as the last season has been irregular in so many ways it’s difficult to get an accurate picture on where we stand moving forward. If we sign a shower of Sheite in the summer and remain in league one (or two) for a decade then I guess a few of you will be right but no one will be happy about it. I’d rather not put myself through the scenario before it’s a clearer reality. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Ordinarily I’d share your concern but were in the middle of a global pandemic where other clubs like Derby and Cardiff have had the same cash flow issues and we’ve also tried to recruit with -12 the latter of which is the owners fault. But pointing to last summer as a genuine example of our preferred recruitment isn’t accurate.

Im not really that positive just not diving head first into the depths of every negative and assuming the worst as the last season has been irregular in so many ways it’s difficult to get an accurate picture on where we stand moving forward. If we sign a shower of Sheite in the summer and remain in league one (or two) for a decade then I guess a few of you will be right but no one will be happy about it. I’d rather not put myself through the scenario before it’s a clearer reality. 

I can’t remember the last good transfer window we had. I’m not using last season as a comparison. I think since the summer of 2015, our transfer dealings have been consistently poor. Both incoming and outgoing. We’ve only signed 1 player with genuine resale value. The rest have been poor or injury prone. 

That’s why I’m not confident. I have no faith in the club under its current guise to get it right. Particularly with the huge turnover of playing staff that will be needed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Criteria new players must meet

Linked to Paxo agents tick

Wrong side of 30 tick

Injury prone tick

Unwanted by current club tick

Demands silly wages tick

Mentally weak tick

Can't do the basics tick

Don’t forget ‘Plays in a position we don’t need to strengthen’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We'll be a big draw in L1, not necessarily for the same quality of players we could attract in the championship, but relative to other L1 teams. 

Problem is, if Chansiri and Paxo still running recruitment, it's going to be a waste of time. Another disjointed, unbalanced, unmotivated team. We brought in Moore for a reason, need to give him freedom to do his job. 

While he remains, Chansiri's job is to provide the money and let the manager manage the squad. Paxo can make the tea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Only if we choose to sign them. We can choose not to, in fact I would say it's vital we don't.

There will always be players who are willing to play for us, we might just need to be a bit smarter in finding them. Players who are out of favour at their clubs. Good players at struggling clubs. Players coming to the end of their contracts at L1 and L2 clubs. The important thing is that they fit whatever system DM decides to go with. I think if we can get through next season and remain reasonably competitive then some of that fear factor that potential recruits might have, the worry about boarding a sinking ship, may evaporate.

This 100%.

We will not need players on £30k a week, but players on £7-10k a week is more likely.

In other words, players who know how to play inn the 1st division, worry about the Championship when that time comes along.

6 minutes ago, striker said:

We'll be a big draw in L1, not necessarily for the same quality of players we could attract in the championship, but relative to other L1 teams. 

Problem is, if Chansiri and Paxo still running recruitment, it's going to be a waste of time. Another disjointed, unbalanced, unmotivated team. We brought in Moore for a reason, need to give him freedom to do his job. 

While he remains, Chansiri's job is to provide the money and let the manager manage the squad. Paxo can make the tea. do one.

There thats better.

• Haha 1