Where would we be now?

Guest whowantstoberich
2 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

We came close to getting up through the back door but if we’re honest we didn’t really deserve to go up in 2015/16 or 2016/17.

We were never in the top 3 in the table at any point of either season that I can remember 

If that’s case scrap playoffs and send up top 3

2 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

We came close to getting up through the back door but if we’re honest we didn’t really deserve to go up in 2015/16 or 2016/17.

We were never in the top 3 in the table at any point of either season that I can remember 

But then again everyone knows the format prior to the season starting. 

A lot of major leagues in all sports end up with a winner decided by playoffs (IPL, NFL etc) after a league season I guess, different skill required to win a knockout under pressure than performance over 46 i suppose. 

Still cant believe we didnt get through Hudders when Reading knocked out that Fulham side 😞

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

But then again everyone knows the format prior to the season starting. 

A lot of major leagues in all sports end up with a winner decided by playoffs (IPL, NFL etc) after a league season I guess, different skill required to win a knockout under pressure than performance over 46 i suppose. 

Still cant believe we didnt get through Hudders when Reading knocked out that Fulham side 😞

Yes everyone knows the format but even a Wednesday fan would struggle to argue we were one of the 3 best sides in the division either year.

The bookies never had us odds on for promotion at any stage like Norwich and Brentford are currently.

From memory in the 2015/16 season we didn’t beat any of the top 6 in the league.

And we only won 1 out of the 5 play off games we played over the two years so didn’t really deliver under the knock out pressure either

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mainsey said:

Exactly the same position. We’ve seen money wasted on garbage and old championship players. That shows if we got promoted we’d likely have done the exact same but on old and garbage premier league players. We would’ve likely gone down and spent stupidly to try get back up but wasted it again and be on the verge of relegation (as we are now)

My thoughts exactly.

I'd say we'd be exactly where we are now just 6pointd better off as I suspect the Premier League money would have avoided the ridiculous stadium sale fiasco 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

When we got to Wembley, we beat a Brighton side that got hammered with injuries early on. It can happen to any team but let’s not kid ourselves - we had a huge helping of luck in that first leg semi. 

We did, but I wouldn't downplay it too much.

We were much the better side than them in the first leg even before they all started dropping like flies.

Having survived the Alamo in the first half of the second leg we deservedly got through imo.

Unfortunately, we then got absolutely outclassed by that Hull team. Wasn't even close that final despite the single goal loss.

• Love 3

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We did, but I wouldn't downplay it too much.

We were much the better side than them in the first leg even before they all started dropping like flies.

Having survived the Alamo in the first half of the second leg we deservedly got through imo.

Unfortunately, we then got absolutely outclassed by that Hull team. Wasn't even close that final despite the single goal loss.

The final was as one sided on the pitch as off the pitch. Our fans deserved something that day. Best atmosphere I’ve been a part of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

It would have probably been a disaster.

I mean, Chansiri has managed to convince himself he's doing a great job without promotion, so just imagine what he'd be like now if we had got up.

I wonder if we have sold us once in the prem! After all he's told us he's a successful business man! 

We destroyed the team spirit by signing 'big money ' players like Dave Jones , Almen Abdi and Steven Fletcher at Championship level, so God knows what journeymen and chancers we would have signed as a Premier League club.

Personally,  I think we would have gone straight back down , playing a lot poorer than we did going up. 

Those saying 'where Hull are now' are not far off the money . 

33 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can you send me all your evidence for that please

What a silly request - no one apart from the clubs themselves have that information but any causal observer who has followed the game for a while can deduce this - it’s not rocket science.

Any middling club that can make a steady go of things in the Prem and survive must be doing a few things right.

Clubs that get themselves into a mess through  lack of/poor leadership - financial overextension, poor decision making over transfers, fees, the ground etc -  like us basically over the last few seasons  - tend to put themselves at risk of sliding away in what is very unforgiving  environment - See Portsmouth et al

Edited by Earlsfieldowl