Where would we be now?

In the season of the play off final I wanted to go up but thought the team was a good way off being Premiership ready. 
So I think we would have come down in that first season back.

The big difference would have been that we would have come down with Parachute payments and a much better reputation so it’s not a certainty that we would be where we are now. We would have avoided FFP pitfalls etc and it’s not inconceivable that DC would have been a better chairman under those circumstances. We might be back up again and doing Ok in mid table. 

I’m not really saying the above is the most likely scenario but it’s possible. 
In Football (like life) small things make large differences in the long haul. In some parallel universe Almen Abdi didn’t get any injuries and fired us to victory against Huddersfield in the play off semi and we then stuffed Reading and never looked back!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

How do you think the little oinkers will go next season. Struggle or straight back up? 

I think they'll do OK, for the same reason that we won't when we go down.

Because it comes down to knowledge of the players in that league and those below.

Tufty will basically do what he did last time; get reasonably-priced players and fashion a cohesive team with them.

He already knows the teams in the Championship, or most of them, so it will hold no surprises for him.

By contrast, we'll bring in a foreign coach who's got absolutely no idea about the Third tier and it's teams, and Paixao will be picking the players whom he'll have to try to mould into some kind of team.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mainsey said:

Exactly the same position. We’ve seen money wasted on garbage and old championship players. That shows if we got promoted we’d likely have done the exact same but on old and garbage premier league players. We would’ve likely gone down and spent stupidly to try get back up but wasted it again and be on the verge of relegation (as we are now)

Beat me to it 

• Thanks 1

We've never had either the infrastructure, nor strategy to consistently achieve and progress as a club, be it on the pitch or commercially.

We have never recruited with a strategy and we've not done anything off the pitch to improve as a club or give us the platform to build upon from bringing in players we can develop. We've had some top high achieving execs come and go, such as Katrien and Palmer, people who have delivered results at high level and they leave after making no difference at all to the club. 

The coaching team is a bare bones crew made up of ex players and 'mates', but the quality isn't great by any stretch. 

To expect a club to establish itself amongst the elite clubs of the premiership that is so badly run, with such little expertise throughout, is nothing short of fantasy. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, 0742 said:

We've never had either the infrastructure, nor strategy to consistently achieve and progress as a club, be it on the pitch or commercially.

We have never recruited with a strategy and we've not done anything off the pitch to improve as a club or give us the platform to build upon from bringing in players we can develop. We've had some top high achieving execs come and go, such as Katrien and Palmer, people who have delivered results at high level and they leave after making no difference at all to the club. 

The coaching team is a bare bones crew made up of ex players and 'mates', but the quality isn't great by any stretch. 

To expect a club to establish itself amongst the elite clubs of the premiership that is so badly run, with such little expertise throughout, is nothing short of fantasy. 

Agree totally about the coaching team, no offence but I watched the game on ifollow on Saturday and saw Thompson along with Weaver,Bullen and Haslam in the dugout all crowded round each other Sunday league style with Thompson with his pen and pad out writing notes and i thought 'what the hell has happened to us'  that's not championship coach and staff material whatsoever.

• Like 2

Just now, Sanchez_Jenks said:

Loads of embarrassing four year deals for 30 plus injury prone players. Basically the same mess we're in now we'd have just had a taste of the prem to justify it all 

Take this both ways. 30 plus year olds but also 30 plus players that fit this criteria 

3 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Agree totally about the coaching team, no offence but I watched the game on ifollow on Saturday and saw Thompson along with Weaver,Bullen and Haslam in the dugout all crowded round each other Sunday league style with Thompson with his pen and pad out writing notes and i thought 'what the hell has happened to us'  that's not championship coach and staff material whatsoever.

Yeah it does seem they all chuck their views in but no clear strategy! Too many cooks an all that.. 

I don’t think the “recruitment” guy(s) would have recruited who we needed so probably back down with a bigger wage bill.

Parachute payments eaten up by wages so probably still in the Championship now but without the points deduction. 
Maybe 😆

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

We came close to getting up through the back door but if we’re honest we didn’t really deserve to go up in 2015/16 or 2016/17.

We were never in the top 3 in the table at any point of either season that I can remember 

2016 we finished about 19 points behind Brighton, and we wouldn't have beaten them if they hadn't had 4 stretchered off at the theatre of nightmares, and ended with ten men.

Had we fluked a win against the more experienced Hull, we would have been one of the worst sides ever to get in the Prem.   But we would have had money from parachute payments. I'm not sure it would have been spent wisely though.  Yes, we could have finished up like Hull.   5-0 away win at Wigan last week and a 3-3 at Donny on Saturday.  8 goals in two games.  I could live with that.