Emma Hayes - AFC Wimbledon Reports an ‘Insult’ to Women’s football

0wl18

2 hours ago, Rogers said:

Everyone want to see Chelsea Women’s team play Wimbledon’s men’s? 

It'd be useless 

Maybe Wimbledon u16 against Chelsea Women 1st team as more of an equal contest?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

4 down at half time, wonder if the Wimbledon jobs still open? 🙃

To be fair Chelsea created enough to be 3-1 in front before Barcelona got their second. 

The problem is not the Mens  v Womens game. The problem is Womens Football has tried to replicate exactly the same failing model that is completely uncompetitive  e.g. Man 2  Arsenal & Chelsea + PSG & Barcelona. What's more Doncaster Belles were destroyed on the financial alter. 

The game is being totally exposed to Overkill and after the initial return to the terraces I fully expect attendances to fall away .. This week ends cup final was just one more crap game in a long line of crap games.

The Government in yet another U turn appear relaxed regarding Sky rolling over a new three year deal despite earlier promises of a fan lead initiative being supported.    

I think she was being tongue in cheek about the Wimbledon link, but it didn't come across brilliantly , and she should have chosen her words more carefully perhaps seeing as there are huge amounts of people just waiting to pour scorn on her and the women's game.

The Guardian football weekly podcast did a very balanced review of the Champions League Final, it's worth a listen.

Barry Glendenning put across the view that the Chelsea ' hype' had led people to believe that they were a shoe in to win it, but it was only when he saw the betting odds he realised that this was far from the case. 

Suzy Wrack who wrote the very good piece on Emma Hayes in Saturdays Guardian tried to deflect the blame on the ' Media' for bigging up their chances like the do with the England team, but Glendenning wasn't having any of it..going as far to suggest that the hype, publicity and subsequent terrible performance and battering Chelsea received may have convinced any doubters that the womens game is still miles away from the standard those involved in it think it is. It certainly wasn't a good advert, put it that way.

That's the problem with the women's game , isn't it?  It is a completely different standard to the men's, and the two really shouldn't be compared as a spectacle, but that is what's being sold to us at the moment.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I think she was being tongue in cheek about the Wimbledon link, but it didn't come across brilliantly , and she should have chosen her words more carefully perhaps seeing as there are huge amounts of people just waiting to pour scorn on her and the women's game.

The Guardian football weekly podcast did a very balanced review of the Champions League Final, it's worth a listen.

Barry Glendenning put across the view that the Chelsea ' hype' had led people to believe that they were a shoe in to win it, but it was only when he saw the betting odds he realised that this was far from the case. 

Suzy Wrack who wrote the very good piece on Emma Hayes in Saturdays Guardian tried to deflect the blame on the ' Media' for bigging up their chances like the do with the England team, but Glendenning wasn't having any of it..going as far to suggest that the hype, publicity and subsequent terrible performance and battering Chelsea received may have convinced any doubters that the womens game is still miles away from the standard those involved in it think it is. It certainly wasn't a good advert, put it that way.

That's the problem with the women's game , isn't it?  It is a completely different standard to the men's, and the two really shouldn't be compared as a spectacle, but that is what's being sold to us at the moment.

I resent it all to be honest because it’s being forced...just because it’s football doesn’t mean that we have to like it and yes it’s getting more popular but that is just at the cost of traditional women’s sports like hockey and netball in this country. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I resent it all to be honest because it’s being forced...just because it’s football doesn’t mean that we have to like it and yes it’s getting more popular but that is just at the cost of traditional women’s sports like hockey and netball in this country. 

"Traditional"?

Weird last point.

Agree that it is a bit forced down people's throats these days, but then that's how you promote it.

Not like men's football isn't relentlessly promoted despite its popularity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

"Traditional"?

Weird last point.

Agree that it is a bit forced down people's throats these days, but then that's how you promote it.

Other sports I don't watch are promoted, so I ignore them.

People resenting womens football highlights insecurity really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

"Traditional"?

Weird last point.

What is weird? Usually the sports sporty girls gravitate to, being eroded by football money

Someone mentioned this the other day and I think they have a point.

The problem women’s football has is the market is already saturated. If anything there is too much televised football at the moment. 

It’s also following the trap that men’s football has gone down with rich clubs (in there case subsidised by men’s teams) dominating already and a scramble to sign expensive foreign talent. 

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

It’s also following the trap that men’s football has gone down with rich clubs (in there case subsidised by men’s teams) dominating already and a scramble to sign expensive foreign talent. 

It's exactly what the PL/EFL want

To make it elitist - i know the womens game is under the regulation of The FA - but the PL are watching closely

There has been talk of the PL taking over the top division - in which case i think we all know what would happen...

They have apready done it with academy football and made it so uncompetitive that a ot of clubs should really consider if it's worth them haviing an academy

On 18/05/2021 at 17:55, Bannofan said:

Listened to that podcast too and fully agree. 

I have no issues with the upsurge in promoting of women's football, but if we're brutally honest it is utter shyte and a manager such as Hayes should never be in with a shout of getting a job at a side in L2 or above.

It's like a successful Sunday league pub manager expecting a job in the Conference. 

• Like 2

It`s nice to see womens football growing but it`s the entitlement i can`t stomach.

We should have better facilities , media coverage etc ,   teams in the conference must fume at this , because , and I`m guessing here , their attendances and that of the WSL will be similar.

Help it grow by all means but lets not pretend it`s something it isn`t......................................The USA womens team..............essentially the best womens team in the world , played a warm up friendly a few years ago against FC Dallas`s U15,s boys team......................they lost  5 - 2.

• Like 3