Emma Hayes - AFC Wimbledon Reports an ‘Insult’ to Women’s football

0wl18

Once again we have the gender card thrown in for good measure.

It's not sexist to say that a top women's team is a million miles away from it's male equivalent, neither is it wrong to suggest that it's best coaches should be honoured to be linked with a job at a League One club.

That's the reality, the hard facts, which these days are seemingly not allowed to be said in case someone is offended.

Emma Hayes should have jumped at the chance of managing AFC Wimbledon if it was indeed offered her. She most likely didn't because she knew she'd be out of her comfort zone from the off, working with players who aren't the best at the level they operate in.

In other words, Hayes can talk the talk, but ultimately is a bottler. Which in itself does more harm than good for any other aspiring female coach who really want's a crack within the men's game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

If the rules allow, would love to see women's teams entering the FA Cup or applying for league status as it would provide a genuine gauge of just how good they are.

Rather than a female team ( Which in general would be soundly beaten  ) simply let women try to get a place in a football league team just like the men, if there good enough , they are good enough as simple as that. 

eg some boys play professional football at 16, there's no way they are fully grown at that stage or as strong as most 25 year old's but there speed and skill allow them to play.

1 hour ago, Geedee said:

Rather than a female team ( Which in general would be soundly beaten  ) simply let women try to get a place in a football league team just like the men, if there good enough , they are good enough as simple as that. 

eg some boys play professional football at 16, there's no way they are fully grown at that stage or as strong as most 25 year old's but there speed and skill allow them to play.

A decent u16s team would beat most women's team, the gulf is that big. It was tongue in cheek but I said earlier make it unisex like American football which is actually a unisex sport, but you would never see a female player lol

17 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

If the rules allow, would love to see women's teams entering the FA Cup or applying for league status as it would provide a genuine gauge of just how good they are.

Put them in their own cup against the u23 teams. Winners of each group or top 2 qualify for the ldv vans or whatever it is these days

4 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

A decent u16s team would beat most women's team, the gulf is that big. It was tongue in cheek but I said earlier make it unisex like American football which is actually a unisex sport, but you would never see a female player lol

Then that s fine if women want equality of opportunity let them compete on an equal basis. I don't see how anything can be fairer than that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Put them in their own cup against the u23 teams. Winners of each group or top 2 qualify for the ldv vans or whatever it is these days

No, no, no I want to see them have a proper bash at competing against the men if only to put an end to the ridiculous nonsense that Emma Hayes spouted last week. As someone said earlier, she's a bottler of the highest order and a full blown hypocrite.

Quite happy to take Abramovic's dosh yet totally unwilling to prove if she has really got what it takes whilst in turn insulting the men's game.

On 19/02/2021 at 07:55, Ever the pessimist said:

Even if they were allowed, even invited, the women’s teams wouldn’t accept. They know that they would get heavily beaten by any men’s team they faced.

That’s not me denigrating the women by the way, I coach a girls’ team and I / they really enjoy it, but even at that age (under 11) the boys teams are a lot physically stronger.

And yet according to the FA there's no physical differences between genes until 16+

Though a girl I know plays on a local all girls team u14s but they play in the boys league which they won last year! 

Not the same sport, granted. But there is a good video on YouTube of a 400m mixed gender relay race.

Every team bar 1 has the men doing the last leg. The one who doesn't is miiiiles in the lead but the 3 guys behind just fly past her. They are elite athletes so not like she is a nobody.

A few seconds difference over 400m between men and women may not seem much but when u can see it on track....its remarkable.

Thats why women can't compete with men in most sports. Unfortunate but that's just genetics.

• Like 2

So, Chelsea are in the Champions League final tomorrow ( Free to watch via BT Sport)  .

There is a long profile on Emma Hayes in the Guardian today, and she's certainly got an interesting background.

Lots of successful coaching and development in the U.S., as well as the nounce to transform the families currency exchange business by developing software systems and websites. She also studied a masters degree in Intelligence and International Affairs at Liverpool Uni. 

Basically Chelsea have cleaned up this season due to having the worlds best players , and also by having a very competent coach.

If they win the Champions League, a character like Hayes must be looking for a new challenge.

Surely she now needs to look at starting at National League / League 2 level in the mens game ?

Off the pitch, there is no reason why women should not be able to coach / manage at elite men's level.

However.

Overcoming potential sexism, disrespect, and inevitable judgement due to the fact that they are women. Completely different kettle of fish.

It won't be coaching / management ability (or lack thereof) that hampers women's progress in men's professional football.

I don't know if the same could be said for BAME Managers at elite level as well?