Emma Hayes - AFC Wimbledon Reports an ‘Insult’ to Women’s football

0wl18

Surprised this hasn’t been covered on here already. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11668/12206672/emma-hayes-shuts-down-afc-wimbledon-rumours-and-will-stay-on-as-chelsea-women-boss-in-wsl

She’s since clarified her comments with regards to Wimbledon not being able to afford her. Apparently she has the best job in the world and no amount of money could tempt her away.

I personally think it’s an absolute car crash of an interview. She merely had to say she wasn’t looking for a new job and, wasn’t interested. Decided to make it an us V them style interview which will probably see her never approached for a vacancy in the football league again. 

The fact of the matter is, she’s managing the best within the Women’s game, it’s not an insult to state that there’s more interest in the male side of the game. Would it be an insult for the best youth team manager in the world to be approached for the position? It’s the same principle with age being the differing factor as opposed to gender. 

• Like 3

Not seen the full interview only snippets but......

To say it's an insult, I wonder how much damage that could do to other women wanted to make it in the men's game and earn themselves some decent money?

What if teams like Wimbledon who just returned to Plough Lane after 30 years, new beginning etc now think, if that's the attitude then we wont bother?

All that's needed to be said was thanks but no thanks.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

It’s totally delusional. I get that she has to big up the WSL but come on. A pub team would beat these ‘world class players’ she’s on about. 

Absolutely.

The fact that she seemed to be so offended by it. Bizarre.

By all means, big up women's football and the players you manage, but don't sit there and pretty much slate AFC Wimbledon. 

Respect works both ways. 

Would she say the same if it was a more high profile club than little old Wimbledon? I suspect not.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Let's be reyt, there's no chance a professional football league club will ever appoint a female. 

Even less chance now. Comments like hers aren’t exactly going to help matters — especially considering the huge amount of scrutiny a female coach would be under if a men’s team hired her — totally tone deaf

Emma Hayes like many sporting people has fallen into the trap of a 'Deep seated belief in their own brand of rhetoric'.

I don't criticise the fact that she comes across with an east London working class persona. She has developed a false belief that her footballing ingenuity has engineered a recipe that has turned Chelsea Ladies F.C. into a leading light on the European football circuit.

This of course is a totally false perspective. Backed by the resources that has allowed her to bring on board the better players on offer from across the globe. Players that are stand out in comparison to the journeymen Ladies of the game. Players that have speed, strength, agility, fitness and tight turning circles. But only when compared to other females.

So yes, Emma Hayes will make hay while ever the Chelsea sun carries on shinning. However, I have grave doubts as to whether she could work a similar miracle were she to take the reigns at AFC Wimbledon. I would go further to say Wimbledon would be fool hardy indeed to embark on such an adventure.     

3 hours ago, owls maniac said:

It’s totally delusional. I get that she has to big up the WSL but come on. A pub team would beat these ‘world class players’ she’s on about. 

The USA womens team.........basically the best womens team in the world , played a warm up game before a tournament a few years ago against Dallas Boys academy U15 team................................the lads won 5 - 2.

• Like 1