Liam Shaw - Celtic?

Apart from being a fan there's no other reason to stay. Clubs going nowhere, no track record or willingness to promote and trust in youth players, fanbase stuck in 2015, likely to be in league 1 next season. If I were him i'd be away in the summer. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Great. A potential multi million pound player and we end up with compensation.

Question I’d like to ask is. Why wasn’t Shaw offered a new deal this time last year to prevent this type of thing happening?

His potential would have been known to the club. Or at least I bloody hope it was - they work with him every day.

As with all academy players, a year ago I doubt he would have been anywhere near the standard he is now.

Although he must have shown promise early as his contract was for 3 years, I wouldn't have thought he would have had it extended with still almost a year and half to run.

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, Bing Cosby said:

He'll either leave and become an England international, or we'll sign him up on a long contract and he'll end up injured all the time and/or crap.

It's The Wednesday way.

People wer clamouring for George hirst to be given a big whopping contract...2 years later he still hasn’t scored a goal...bullet dodged...

16 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

We'd be entitled to compensation due to his age.

The rate of competition will in no way make up for what he may be worth if he carries on progressing.

I would hope he will want to extend his contract with us anyway.

• Like 1

We are all a bit glass half empty at the moment....

It’s great to hear a Wednesday player is in demand. For once, we might be doing something right. I am sure he has seen what has happened recently to players in his position. He is getting in the team and is improving every game. He has been offered a new deal and I am sure there is some negotiation going on. Any agent advising he leaves Wednesday and moves to somewhere like Celtic, needs their bumps feeling. At a formative stage in his career, how will that help improve him? If he’s good enough, big money will come with Wednesday or somewhere else. Hes come a long way, he has a long way to go...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

As with all academy players, a year ago I doubt he would have been anywhere near the standard he is now.

Although he must have shown promise early as his contract was for 3 years, I wouldn't have thought he would have had it extended with still almost a year and half to run.

Monk put him in the first team last season. On that basis he was considered part of the first team. Therefore he should have been offered a contract last summer to prevent this stuff happening. It’s just poor planning. 

Maybe I’m being too critical. But I don’t think we should be in a position where a bright young talent like Shaw has 6 months left on his contract. Should have been sorted earlier. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Celtic’s interest has a chance to complicate matters now. If the Bhoys are truly keen, they could look to sign him up on a pre-contract basis.

That would see them away with only paying Sheffield Wednesday compensation money.

Would Celtic have to pay compensation if he left? 

I thought the rule was if you're under a certain age you get it from a team in the same country but wouldn't him moving to Celtic be the same as when Hirst moved to Belgium i.e we'd get sweet FA?

Guest mrbluesky
4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Apart from being a fan there's no other reason to stay. Clubs going nowhere, no track record or willingness to promote and trust in youth players, fanbase stuck in 2015, likely to be in league 1 next season. If I were him i'd be away in the summer. 

Apart from that, chances of him staying

Guest Therealrealist
3 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

cannot see him going, knows what has happened to Clare and Hirst

Hirst has trousered a life changing contract...thankfully it’s leicester paying it and not us...if shaw can get a decent contract he will be off

15 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

You said nothing though, it certainly wouldn't be nothing. The amount is set by a tribunal if the clubs can't agree a price. Same thing happened with Daniel Sturridge when left Man City as a youngster, them and Chelsea couldn't agree a price so the tribunal set it at 3.5 million, doesn't sound much but that was in 2009.

But Scotland's a difference country.

The lad from Fulham dembele worth £5-10m, fulham only got £500k Celtic sold him a few years later for £20m.

Rangers and Celtic have been doing it for years, but so have Arsenal with Europe. Fabragas was at Barcelona, not Arsenals youth set up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

He'll either leave and become an England international, or we'll sign him up on a long contract and he'll end up injured all the time and/or crap.

It's The Wednesday way.

Let’s hope he’s the exception.

Looks to have proper potential.