Liam Shaw - Celtic?

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

What stage do we go out ?

We don’t play champions league football..just like celtic

9 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Along with another 10 or so first teamers that weren't in the squad last night. Could have been any number of reasons as to why. 

Yup, definitely, such as COVID plus a certain important game against Coventry coming up. That’s 2 reasons for starters

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Normally I would agree with you but he is likely to be a first team regular at Celtic. Means trophies and guaranteed Champions League. Better standard than league one and no salary cap. 

We’re not seeing eye to eye tonight. My belief is he will play at a better standard of football and therefore learn his trade and improve his playing standards with us rather than Celtic. Yes, he may play in the CL preliminary rounds; yes he may win a Scottish trophy. Are they his priorities at 19, when he is a million miles from the finished article? I also believe we will pay him more.

if we don’t and he decides to go there, good luck to him. That should give Brennan his chance, who could also prove to be a blinder.

Same happened with Dawson. Linked with Rangers gets a bumper contract. Think it's often the agents or those linked to the players who start these rumours to give the players a better bargaining position.  I'd say his development is better if he stayed (using the likes of where George Hirst, Sean Clare as an example of moves) are now. Grass isn't always greener - although the big negative is the shower that we are currently in. Hey at least he'll get opportunities if we're in League 1 next year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pieman said:

We’re not seeing eye to eye tonight. My belief is he will play at a better standard of football and therefore learn his trade and improve his playing standards with us rather than Celtic. Yes, he may play in the CL preliminary rounds; yes he may win a Scottish trophy. Are they his priorities at 19, when he is a million miles from the finished article? I also believe we will pay him more.

if we don’t and he decides to go there, good luck to him. That should give Brennan his chance, who could also prove to be a blinder.

I believe we will be playing in league 1 next season. I believe the Scottish Premiership is a higher standard. 
Also our record of improving players is not great whereas Celtic have a good record of gambling on potential and selling on to a higher level at a profit. 
We don’t have to see eye to eye buddy cos WAWAW ? 

74ABF174-A46C-4355-A975-800E8EA42A06.png

1 minute ago, Kelham Owl said:

Can't see this happening. The lad strikes me as a proper Wednesday fan that would want to do right by the club. Besides, the quality of the Scottish Premiership is hardly any better than the Championship.

It’s significantly worse IMO.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Nobody even knew who shaw was a few months ago...now everybody’s having a meltdown garymegson

No meltdown here bud.

Just SMH at the incompetence that the club allows these situations to arise, should have learned the lesson the first time with George Hirst and the second third and fourth time with Fletcher, Fox etc in the summer

He's been in and around the first team for a while now - but nothing surprises me with the club anymore

Edited by Gob_Bluth
  • Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, Kelham Owl said:

Can't see this happening. The lad strikes me as a proper Wednesday fan that would want to do right by the club. Besides, the quality of the Scottish Premiership is hardly any better than the Championship.

It will be all about money...if Wednesday offer him 3k a week and some other clubs offer him 7k do you think he will stay? I would want to get set for life ASAP...just like hirst..if it all goes pear shaped they can start again in a couple of years...

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I believe we will be playing in league 1 next season. I believe the Scottish Premiership is a higher standard. 
Also our record of improving players is not great whereas Celtic have a good record of gambling on potential and selling on to a higher level at a profit. 
We don’t have to see eye to eye buddy cos WAWAW ? 

74ABF174-A46C-4355-A975-800E8EA42A06.png

The Scottish prem is league 1 at best. Without opening up the tiresome Celtic and rangers playing in England debate, if Celtic played the second half of the season in the Championship, they would be bottom half IMO. Hamilton Academicals, Ross County, St Mirren.....come on.

• Haha 1

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

No meltdown here bud.

Just SMH at the incompetence that the club allows these situations to arise, should have learned the lesson the first time with George Hirst and the second third and fourth time with Fletcher, Fox etc in the summer

He's been in and around the first team for a while now - but nothing surprises me with the club anymore

But surely we dodged a bullet with the hapless hirst...he wanted 10k a week apparently :duntmatter:

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

But surely we dodged a bullet with the hapless hirst...he wanted 10k a week apparently :duntmatter:

Who knows

Who can stay if he'd have stayed he wouldn't have kicked on and we'd have turned him into a baller, or he'd have stayed and done his ACL in his first full match and ruined his career through injury

Who can say that the season he didn't play for us and the season in Belgium didn't do irreparable damage to his career

As it is it looks like we did dodge a bullet but football and a successful career are built on very fine margins and the right bit of luck at the right time

Wings of a butterfly and all that jazz

I know one thing for certain.

If we don't secure Shaw on a new deal the academy should almost certainly be closed. If we can't see decent players under our noses and have the planning and foresight to secure them as playing and financial assets of the club there is zero point. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I know one thing for certain.

If we don't secure Shaw on a new deal the academy should almost certainly be closed. If we can't see decent players under our noses and have the planning and foresight to secure them as playing and financial assets of the club there is zero point. 

100% this 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Great. A potential multi million pound player and we end up with compensation.

Question I’d like to ask is. Why wasn’t Shaw offered a new deal this time last year to prevent this type of thing happening?

His potential would have been known to the club. Or at least I bloody hope it was - they work with him every day

Because last season he was not near the first team. He will sign a new contract now he has made the first team. It's not long ago many on here saying our kids were not up to much. Now we are giving them a chance others can see opportunities for making the first team. Not before time too.

Guest mrbluesky
Just now, 83owl said:

If I were him and wanted to stay in the local area I’d be asking my agent to speak to Barnsley and see if they were interested. 

Even Chezzy.