Liam Shaw - Celtic?

24 minutes ago, Pieman said:

The Scottish prem is league 1 at best. Without opening up the tiresome Celtic and rangers playing in England debate, if Celtic played the second half of the season in the Championship, they would be bottom half IMO. Hamilton Academicals, Ross County, St Mirren.....come on.

Celtic would be good enough for promotion in the championship and Rangers.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Great. A potential multi million pound player and we end up with compensation.

Question I’d like to ask is. Why wasn’t Shaw offered a new deal this time last year to prevent this type of thing happening?

His potential would have been known to the club. Or at least I bloody hope it was - they work with him every day.

2 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Because last season he was not near the first team. He will sign a new contract now he has made the first team. It's not long ago many on here saying our kids were not up to much. Now we are giving them a chance others can see opportunities for making the first team. Not before time too.

@SallyCinnamon This is just one more example of incompetence. We aren't organised, we don't have development plans for the players, we don't have anyone looking over contracts to spot these grenades before they blow up in our faces.......and we probably don't have anyone able to negotiate a deal especially now we are in a weakened position with this player.

@Big Jack What you are essentially saying is we had no idea he was any good until he played in the first team. I can't accept that, we have to know he has potential, he was clearly at a stage where he should have been out on loan playing at a decent level. The harsh reality is the people that work with him daily probably saw his potential but those higher up are so unorganised they couldn't work out a development path for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Therealrealist said:

One good game v Exeter so far...this is a bit like the #flair situation..

I was just thinking the exact same thing. In fact Sean Clare had more first team experience when he left the club.

Shaw has shown a lot of promise but we shouldn’t be throwing money at him in order to keep him at the club, we should make a sensible offer and if he refuses then so be it.

Also if Celtic were to try and sign him this month, then we should be seriously considering a bid of anything over £1m.

I’d love to see him stay here but not at any cost.

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
20 minutes ago, Morepork said:

@SallyCinnamon This is just one more example of incompetence. We aren't organised, we don't have development plans for the players, we don't have anyone looking over contracts to spot these grenades before they blow up in our faces.......and we probably don't have anyone able to negotiate a deal especially now we are in a weakened position with this player.

@Big Jack What you are essentially saying is we had no idea he was any good until he played in the first team. I can't accept that, we have to know he has potential, he was clearly at a stage where he should have been out on loan playing at a decent level. The harsh reality is the people that work with him daily probably saw his potential but those higher up are so unorganised they couldn't work out a development path for him.

Under 19’s, under 23’s and now first team. Surely that’s a development plan in itself. 

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

Under 19’s, under 23’s and now first team. Surely that’s a development plan in itself. 

It’s not though is it and any well run club knows the importance of competitive experience in a players development. 

26 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I was just thinking the exact same thing. In fact Sean Clare had more first team experience when he left the club.

Shaw has shown a lot of promise but we shouldn’t be throwing money at him in order to keep him at the club, we should make a sensible offer and if he refuses then so be it.

Also if Celtic were to try and sign him this month, then we should be seriously considering a bid of anything over £1m.

I’d love to see him stay here but not at any cost.

I think Shaw could be worth more than 15 million in 2-3 seasons.  

Anything at 1million we as well be giving him away.  

Priority should be to get a new contract agreed and signed for the foreseeable, preferably4 years or more.  

Anything less or letting him go that cheaply would be a joke imo.  

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
7 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It’s not though is it and any well run club knows the importance of competitive experience in a players development. 

But if they are good enough, why would you send them out on loan. Can’t see what the club have done wrong with his development. Just need to get the contract sorted now

Guest LondonOwl313

I think he’ll stay assuming we can offer some half decent wages, which is debatable. The lad has potential but a lot to prove still and more likely to do it here playing games then sitting in someone else’s under 23s.

Given we pay Dawson 8k to be our third choice keeper I’m sure we can stretch to that and tie down a decent talent 

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Great. A potential multi million pound player and we end up with compensation.

Question I’d like to ask is. Why wasn’t Shaw offered a new deal this time last year to prevent this type of thing happening?

His potential would have been known to the club. Or at least I bloody hope it was - they work with him every day.

This is the bloody problem with us. We don’t plan more than 12 months ahead.

We don’t sell players so only way to get rid us to release them then end up with long big contracts we can’t afford and not affording players we want to keep because of it.

We can’t carry on 

I wonder if the 3 people who laughed at this post are still laughing now 

Offer them peanuts to stay, then freeze them out and tell them they won't play again when they refuse such a low ball offer. It's the Chansiri way. Shaw's agent will have been on to other clubs straight away and it looks like there's plenty of interest. 

:Chansiri:

Say what you will about Pulis but he was the one who really had faith in Shaw and kept picking him even after his red card.

I would expect Bannan, Reach and Shaw to desert the sinking ship. Even being a wednesday fan isn’t enough to put up with chansiri’s buffonery.

Edited by Lincowl

Some people are getting very carried away here!

Multi-million player, worth £15m in a few years. Christ, we could do with a fee on the scouting side of things if someone can spot a £15m player so easily!

Lad's had a couple of good games, but I remember people getting this excited about Leigh Bromby.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

we always whinge that we dont sell players and now when we have one we can we still whinge .....

Don't think people would be so worried if his contract wasn't running out. Relying on a tribunal set compensation fee would probably see us receive a pittance.