Andy Hinchliffe “Chansiri wants to do the managing”

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

As much as I wasn't a fan of Pulis at the club, it makes more sense than DC just deciding he wasn't right after 10 games when you look at how long it took him to pull the trigger on Carlos, Jos & Monk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

As much as I wasn't a fan of Pulis at the club, it makes more sense than DC just deciding he wasn't right after 10 games when you look at how long it took him to pull the trigger on Carlos, Jos & Monk

That and poor performances, players not liking his methods, continued change of formations & leaking stories to the press 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If it's true, with all the gaps/lack of knowledge displayed by Chansiri, he should really stop trying to be the manager and rather remain the club owner, as he's clearly out of his depth on the manager side of things. And I struggle to see who would want to come in as a coach in such a restrictive work environment too.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DJMortimer said:

For all his faults, I'm not convinced this is especially true.

He spent something like £8m that we couldn't afford on Rhodes and seemed sanguine to let a succession of managers keep him in the stands or on the bench. Then there has been the Westwood and Hutchinson hokey cokey in and out of first team consideration for the last couple of years, endless rotation of forwards for a while, swapping of goalkeepers and Monk deciding the club's future direction at a crucial period by reverting to a change of formation.

You don’t know who makes those decisions tho 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

For all his faults, I'm not convinced this is especially true.

He spent something like £8m that we couldn't afford on Rhodes and seemed sanguine to let a succession of managers keep him in the stands or on the bench. Then there has been the Westwood and Hutchinson hokey cokey in and out of first team consideration for the last couple of years, endless rotation of forwards for a while, swapping of goalkeepers and Monk deciding the club's future direction at a crucial period by reverting to a change of formation.

It seems to me the word “manage” is being used slightly ambiguously here - I don’t think Hinchliffe means DC wants to pick the team every week like some owners, but giving someone the title of “manager” implies a degree of input into decisions on transfers, club strategy etc that DC has been totally unwilling to do.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hinchcliffe said: "He [Pulis] was brought in to keep them up. You can see the sense in the appointment.

You only have to look at his track record to see what he has done with teams and what he possibly could have done at Sheffield Wednesday but the numbers aren't great.

One win in 10. They scored six goals and conceded 12. 

"I watched them play a couple of times they didn't look like they were playing high enough up the pitch to score goals and win games.

"It was an incredibly difficult situation but I think the major problem at Sheffield Wednesday is that if you want to be a manager there and you want to have a say in the running of the club and prospective transfers, that is maybe not going to happen.

"I think Chansiri wants a coach. He wants to manage the club, the philosophy, do all the transfer dealings and let the coach coach the players. 

"If you are talking about Paul Cook, Danny Cowley, Gus Poyet...if they want to go in as managers then I'm not sure that is going to be allowed because they want someone to coach the set of players and they do have a decent set of players there at Sheffield Wednesday.

"But I have always felt that the owner there seems to do the managing and they want someone to do the coaching.

"Danny Cowley had that problem when he was talking to Huddersfield about taking the job there.

He didn't want to be head coach. He wanted to be manager and have more control.

"I don't think Chansiri wants to give any coach or manager that type of control.

”He wants the control and for the coach to do the job and maybe that was where the frustration came in for Tony Pulis, not being allowed to maybe do what he wanted to do in January.

Maybe he’s right but the bit about Pulis’s return from ten games and sitting too deep to score goals ring very true. 

He was happy to camp in our own half when we were one nil down and didn’t look like creating anything. TP tactics were too rigid. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Groundhopping Owl said:

It seems to me the word “manage” is being used slightly ambiguously here - I don’t think Hinchliffe means DC wants to pick the team every week like some owners, but giving someone the title of “manager” implies a degree of input into decisions on transfers, club strategy etc that DC has been totally unwilling to do.

Oh I think it's perfectly clear that the team manager has not been able to take charge of player recruitment and that this has been a big problem, not just on the field, but off it as well. The suspicion lingers that signings may have to satisfy more parties than just the football club and it's coaching staff.

• Like 2