Andy Hinchliffe “Chansiri wants to do the managing”

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If you owned the club and sank 350million into a sport you didn’t understand you’d all do the same

"Wait, you mean I could've got Championship Manager for £39.99 (including VAT)!?" 

:Chansiri:

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Oh I think it's perfectly clear that the team manager has not been able to take charge of player recruitment and that this has been a big problem, not just on the field, but off it as well. The suspicion lingers that signings may have to satisfy more parties than just the football club and it's coaching staff.

Don't understand the old fashioned notion that manager should be in charge of recruitment, even at league 1 level for example Peterborough owner is a proponent that recruitment should be managed by a recruitment team in club rather than just rely on manager.

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Don't understand the old fashioned notion that manager should be in charge of recruitment, even at league 1 level for example Peterborough owner is a proponent that recruitment should be managed by a recruitment team in club rather than just rely on manager.

I think it's difficult in the modern era for the manager to have that degree of control, especially at the higher levels. The question is though, who is in charge of recruitment here, how much influence does the team boss have and are any other interests being served?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I find it unbelievable that Pulis would not have been aware of that. Biggest concern for me is that Chansiri thought that Pulis was a suitable candidate to coach players He isn’t a coach

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

For all his faults, I'm not convinced this is especially true.

He spent something like £8m that we couldn't afford on Rhodes and seemed sanguine to let a succession of managers keep him in the stands or on the bench. Then there has been the Westwood and Hutchinson hokey cokey in and out of first team consideration for the last couple of years, endless rotation of forwards for a while, swapping of goalkeepers and Monk deciding the club's future direction at a crucial period by reverting to a change of formation.

Good points! When the salary data came out, seeing how much Westwood is allegedly on made me wonder the same. Imagine being Chansiri, ploughing all that money into players, and then have them not even feature.

Chansiri appears to be heavily involved in building the squad, but not so much in managing them or choosing the team... maybe he leaves that to Att? 

lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He spent something like £8m that we couldn't afford on Rhodes and seemed sanguine to let a succession of managers keep him in the stands or on the bench. Then there has been the Westwood and Hutchinson hokey cokey in and out of first team consideration for the last couple of years, endless rotation of forwards for a while, swapping of goalkeepers and Monk deciding the club's future direction at a crucial period by reverting to a change of formation.

Don't think Hinchcliffe means the managing the team per se.

More, managing the club.

Ultimately, Chansiri won't interfere with team selection. Of that, I'm fail confident of. And that's been backed up, by what you've said. When Jos banished Westwood and Hutchinson, Chansiri allowed it. And then he allowed Bullen and Bruce to bring them back. And then Monk to banish them again.

My issue with the whole thing, apart from the obvious glaring problem that Chansiri has no credentials to manage the club's philosophy and recruitment, is the haphazard approach to appointing manager. He got it right with Carlos... he was head coach, and clearly was given players to work with, and his job was to build a system and develop them to maximise potential.

Likewise Jos.

But then it all gets messy. Bruce was never going to accept that arrangement. So why appoint him? Likewise Pulis.

If you're going to have a strategy of of isolating recruitment and management, then ensure you bring in the very best people to work under those conditions. There's plenty of coaches about who would potentially thrive under it. I actually favour an approach where the manager isn't the sole voice on recruitment...but only when there's qualified staff making decisions on long term philosophies and recruitment.

But it's the inconsistency of his appointments which muddy the waters.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I find it unbelievable that Pulis would not have been aware of that. Biggest concern for me is that Chansiri thought that Pulis was a suitable candidate to coach players He isn’t a coach

Big thing for me was when pulis' regular assistant didn't join due to family issues.

I may be cynical but like when Bruce got Newcastle Job I wouldn't be at all shocked if there isn't a better job on the horizon for TP very soon which may explain him wanting out sharpish (remember how difficult chansiri was with Newcastle).

Could see a lower end premier League job coming up in next few weeks that' much closer to south coast for him and s big payday 

12 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

So how does a 'manager' get a team to play like he wants with players he probably didn't want ?

Surely the 'manager' should point out what/who he needs.

Its pretty obvious Chansiri can't work with anyone but a yes man. 

Everyone knows anyone with an opinion that clashes with his soon leaves. He has 100% control. He acts like a dictator and blames everyone but himself. He can't take any criticism and goes crying and blaming the second he does. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

So how does a 'manager' get a team to play like he wants with players he probably didn't want ?

Surely the 'manager' should point out what/who he needs.

Manager says position and type of player needed, recruitment team find players, manager then involved in signing off if said player will do what he needs. 

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

2 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

But that's not the case is it.

To be honest think recruitment improved a lot in recent years and have picked up some bargains in likes of iorfa.  

Last summer's overhaul is very hard to judge as didn't have the funds to recruit real quality up front and / or any decent targets we did have wont have wanted to join with a 12 point deduction. So had to fill gaps in squad with freebies

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with having an established management and recruitment set up within a club and then hiring a head coach (who while having an input on recruitment) ultimately just coaches the team). It's what happens and pretty much every club on the continent and plenty in this country too.

The success of such a model is dependent on having experienced football people occupying such roles; instead we have the megalomaniac son of a billionaire and a chain smoking, fat footballers agent.

That's why our system is crap

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

But we know Rhodes wasn't the manager's choice.  Chansiri said he was signed due to social media frenzy from the fans.  

I think it makes sense, Chansiri owns the club so should manage it as he see's fit, Pulis was not doing what our leader

wanted and got the results which shows Mr Chansiri is right.

Lets get behind our leader and stop all this moaning.

• Haha 3