Jordan Rhodes to QPR

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Isn’t the question whether he’ll come better than Windass, Kachunga and Marriott?

Although I accept that we MIGHT buy well with the money we make from his sale or loan.

But I would urge caution. What is our recent track record in the market? And if we buy/loan badly, are we happy that Kachunga and Marriott are better than the devil we know?

I honestly do not have a clue boss.

We need a target man, we need options in the squad that give us a plan b and a plan c. That’s just to keep us in this league. 

As you rightly say, our recruitment record is terrible. Every club buys a dud firework, we bought (or borrowed) a box of ‘em. 

Somehow we’ve grabbed a bit of momentum, something has breathed air into the squad, but I’m worried we’re too threadbare for it to last.

I’d let Rhodes go (no surprise there), it’s not healthy for either party for him to say a day longer. 

We could also do with a Paul Williams type to play off a big man, and who will make himself a nuisance. 

But what we want and what we’ll get could be poles apart.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I’ll look for those qualities in the league tables and see if they are there. 

I face facts. Our current striking options are just awful.

In my opinion, and I know you don’t share it, Rhodes is the least awful. 

Well the league tables based on actual points won this season would have us mid bottom half. Would Rhodes realistically have us doing any better than that?

The question wasn’t whether our striking options were good. They aren’t and we need to strengthen that area. I think they are all much of a muchness in terms of how many each of them would score if they played each week.

However, Rhodes isn’t scoring what does he do to effect the game? When does he look threatening or genuinely aggressive? Paterson has been showing more of that. Rhodes doesn’t have the pace to get in behind teams. That’s why he’s not playing. The managers (how many now?) have opted to play others who might get a goal but will affect the game in other ways rather than someone who might nick a goal from a set play. 

Ideally Rhodes would go somewhere other than qpr. Just to avoid the COG factor all over again. But if we got interest in any of our strikers that would free funds to improve that area generally I think we need to consider it.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
4 hours ago, Shot down in flames. said:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t it true that the Scottish lads were here for 5 years and never started a game together 

4 years

1 hour ago, canadianowl said:

All I remember from Simon Donnelly was that goal he scored against Derby (that we allowed 2 goals in stoppage time...) and that's it. O'Donnell I genuinely don't remember a thing about him other than he passed away playing for Motherwell a few years after he left us. I wonder how many millions that alone cost us

Donnelly scored an injury time winner against Barnsley in a 2-1 win at the kop end too 

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If he gets another chance at a championship club, he will have done well. The sheer folly of signing Rhodes and Winnall, has been the painful experience I warned it would be. The scary thing is, we’re still doing it Anyone think we’ll get our money back on Windass and Paterson?

In the reality of championship football, we got them at bargain prices 

19 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

I imagine he'll score goals. 

We've never made him the main man. 

We've needed to play to him. 

He's a round peg in need of a system of round holes. 

Carlos offered him the opportunity to be the main man by asking him to take a penalty. Rhodes declined. 

That sums it up really.

He has been stealing a wage. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Absolute joke of a statement that from start to finish

How is that a joke of a statement.? 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

What's the point?

I'll just get all the cliches (you covered most of them in your post about him) in return

lol

Maybe say. 

He refused to take a penalty and should... Him being paid good money to score goals and all that.. 

And then say..  

Well... He really hasn't given us value in any way for the wages he has received in return. 

And please allow me one cliche lol  .... Go on.... It's not that bad....  lol

He has the most expensive thumb in  Britain. 

UTO

• Thanks 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

What's the point?

I'll just get all the cliches (you covered most of them in your post about him) in return

lol

You could tell us about how handsome he is. How graceful he is as he minces about doing nothing.

He seems like a smashing bloke but his killer instinct has gone. He is a sniper turned pacifist. He has got a daffodil in his rifle barrel and a no war badge on his khakis. We are asking Ghandi to fight Mike Tyson.

Whilst he may feature in your wet dreams that is about all he features in. He has been a dreadful signing. A waste of money. 

• Haha 2

Just now, heppers said:

You could tell us about how handsome he is. How graceful he is as he minces about doing nothing.

He seems like a smashing bloke but his killer instinct has gone. He is a sniper turned pacifist. He has got a daffodil in his rifle barrel and a no war badge on his khakis. We are asking Ghandi to fight Mike Tyson.

Whilst he may feature in your wet dreams that is about all he features in. He has been a dreadful signing. A waste of money. 

Our fans were saying the same stuff about Lucas Joao

Forgive me if I reserve my own opinion on the matter and don't follow the sheepy flock

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Forgive me if I reserve my own opinion on the matter and don't follow the sheepy flock

lol

As fans we have made some poor judgements.

Rhodes is one of them for sure as we all wanted to sign him. It really has not worked out.

Best for everyone if he moves on.

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Please just STOP repeating the chairman's propaganda

We did NOT all want to sign him

Don't blindly believe what you're told ffs

No Neil. I am basing my opinion on what I felt at the time, what my friends thought at the time and my memory of the fans reactions at the time.

You come across very powerful when you use capital letters to make your point. Are you single?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Id like to point out I never ever said we should sell Lucas Joao. His talent was plain to see. Rhodes is done i think though... 

Shame but best for all if he goes to QPR.

1 hour ago, heppers said:

No Neil. I am basing my opinion on what I felt at the time, what my friends thought at the time and my memory of the fans reactions at the time.

You come across very powerful when you use capital letters to make your point. Are you single?

I mean in fairness, never has a player had more 100 page threads clambering for him to be signed. Rhodes was like Ben10 and ALF combined for so many transfer windows. 

Hindsight is wonderful but the vast majority of OwlsTalk at time of signing and 4/5 windows before wanted Rhodes at whatever the price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1