Jordan Rhodes to QPR

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think worst signings in my time taking into account the money paid and what they contributed would say Rhodes, De Bilde, Franny Jeffers and Alem Abdi. 

De Bilde only cost about 3mil which even back then wasn't a crazy amount, he scored double figures in an awful team. The guy was just a complete nutcase but the 2 Scottish lads signed at the same time were a bigger waste of money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He didn’t start off badly here either. 

Simply not true, and that same period also gives the lie to this nonsense about him not having a decent run of games to show what he can do. After he first arrived, he missed just 1 of the next 23 games (rested for an early round cup stroll against Chesterfield), starting 16 of them. He scored THREE goals in the equivalent of half a season's work. In the three and a half years since then he has started only 29 more games for the club as a succession of managers were prepared to try players out of position rather than him, even during a couple of severe injury crises. 

His current form for Wednesday, dating back to the last game of 2017, is 21+27 appearances and 5 goals, which includes that hat-trick miracle in Nottingham. 

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Like that flop Joao that we sold last year?

Rhodes hasn't done the job for us but QPR seem to believe he can for them, it is a risk. 

Given a choice between letting him go and seeing him drain another 6 months of wages from us for little return though, I think we have to say goodbye, especially if letting him go means we can try and bring in someone of more use. 

João was twice the player for us than what Rhodes was. Though you agree with me that we are right to let him go anyway so not sure why you feel the need to mention.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Simply not true, and that same period also gives the lie to this nonsense about him not having a decent run of games to show what he can do. After he first arrived, he missed just 1 of the next 23 games (rested for an early round cup stroll against Chesterfield), starting 16 of them. He scored THREE goals in the equivalent of half a season's work. In the three and a half years since then he has started only 29 more games for the club as a succession of managers were prepared to try players out of position rather than him, even during a couple of severe injury crises. 

His current form for Wednesday, dating back to the last game of 2017, is 21+27 appearances and 5 goals, which includes that hat-trick miracle in Nottingham. 

He got an assist on debut.

Scored in home debut.

Its literally a good start.

Then got a couple vs Norwich shortly after. 

It was difficult to judge at the time as we had many strikers but after that he just tailed off confidence wise. 

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

I don't think if we sell him to another club we have to pay up his contract, we pay him until he leaves them the other club pay him.

Leaving on a free we could save close to a million between now and the end of the season.

That's incorrect. If the play is sold the club pay up the contract if a transfer request is not submitted by the player. 

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

João was twice the player for us than what Rhodes was. Though you agree with me that we are right to let him go anyway so not sure why you feel the need to mention.

Joao was excellent for us by the time he was sold. But we still used him as an impact sub. 7m not bad, we can’t have it all ways.

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Joao was excellent for us by the time he was sold. But we still used him as an impact sub. 7m not bad, we can’t have it all ways.

Yeh it was about right we sold him, I don't think if he had stayed that he would be doing what he is at reading for us.

1 hour ago, PARKOWL said:

Darko Kovacevic wasn't dog poo at S6 

Maybe Dog Poo is an overstatement but he was a goal machine either side of his spell with us and wasn’t here. 
David Pleat pretty much dropped him which meant we couldn’t renew his work permit because he wasn’t playing enough games and we had to flog him. 
As I said in another post in 2007 the transfer made it into The Times top 10 of worst ever Premier League signings so it isn’t just me who thought it was a poor.

The point I’m trying to make is there are different sorts of bad. There’s bad where the player is just awful, and there is the type of bad where we seem to miss out on someone who soon after leaving us becomes a world beater! That type happens quite a lot. Hopefully not with Rhodes!

53 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

Well that's a completely unbalanced comparison.

Windass and Kachunga aren't naturally out-and-out strikers.

Kachunga has scored in the League Cup.

Marriott had barely any time to settle and had to do so in a horrendous environment, as did Kachunga.

None of the other three will be on the money Rhodes is on.

None of the other three have the years of failure behind them under multiple managers and systems that Rhodes does.

Forget him, he's had his chances, he needs to go, we should be over the flipping moon that QPR will be releasing his wages as a resource for us to use and invest in new strikers.

What?

How is it unbalanced?

What position are these players playing for us? Striker. 

Therefore it’s the only comparison.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Yep, he’s one of those strikers that if he isn’t scoring or looking like scoring he doesn’t offer much else. 

As opposed to Windass, Marriott and Kachunga?

What else do they offer that offsets their 3 goals in a combined 2500 minutes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Thompson “Jordan was chomping at the bit to come on”.

You “Rinsed us”

How can he give anything back on the bench? Do you think he doesn’t want to play?

Doesn't account for the previous 3.5 years.

£30k a week - £1,250,000 

He might have wanted to play but when he did ..he barely registered ..chomping at the bit to impress the QPR viewers no doubt to secure his next contract.

I guess it's not his fault he didn't impress 5 quite different managers during his time.. whilst picking up his pay packet with a JCB.

He's not the only tho in the last few years.. but value for money for the club and the fans is definitely in the rinsed category (Abdi award).

Glad he's gone..wish him and his family well.. maybe he'll does us a favour keep up his good form with QPR.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I fully understand fans saying he wasn’t good enough.

Can't understand any fan saying he didn’t give his all.

Why not just jogged about not doing much most games. I never got the impression he was busting a gut to change his fortunes.

Comes across to me he was going through a bad bit of form and just accepted it to easily.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canadianowl said:

De Bilde only cost about 3mil which even back then wasn't a crazy amount, he scored double figures in an awful team. The guy was just a complete nutcase but the 2 Scottish lads signed at the same time were a bigger waste of money.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t it true that the Scottish lads were here for 5 years and never started a game together