Jordan Rhodes to QPR

8 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I don’t disagree. Hooper was my favourite player at the time so I wasn’t in favour just because of that. But the overwhelming majority wanted him at any cost. 

What’s Joao got to do with Rhodes being crap

26 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think the issues with Rhodes is simple we have not had a winger that regularly creates chances for the strikers since Wallace left. Harris is one of the worst wingers we have had since JJ, he is right footed and unable to cross with his left foot, so where do we play him on the left wing of course. It makes him a one trick pony always cuts in field and more often than not shoots instead of crossing. Reach puts in a good cross but that's just it, 1 good cross a match if you are lucky.

Rhodes is in the championship because like most strikers in the championship he probably scores 1 goal in 4 or 5 chances created, the problem is with the players and set up we don't create 4 or 5 chances a game and as such Rhodes never gets picked.

if players such as Rhodes had got the game time the likes of Windass, Harris and Bannan have, he would have scored more goals than the 3 of them put together but he is not the player he was, but when he gets 5 or 10 minutes at the end of a game why are people that surprised.

It seems this is the last refuge for those still desperately trying to cling on to the statistics of five whole years ago. And what it amounts to is, when Rhodes scores it is because of his individual skill and when he doesn't then you can blame literally everyone else. Using a similar argument, we could reinvent the careers of David Graham and Barry Corr.

For a couple of years, Rhodes was one of EIGHT forwards at the club and he had the lowest scoring rate of ALL of them (he may have nudged slightly ahead of Winnall before he left). How can that be for someone who supposedly was an elite finisher?

Steven Fletcher missed almost half of last season, but scored only 1 less than Rhodes' entire Owls career. It was a similar story for Hooper the year before and Forestieri the one previous to that. Nuhiu matched it in just five months and Joao in 10 months when the latter was in and out of the side. Murphy was only 5 goals behind despite being here just one campaign and starting only half of the matches from out wide. Iorfa needed only 7 outings to score as many as Rhodes did in his first 23. We're not seriously suggesting that there was a stark difference in supply when Rhodes played are we?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hope he gets the move and starts to get on with his career, shame it never happened for him here and best for both parties to move on. You can’t hold him accountable for the fee, we know it was bad business by Chansiri, let’s finally move on!!!

I don’t see why QPR wouldn’t just wait until summer to sign him on a free? Unless they are that desperate for a striker but I can’t see Rhodes being worth the ££ just for signing 6 months early. 

Rhodes really is the traditional old fashioned striker. Similar to how ‘Michael Owen’ types disappeared, you just can’t be good at only one thing in the modern game. 

19 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It seems this is the last refuge for those still desperately trying to cling on to the statistics of five whole years ago. And what it amounts to is, when Rhodes scores it is because of his individual skill and when he doesn't then you can blame literally everyone else. Using a similar argument, we could reinvent the careers of David Graham and Barry Corr.

For a couple of years, Rhodes was one of EIGHT forwards at the club and he had the lowest scoring rate of ALL of them (he may have nudged slightly ahead of Winnall before he left). How can that be for someone who supposedly was an elite finisher?

Steven Fletcher missed almost half of last season, but scored only 1 less than Rhodes' entire Owls career. It was a similar story for Hooper the year before and Forestieri the one previous to that. Nuhiu matched it in just five months and Joao in 10 months when the latter was in and out of the side. Murphy was only 5 goals behind despite being here just one campaign and starting only half of the matches from out wide. Iorfa needed only 7 outings to score as many as Rhodes did in his first 23. We're not seriously suggesting that there was a stark difference in supply when Rhodes played are we?

Indeed but when you buy a striker for 10 million pounds and pay him £40,000 a week and don't bother to look at how he was the most prolific striker in the championship for the 5 season before hand.

What do you really expect.

11/12 - 36, 12/13 - 29, 13/14 25, 14/15 - 21, 15/16 - 16 - you could see he has been gradually getting worse but even 16 goals a season would have made him our top striker for the last 5 years.

He is not going to score from 30 yards, he is not going to go on a mazy run from half way beating men to score. Plain and simple 90% of his goals came from a knock on old number 10 striker playing along side him, or from the winger crossing the ball into the 6 yard box for him.

It has taken the best part of £15-20m for the club to realise that we didn't play the way he thrived with and for big chunks of the last 5 years we has not had more than 2 or 3 games on the trot. No striker is going to score like that. I can think of one striker in my 40 odd years in Ole Solskjaer as the only striker that did better as sub than starting in his whole career.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Indeed but when you buy a striker for 10 million pounds and pay him £40,000 a week and don't bother to look at how he was the most prolific striker in the championship for the 5 season before hand.

What do you really expect.

11/12 - 36, 12/13 - 29, 13/14 25, 14/15 - 21, 15/16 - 16 - you could see he has been gradually getting worse but even 16 goals a season would have made him our top striker for the last 5 years.

He is not going to score from 30 yards, he is not going to go on a mazy run from half way beating men to score. Plain and simple 90% of his goals came from a knock on old number 10 striker playing along side him, or from the winger crossing the ball into the 6 yard box for him.

It has taken the best part of £15-20m for the club to realise that we didn't play the way he thrived with and for big chunks of the last 5 years we has not had more than 2 or 3 games on the trot. No striker is going to score like that. I can think of one striker in my 40 odd years in Ole Solskjaer as the only striker that did better as sub than starting in his whole career.

Apart from one cup game in which he was rested, Rhodes appeared in the first 23 games after he arrived (the equivalent of half a league season), starting 16 of them. He scored THREE in that time. And that was in a team that finished 4th on 81 points.

He's currently on a run of 21+27 Wednesday appearances for 5 goals that dates back to December 2017 (albeit this takes in the loan to Norwich for a full campaign).

Nuhiu and Joao in particular were able to score more frequently despite being subject to the same rotation in that position.

You're moving the dartboard to try and intercept the dart to make the thrower look good.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Apart from one cup game in which he was rested, Rhodes appeared in the first 23 games after he arrived (the equivalent of half a league season), starting 16 of them. He scored THREE in that time.

He's currently on a run of 21+27 Wednesday appearances for 5 goals that dates back to December 2017 (albeit this takes in the loan to Norwich for a full campaign).

Nuhiu and Joao in particular were able to score more frequently despite being subject to the same rotation in that position.

You're moving the dartboard to try and intercept the dart to make the thrower look good.

He started crap here, that’s not really in question. Probably the fee and the expectation got to him, he seems like that sort of player who needs confidence or can’t perform.

The last three seasons though we’ve used him appallingly. Well the first one he was on loan, but then last season her never got a run in the side even after the hattrick game. And this season given how bad we’ve been going forward how has he only been given 3 starts.. 1 in the last 21 as well. The team has looked better when he’s on the pitch tbh. 

12 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Apart from one cup game in which he was rested, Rhodes appeared in the first 23 games after he arrived (the equivalent of half a league season), starting 16 of them. He scored THREE in that time.

Nope as I said if you do not set up the team to fit Rhodes he does not score. 

If we had no intension to play 2 up front, with 2 winger then simple don't spent £10m + wages to bring him to the club. Big questions of the manager and the chairman need to be answer why a player that scored a shed load of goals playing in a 4-4-2 was signed for a team that didn't play that way.

I never wanted him in the first place, Winnall was the same type of player and was scoring goals but DC decided to basically make one of the biggest, if not the biggest transfer mistake in the 153 year history of our club.  Had we played the way Huddersfield and Blackburn did to Rhodes strengths, he would have scored goals but we didn't and he didn't.

Funnily enough though when he went on loan to Norwich a lot more attack minded team, he scored 9 goals there in 40 appearance and average 1 goal every 132 minutes which over a full season playing every minute would have been 32 goals.

So why did this useless striker score more goal in a team that played more attacking, than ours, maybe just maybe they played more to the way he played in order to score goals. 

17 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

This is a great point ^^. 

I think Rhodes absolutely was an elite finisher early on in his career, his numbers at Blackburn & Huddersfield are excellent. 

The issue is, in those teams they were totally focused around him. He was getting a high volume of quality chances each game in good positions so the returns were great. They also never exposed his weaknesses, which are pretty much everything apart from giving him the ball 10 yards from goal. 

Over time as he went to ‘better’ teams, with other good players, where he wasn’t the focal point, teams weren’t build around him and he was asked to do a lot more he became less effective. Us, Norwich and Middlesborough were all top 6 teams during his time at the clubs (excluding our last 2 years). Worth noting even when he was at his best at Huddersfield & Blackburn, they were only a mid table Championship team at best. 

He hasn’t adapted and improved his game to be valuable in other ways since leaving Blackburn. Which sounds crazy to say, you’d think as one of the most elite finishers the football league had ever seen you wouldn’t need anything else? But teams understood how to contain him, his confidence dropped, injuries, in and out of teams etc over time all added up. I still think we could have absolutely gotten more value from him when he first signed. Despite what I say the records speak for themselves and he never really had a ‘good’ team when he joined us. The system was all wrong for him and then with Jos coming in that made things worse and we have never utilised him properly since. 

I could brainstorm all day about JR! But I’m sad to see it never worked out for him , mainly a reflection on our failures as a club. Would love to see him have a go somewhere else! 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

But he is less poo than Kachunga and Marriott.

And we have no idea whether he is more or less poo than whoever our transfer team bring in.

Possibly but Marriott isn’t ours and Kachunga won’t command a few and is on less wages. Kachunga also fits the way we play better as at least he’s mobile. Rhodes would be the first out of the door for me.

12 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Funnily enough though when he went on loan to Norwich a lot more attack minded team, he scored 9 goals there in 40 appearance and average 1 goal every 132 minutes which over a full season playing every minute would have been 32 goals.

So why did this useless striker score more goal in a team that played more attacking, than ours, maybe just maybe they played more to the way he played in order to score goals. 

You need to look a little closer than just the headlines of the numbers game. Rhodes scored 6 league goals for Norwich and 2 of those came in early defeats when they were struggling with him in the starting line-up as part of a front two; finding themselves one point outside the bottom three. After that he played no part at all in a quarter of the matches and his contribution was 3 further starts and 4 more goals in a team that scored 93 overall and secured automatic promotion by 11 points. His contribution to their success was fairly negligible in total and when he was given a primary role their results were poor.

At Middlesbrough, when he arrived they were in second place, one point behind the leaders (Hull). By season's end they were still in second place, four points back. In terms of goals and points averages, their performance dipped just a tiny fraction after Rhodes came in. He scored a few important goals in the run in, but it can hardly be claimed he transformed their fortunes, which stayed much as they had been before. Just a few months after buying him he hardly had a kick in the Premier League, making only 6 appearances. This for a team that registered a mere 5 wins and 27 goals all season. 

Since October 2015, he has played under 7 permanent managers and 2 caretaker bosses at 4 clubs. In those five and a bit years, he has started the grand total of 88 games with 85 more from the bench. So far as I remember, he has suffered no significant injuries during that period. You cannot dress all of that up as coincidence and misfortune, especially as two of those clubs paid very large fees for his services. 

I've seen Halley's Comet, Des Walker get a goal for us (albeit in a testimonial), a Wednesday keeper score, Carlton Palmer net a first half hat trick and Andy Pearce be a short term scoring machine. Doesn't mean you can extrapolate those out into anything more meaningful than being occasional occurrences. 

15 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You need to look a little closer than just the headlines of the numbers game. Rhodes scored 6 league goals for Norwich and 2 of those came in early defeats when they were struggling with him in the starting line-up as part of a front two; finding themselves one point outside the bottom three. After that he played no part at all in a quarter of the matches and his contribution was 3 further starts and 4 more goals in a team that scored 93 overall and secured automatic promotion by 11 points. His contribution to their success was fairly negligible in total and when he was given a primary role their results were poor.

At Middlesbrough, when he arrived they were in second place, one point behind the leaders (Hull). By season's end they were still in second place, four points back. In terms of goals and points averages, their performance dipped just a tiny fraction after Rhodes came in. He scored a few important goals in the run in, but it can hardly be claimed he transformed their fortunes, which stayed much as they had been before. Just a few months after buying him he hardly had a kick in the Premier League, making only 6 appearances. This for a team that registered a mere 5 wins and 27 goals all season. 

Since October 2015, he has played under 7 permanent managers and 2 caretaker bosses at 4 clubs. In those five and a bit years, he has started the grand total of 88 games with 85 more from the bench. So far as I remember, he has suffered no significant injuries during that period. You cannot dress all of that up as coincidence and misfortune, especially as two of those clubs paid very large fees for his services. 

I've seen Halley's Comet, Des Walker get a goal for us (albeit in a testimonial), a Wednesday keeper score, Carlton Palmer net a first half hat trick and Andy Pearce be a short term scoring machine. Doesn't mean you can extrapolate those out into anything more meaningful than being occasional occurrences. 

Off topic I loved Des Walker he was the old central defender knew his job, keeping it tight at the back, got a nose bleed if he went as high up as half way but for 7 years what a player for us. Him and Nigel Pearson my favourite central defenders for the Owls oh and of course the big Brazilian Emerson Thome.

Look Rhodes has not work out, you see it one way, I see it another. The record book will have him as our most expensive error ever and he needs to go. I just hope DC does not ask for a fee or that will be another 6 months of wages down the pan for us until he leaves as a free in the summer.

25 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Possibly but Marriott isn’t ours and Kachunga won’t command a few and is on less wages. Kachunga also fits the way we play better as at least he’s mobile. Rhodes would be the first out of the door for me.

Kachunga has one tiny flaw as a striker.

Never scores. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I didn't get the Rhodes signing when we had picked up the championship top scorer at the time for £500k in Winnall - I think at the time he had scored more headed goals than anyone else in the league and we proceeding to not put any crosses into the box. Winnall was like a poor mans Rhodes at the time but with Hooper, Fletcher, Fessi, Nuihu and Winnall Rhodes was not needed.

A beast in the middle or a pacy winger was but instead we spent silly money for Rhodes, Boro had our pants down with what we paid for Reach, clearly DC had learnt nothing when we signed Rhodes - £5m would have been reasonable business with the striker he was, £10m £14m  for player who had barely played for a year was classic DC. 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

By that reasoning though as you say he was gradually getting worse by scoring 4 to 5 goals less each season.

If that trend had continued he possibly would have only scored 12 goals, 8 goals, 4 goals and 0 goals in his next 4 seasons.

I know that is purely hypothetical but so is saying he would possibly have got 16 goals a season for 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Kachunga was another poor signing and waste of a contract.

I just don't see what he offers, doesn't score goals, doesn't create goals for others.

Reminds me of Da Cruz.

• Like 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Kachunga was another poor signing and waste of a contract.

I just don't see what he offers, doesn't score goals, doesn't create goals for others.

Reminds me of Da Cruz.

I agree he was a poor signing...still better than Rhodes.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Kachunga has one tiny flaw as a striker.

Never scores. 

True but neither does Rhodes!