Jordan Rhodes to QPR

10 hours ago, canadianowl said:

All I remember from Simon Donnelly was that goal he scored against Derby (that we allowed 2 goals in stoppage time...) and that's it. O'Donnell I genuinely don't remember a thing about him other than he passed away playing for Motherwell a few years after he left us. I wonder how many millions that alone cost us

I thin both were decent players in particular Simon Donnelly but were far too injury prone.
Funny things you remember but Donnelly scoring twice away v Millwall on same day Sheff U had that game abandoned v WBA.
He also scored the winning penalty in a shoot out in the cup away at Wolves in 2000.

5 minutes ago, heppers said:

As fans we have made some poor judgements.

Rhodes is one of them for sure as we all wanted to sign him. It really has not worked out.

Best for everyone if he moves on.

I wanted us to sign him for £750k, though.

I wish Dejphon would start listening more carefully.

:duntmatter:

I wanted Rhodes to be signed and  think he’ll be fine in a team that is set up to play two up front and where he is played  as the finisher.

Watching him trying  to play as the one up top target man,  a role he is completely (sometimes almost comically) unsuited to, and then getting slagged off for his efforts has been one of the more frustrating things about watching Wednesday over the last few years.

Good luck for the future Jordan Rhodes.

(Gets tin hat) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Our fans were saying the same stuff about Lucas Joao

Forgive me if I reserve my own opinion on the matter and don't follow the sheepy flock

lol

Jordan needs to seriously hit the weights. His strength to weight ratio is well behind. You can see how tentative he is going into standard collisions which is invariably looses. Like to see him get stronger is he ages and invariably slows down.

11 minutes ago, sheffielddart said:

I wanted Rhodes to be signed and  think he’ll be fine in a team that is set up to play two up front and where he is played  as the finisher.

Watching him trying  to play as the one up top target man,  a role he is completely (sometimes almost comically) unsuited to, and then getting slagged off for his efforts has been one of the more frustrating things about watching Wednesday over the last few years.

Good luck for the future Jordan Rhodes.

(Gets tin hat) 

I think the issues with Rhodes is simple we have not had a winger that regularly creates chances for the strikers since Wallace left. Harris is one of the worst wingers we have had since JJ, he is right footed and unable to cross with his left foot, so where do we play him on the left wing of course. It makes him a one trick pony always cuts in field and more often than not shoots instead of crossing. Reach puts in a good cross but that's just it, 1 good cross a match if you are lucky.

Rhodes is in the championship because like most strikers in the championship he probably scores 1 goal in 4 or 5 chances created, the problem is with the players and set up we don't create 4 or 5 chances a game and as such Rhodes never gets picked.

if players such as Rhodes had got the game time the likes of Windass, Harris and Bannan have, he would have scored more goals than the 3 of them put together but he is not the player he was, but when he gets 5 or 10 minutes at the end of a game why are people that surprised.

Move him on let he go elsewhere to a team that are going to play to his strengths and we will see a striker that scores a lot more goals. You only have to look at Joao for that, playing week in week out and in a team that play his way and he has 15 goals already and could end the season near to 30 goals. We will be lucky if our whole team scores 30 goals this season.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I mean in fairness, never has a player had more 100 page threads clambering for him to be signed. Rhodes was like Ben10 and ALF combined for so many transfer windows. 

Hindsight is wonderful but the vast majority of OwlsTalk at time of signing and 4/5 windows before wanted Rhodes at whatever the price.

i was one of a few what thought it was madness . we know he is on about 2 million a year long contract and fee its prob cost 17-18 million . rhodes was past his peak was 18 months before we signed him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think the issues with Rhodes is simple we have not had a winger that regularly creates chances for the strikers since Wallace left. Harris is one of the worst wingers we have had since JJ, he is right footed and unable to cross with his left foot, so where do we play him on the left wing of course. It makes him a one trick pony always cuts in field and more often than not shoots instead of crossing. Reach puts in a good cross but that's just it, 1 good cross a match if you are lucky.

Rhodes is in the championship because like most strikers in the championship he probably scores 1 goal in 4 or 5 chances created, the problem is with the players and set up we don't create 4 or 5 chances a game and as such Rhodes never gets picked.

if players such as Rhodes had got the game time the likes of Windass, Harris and Bannan have, he would have scored more goals than the 3 of them put together but he is not the player he was, but when he gets 5 or 10 minutes at the end of a game why are people that surprised.

Move him on let he go elsewhere to a team that are going to play to his strengths and we will see a striker that scores a lot more goals. You only have to look at Joao for that, playing week in week out and in a team that play his way and he has 15 goals already and could end the season near to 30 goals. We will be lucky if our whole team scores 30 goals this season.

We were the highest away scorers last season Murphy Bannan and Harris created plenty and Fletcher didn’t have a problem 

Rhodes is slow , has no physical presence nothing to do with who is supplying the ammo 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think the issues with Rhodes is simple. He is just not very good anymore.

12 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

We were the highest away scorers last season Murphy Bannan and Harris created plenty and Fletcher didn’t have a problem 

Rhodes is slow , has no physical presence nothing to do with who is supplying the ammo 

Fletcher scored 13 goals all season, Joao has scored more than that in 22 games.

Murphy did do well but Bannan, Harris and Murphy had 18 assist between then in 126 games or 1 assist every 7 games its not exactly prolific is it. It does not stay how many chances they created but its pretty easy to see where are issues are with scoring. Harris managed just 4 assists in 43 appearance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, morganowl said:

i was one of a few what thought it was madness . we know he is on about 2 million a year long contract and fee its prob cost 17-18 million . rhodes was past his peak was 18 months before we signed him.

I don’t disagree. Hooper was my favourite player at the time so I wasn’t in favour just because of that. But the overwhelming majority wanted him at any cost. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heppers said:

Carlos offered him the opportunity to be the main man by asking him to take a penalty. Rhodes declined. 

That sums it up really.

He has been stealing a wage. 

This one bugs me that people judge Rhodes on it. Penalty shoot outs are about who fancies it and confidence. Particularly with the extra nerves of a play off semi final. If Rhodes (whose confidence was already on the way out at this point) had taken one and rolled it at the keeper he'd have been crucified much worse - particularly on here. If your left back is really up for it and wants to take one, why are you going to get a hesitant player to take one instead that might cost you the win? 

Don't get me wrong, a £8m striker probably should have fancied taking one, but you have no idea the pressure they're under at that point. So when Carlos asked the squad "Who feels confident about taking one?" you go with the five who want to take one, and I have no judgement on Rhodes for declining, thats the best thing to do for the team. 

Good luck to him. If he's given the system and service he'll score. Amazed to see he's still only second to Aguero in goals since his debut mind. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Oddly Rhodes can’t score at home but his away record for us is off the scale.

Hes scored at a goal every 120 minutes away. That’s better than some entire teams. Maybe something about the way we play away? No idea.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Talk of Tim Sherwood becoming manager of QPR. If that happens, and Rhodes goes there he’ll score a decent amount of goals. Sherwood is very good at getting forwards to just score goals. He doesn’t want them running channels, tracking back etc. Just stay in the middle and score. 

Whilst I agree football has moved on to an extent, there’s a lot to be said for the basics of defenders that just defend, strikers that just score. 

Rhodes and Dykes in a 442 probably an archaic and old fashioned way of playing but this is the championship not the champions league. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Oddly Rhodes can’t score at home but his away record for us is off the scale.

Hes scored at a goal every 120 minutes away. That’s better than some entire teams. Maybe something about the way we play away? No idea.

Think its just a coincidence that can happen when you have a small amount of data.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I don’t disagree. Hooper was my favourite player at the time so I wasn’t in favour just because of that. But the overwhelming majority wanted him at any cost. 

I didn't get the Rhodes signing when we had picked up the championship top scorer at the time for £500k in Winnall - I think at the time he had scored more headed goals than anyone else in the league and we proceeding to not put any crosses into the box. Winnall was like a poor mans Rhodes at the time but with Hooper, Fletcher, Fessi, Nuihu and Winnall Rhodes was not needed.

A beast in the middle or a pacy winger was but instead we spent silly money for Rhodes, Boro had our pants down with what we paid for Reach, clearly DC had learnt nothing when we signed Rhodes - £5m would have been reasonable business with the striker he was, £10m for player who had barely played for a year was classic DC. 

• Like 2