• Shaw
    • Harris
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Windass
    • Reach
    • Kachunga
    • Rhodes

I went Harris. Shaw did well, but Harris was always our out ball, relieving the pressure on our defence regularly. That was his main role today and he performed it well. Plus he kept their wide players occupied throughout the 90 minutes and stopped them from pressing upfield, and supporting their attacks, they had to keep an eye on him all the time, so his role was vital today.

If you understand football, you would’ve picked up on this today.

• Like 1

Shaw for me again. Last game plays midfield and scores.
Then tonight fills in as emergency centre back and puts in an assured performance. 
Pretty good going for a young man playing a full 90 minutes senior football for only the second time.

Well done Liam.

1 minute ago, OutwellOwl said:

The 2 awful with him ... you mean the 2  that both got a few MOM votes tonight ..were we watching different games??

I wasnt actually commenting on their performances tonight, They both played quite well, I'll give them credit where its due.

Wildsmith - 7 - Despite appearing to be under the pump for such long periods, I can't remember him been called into too much action. Comfortable save from Sibley's long range effort in the first half, and the parried save in the 2nd. Clean sheet. Reliable and available (*cough*) as ever.

Odubajo - 8 - Man of the Match - Another really good performance, and he's probably the most improved player of late. He's always had the makings of a good player. He's started to cut out the silly mistakes, and a good run of games is bringing the best out of him.

Lees - 8 - Could've easily gone for Lees as Man of the Match also. Lead by example, and nurtured Shaw through a difficult game. Looking good at the minute.

Shaw - 7 - Did OK up against an experienced striker in Kazim-Richards. Too many silly mistakes to be considered MotM however, and was fortunate a couple of those mistakes didn't cost us a goal. But, full credit for a young lad to slot into a new position in such difficult circumstances. Shows a lot of maturity. 

Palmer - 6 - I thought he struggled throughout. Like Shaw, very fortunate that a number of basic errors didn't lead to goals. He just about does a job...but we desperately need a better option at left back.

Pelupessy - 6 - I'll give him credit...he improved in the 2nd half. That said...he was abysmal in the 1st half. He offers nothing with the ball except panic and a turnover in possession. And in the 1st half, he did nothing defensively. Constantly got dragged to parts of the pitch by runners from midfield, and left no protection to the defence. Must've been given a rollicking at half time, because he did at least manage to shore things up in the 2nd half.

Bannan - 7 - He's playing nowhere near his best at the minute, and I think he looks a really frustrated figure having to play the kind of abysmal football we are currently doing. But, yet again, his little bits of quality are our only hope of a goal. Superb ball for Harris in the 1st half...for Harris to do his usual (good run, no end product), and produced the delivery which led to the goal. Like Cowley said, we need to get him on the ball and dictating things...in this current set-up were asking a lot of him, and not getting anywhere near the output we should be from him.

Harris - 6 - He's a threat, in terms of his ability to carry the ball. But he's hopeless once he gets into any sort of dangerous position. To be fair, he's always open to receiving the ball, and never shirks responsibility. But he needs competition, and we desperately need an alternative this window. 

Reach - 5 - Struggled...like Bannan, he looks frustrated and fed-up playing with such technically inadequacies. Was given the frankly hopeless task of essentially been told to play centre midfield and right wing in the 1st half... and achieved nothing doing so.

Windass - 5 - He was anonymous before his injury. Which was no surprise given the level of passing ability that was occurring behind him.

Paterson - 6 - Got the all important goal...but he wasn't very good. 1st half, he offered absolutely nothing. Won nothing in the air, didn't hold the ball up, and just seemed to run around barging into people. Did well to win the header in the lead up for the goal, and bravely stuck his head in. But, it's another position that glaringly needs addressing.

Kachunga - 6 - Thought he looked lively when he came on, and played with a point to prove. Should've scored before half time.

Overall...

I'm delighted we've won the game. But it does nothing to think we've got enough to avoid relegation. Very similar type of performance to the Boro game.

I've watched a lot of Championship football over the last decade...and I'm struggling to think of a side that consistently looks so abysmally woeful in possession. How does a team go from the technicians that Carlos built to this...in such a short space of time?! 

I was concerned watching the game, with the passive nature of both our players and coaching staff. Of course, results are everything, but it really did seem as though we were just waiting for Derby to score before changing anything. Luckily, Derby fluffed their lines, and we profited from a goalmouth scramble, and people will brush the glaring problems under the carpet.

But, make no mistake about it...performances cannot continue to be so poor technically. We have to start finding a way of gaining some sort of control in possession. We are neither patient passes nor decisive counter attackers.

We got away with one tonight. Derby were vastly superior, in most departments...and the worrying aspect is, they are down there with us. Derby will be alright...we need a manager in quickly, that can assemble some sort of technical composure within the team.

Whoever comes in, has got attributes like desire, work-rate, determination in abundance, and that of course goes far. But, over the course of a season, you need a threat offensively. And at the minute, haven't got any.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 7 - Despite appearing to be under the pump for such long periods, I can't remember him been called into too much action. Comfortable save from Sibley's long range effort in the first half, and the parried save in the 2nd. Clean sheet. Reliable and available (*cough*) as ever.

Odubajo - 8 - Man of the Match - Another really good performance, and he's probably the most improved player of late. He's always had the makings of a good player. He's started to cut out the silly mistakes, and a good run of games is bringing the best out of him.

Lees - 8 - Could've easily gone for Lees as Man of the Match also. Lead by example, and nurtured Shaw through a difficult game. Looking good at the minute.

Shaw - 7 - Did OK up against an experienced striker in Kazim-Richards. Too many silly mistakes to be considered MotM however, and was fortunate a couple of those mistakes didn't cost us a goal. But, full credit for a young lad to slot into a new position in such difficult circumstances. Shows a lot of maturity. 

Palmer - 6 - I thought he struggled throughout. Like Shaw, very fortunate that a number of basic errors didn't lead to goals. He just about does a job...but we desperately need a better option at left back.

Pelupessy - 6 - I'll give him credit...he improved in the 2nd half. That said...he was abysmal in the 1st half. He offers nothing with the ball except panic and a turnover in possession. And in the 1st half, he did nothing defensively. Constantly got dragged to parts of the pitch by runners from midfield, and left no protection to the defence. Must've been given a rollicking at half time, because he did at least manage to shore things up in the 2nd half.

Bannan - 7 - He's playing nowhere near his best at the minute, and I think he looks a really frustrated figure having to play the kind of abysmal football we are currently doing. But, yet again, his little bits of quality are our only hope of a goal. Superb ball for Harris in the 1st half...for Harris to do his usual (good run, no end product), and produced the delivery which led to the goal. Like Cowley said, we need to get him on the ball and dictating things...in this current set-up were asking a lot of him, and not getting anywhere near the output we should be from him.

Harris - 6 - He's a threat, in terms of his ability to carry the ball. But he's hopeless once he gets into any sort of dangerous position. To be fair, he's always open to receiving the ball, and never shirks responsibility. But he needs competition, and we desperately need an alternative this window. 

Reach - 5 - Struggled...like Bannan, he looks frustrated and fed-up playing with such technically inadequacies. Was given the frankly hopeless task of essentially been told to play centre midfield and right wing in the 1st half... and achieved nothing doing so.

Windass - 5 - He was anonymous before his injury. Which was no surprise given the level of passing ability that was occurring behind him.

Paterson - 6 - Got the all important goal...but he wasn't very good. 1st half, he offered absolutely nothing. Won nothing in the air, didn't hold the ball up, and just seemed to run around barging into people. Did well to win the header in the lead up for the goal, and bravely stuck his head in. But, it's another position that glaringly needs addressing.

Kachunga - 6 - Thought he looked lively when he came on, and played with a point to prove. Should've scored before half time.

Overall...

I'm delighted we've won the game. But it does nothing to think we've got enough to avoid relegation. Very similar type of performance to the Boro game.

I've watched a lot of Championship football over the last decade...and I'm struggling to think of a side that consistently looks so abysmally woeful in possession. How does a team go from the technicians that Carlos built to this...in such a short space of time?! 

I was concerned watching the game, with the passive nature of both our players and coaching staff. Of course, results are everything, but it really did seem as though we were just waiting for Derby to score before changing anything. Luckily, Derby fluffed their lines, and we profited from a goalmouth scramble, and people will brush the glaring problems under the carpet.

But, make no mistake about it...performances cannot continue to be so poor technically. We have to start finding a way of gaining some sort of control in possession. We are neither patient passes nor decisive counter attackers.

We got away with one tonight. Derby were vastly superior, in most departments...and the worrying aspect is, they are down there with us. Derby will be alright...we need a manager in quickly, that can assemble some sort of technical composure within the team.

Whoever comes in, has got attributes like desire, work-rate, determination in abundance, and that of course goes far. But, over the course of a season, you need a threat offensively. And at the minute, haven't got any.

* Harris should be a 7.

It was a scratch team and it showed. We were so lucky we weren't 3 or 4 down at half time. Second half we were much better.

Odubajo for me.

Shaw, brave of him to stand in at CB, was lost in the first half but didn't let it worry him, much better second half. He's a tryer and needs a new contract.

Harris, great game but still can't cross. made a few great runs

Lees, I thought he would fall apart without Dunkley telling him what to do but he didn't He had a good game.

Kachunga did ok without excelling but considering he's had no game time I thought he could come good if he gets a few games.

Despite our good run we are always on the backfoot. We need a few loans in up front to give us a chance of playing in the oppositions half. At present we barely see the ball and rely on nicking goals at set pieces.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Harris was good as was Odubajo. 

But I voted for Paterson because I posted during the match about how garbage he was just three seconds before he scored!

As an apology to him, I give him my vote. 

Cheers!

My son and I were giving Paterson pelters all game. Then he scored. 

Edited by Holmowl

Was far from a vintage performance but despite some bizarre comments in the matchday thread that our players were not trying, they dug deep and got 3 points. Derby had 70% possession and a lot of the ball in our half first half. They should have scored with the header that hit the bar but Wildsmith didn't really have a telling save to make and we had more shots on target.

Bannan again key to the goal with his 'terrible' set piece delivery and we should have scored from one in the first half too.

Harris never stopped running, Shaw made a couple of errors but stepped up to play an unfamiliar role at short notice. 

Not pretty but ultimately effective.  

Wildsmith - 6. Not a lot to do, but didn’t convince with the little he did have to do. 

Odubajo - 7.5 Thought he played well defensively and tried to get forward when he could.

Shaw - 7 struggled first half, did well second half. 

Lees - 7 Solid game

Palmer- 7 Defended well, one of his better matches. 

Harris- 7.5 MotM for me. Fantastic at releasing pressure with some excellent runs.

Bannan - 6 a mixed bag from him today, almost cost us a goal with an awful pass on edge of the box.

Pelpussey - 5.5 better second half than first, but not great.

Reach - 6 Did ok

Paterson - 6 Would be a five but for the goal. Dreadful performance in general, off the pace and terrible touch and distribution. Summed up when he tried to take a quick free kick and passed it straight to a Derby player, thankfully the ref called it back.

Windass - 6 was doing ok before injury.

Subs

Kachunga - 6 Worked hard and contributed.

Rhodes - 5 Ran about a bit

Delighted with the win and the team worked hard. It showed again though that this team is not suited to 4-4-2. We just don’t have the presence in midfield for it to work. Things improved when Kachunga came a bit deeper.

Pleased we have a 2 week break from league action now. Hopefully get a couple back from injury, a couple of signings and a manager in by then!

Harris for me. Worked his backside off and was our only really dangerous player. I do wish he would release the ball quicker at times - he beats his man cuts inside and instead of passing to a player in good position he wants to stop and go again. But he was decent tonight.

Lees and Shaw rock solid at the back. Palmer and Moses did their job well. Palmer played one peach off a ball thru to Paterson.

Little Bazza worked his socks off and there were a few nice passes but I feel he has become to defensive minded which isn't surprise considering our form. Would love him to play the ball forward more and not backwards.

Joey heart in mouth stuff every time he touches the ball but he was solid in second half breaking it up.

I only knew Windass was playing when he came off! Pateron credit for sticking his head in a dangerous place for the goal but he didn't do much else - but we have needed his goals.

Wildsmith how has he got this far in his career without being able to kick a football properly? Needs to work on that big time.

Rhodes offered nothing as usual and so easy to knock off the ball.

Good results in last 4 games but we are still a very average side. Hope we rest a few in the FA cup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1