• Harris
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Windass
    • Reach
    • Kachunga
    • Rhodes

Guest Kagoshimaowl

A didn’t think we played well at all but we dug in. A ‘Pulis’ performance if I ever saw one ironically.

Woldsmith 6 thought he was lucky to get a clean sheet. Can’t kick, always stuck to his line. Nowhere near Westwood level

Odubajo 7 defended well. Has really improved this season 

Lees 7 worked hard and defended well...again.

Shaw 7 poor for the first 30. Outstanding for the next 70 but then an awful mistake at the end. Will learn.

Palmer 7 solid

Reach 5 thought he struggled. Didn’t look fit

Pelupessy 6 he’s so limited but is doing better than last season.

Bannan 7 some lovely crosses and passes, especially the one for Kachunga. Not at his best at the moment 

Harris 8 my MOM. Thought he worked really hard and defended well. That block at the end was outstanding. Would have conceded a penalty with VAR though.

Windass 5 struggled and injured 

Paterson 6 thought he was awful but he stuck away his only chance. He looks like a pub player but I like him and I have no idea why!

Kachunga 5 ran about and missed a sitter. He really isn’t good enough

Rhodes 6 won a few free kicks but as above

A dogged performance that could really shape our season now. Just two observations.
1. As for Liam Shaw, I think we have a real prospect on our hands. 19 year old who was excellent in midfield on Tuesday, then drops into a back 4 and has a great game on the whole. Get him signed up.

2. I though we struggled playing a back 4. 4-4-2 is hard for us as Bannan and Pelupessy as a pair aren’t good enough but credit to Thompson for playing it. We only have ONE fit centre half at the club. The two previous managers would have shoehorned players into the wrong positions to keep the formation. We’d have probably lost as a result.

Odubajo by a mile had a stormer, the whole defence played well,2nd game running theyve been under siege. Paterson and Bannan have worked hard tonight,never stopped trying to influence the game in our favour, Bannan is just a machine he never stops running.

Sorry but I dont buy into the love in with Harris, pace apart the kids like a park player, cant cross pass or shoot,gives away cheap free kicks around his own box.liability, he couldnt hold a candle to Wallace.anyone calling Paterson the new Nuihu wants to give their heads a wobble,big Adthe was twice the player hel ever be!

5 hours ago, debram said:

Gave it to tom lees because before the game i predicted him to crumble under pressure as no westwood or dunk etc to give him confidence, eat my words, well done tom.

And he wanted it more to win the scrappy header for Patterson to finish. Well done Tom, you are never going to be Luis Figo but as long as people stop expecting that of you then you are a solid player at this level....... As long as you don't have the pressure of the captains armband. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

A didn’t think we played well at all but we dug in. A ‘Pulis’ performance if I ever saw one ironically.

Woldsmith 6 thought he was lucky to get a clean sheet. Can’t kick, always stuck to his line. Nowhere near Westwood level

Odubajo 7 defended well. Has really improved this season 

Lees 7 worked hard and defended well...again.

Shaw 7 poor for the first 30. Outstanding for the next 70 but then an awful mistake at the end. Will learn.

Palmer 7 solid

Reach 5 thought he struggled. Didn’t look fit

Pelupessy 6 he’s so limited but is doing better than last season.

Bannan 7 some lovely crosses and passes, especially the one for Kachunga. Not at his best at the moment 

Harris 8 my MOM. Thought he worked really hard and defended well. That block at the end was outstanding. Would have conceded a penalty with VAR though.

Windass 5 struggled and injured 

Paterson 6 thought he was awful but he stuck away his only chance. He looks like a pub player but I like him and I have no idea why!

Kachunga 5 ran about and missed a sitter. He really isn’t good enough

Rhodes 6 won a few free kicks but as above

A dogged performance that could really shape our season now. Just two observations.
1. As for Liam Shaw, I think we have a real prospect on our hands. 19 year old who was excellent in midfield on Tuesday, then drops into a back 4 and has a great game on the whole. Get him signed up.

2. I though we struggled playing a back 4. 4-4-2 is hard for us as Bannan and Pelupessy as a pair aren’t good enough but credit to Thompson for playing it. We only have ONE fit centre half at the club. The two previous managers would have shoehorned players into the wrong positions to keep the formation. We’d have probably lost as a result.

Can’t believe we played a 100 minutes 😂

• Haha 1

Let’s not gloss over how rocky we looked in the opening half an hour. Whether this is still a hangover from the Monk/Pulis ‘Filozifee’ or not, we look far too passive at times. Those Derby Wing Backs had the freedom of the city to run at us and get dangerous crosses in. Wildsmith did nothing to inspire confidence in Westwood’s absence, should have been punished from that early effort he didn’t hold on to.

That being said.....much better Second half. Kachunga did well in Windass’s stead, Paterson is starting to show the Nuhiu tendency of not playing great but having a vital impact at key moments. Harris, Odubajo, Palmer, Lee’s and Shaw were superb in keeping us in the game.

I went for Harris as MoM, for reasons that others here have already written (outlet for pressure, worked hard, started some good attacks, etc)

Well done lads, a pleasantly surprising Christmas and New Year. Season starts now.

• Like 2

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Chansiri is king said:

Can’t believe we played a 100 minutes 😂

lol! Maths has never been my strongpoint!

Palmer, Bannan and Harris could have been MOTM, but Shaw and Odubajo were my picks. I went with Odubajo (my heart) instead of Shaw (my head) though. 

Wildsmith - 7  Seemed cool/calm, didn't really have much to do and made some good saves and catches.

Palmer - 8  Solid

Shaw - 8  Amazing again, even at CB this time. Made some great tackles ect, headers and blocks. Was always communicating too.

Lees - 7  Didn't see as much as him compared with the rest of the defence, but was great.

Odubajo - 8 MOTM  Amazing in defence, didn't get forward much and crossing was poor when he did.  

Reach - 7  Alright, worked hard and did better in the second half when he was playing LM and made some good crosses.

Bannan - 8  Got a 8 as he was working hard all over the pitch.

Pelupessy - 7  Alright, did his job, but still needs support in midfield.

Harris - 8  Was vastly improved in all areas from Middlesbrough, again played better in the second half when he was playing RM. 

Windass - 6  Went off early injured.

Paterson - 7  Worked hard, but didn't really do much aside from the goal where he was sharp to the situation and put his head in. It's the goals that count though, I'm really pleased for him.

Kachunga - 7  Played good when he came on, was always working and had 1-2 good chances. Look liked a different player and it was the best I've seen him play so far. Before I kinda forgot about him, as I nicknamed him and Brown bench buddies haha. He's hasn't really had a chance and got some stick, but hopefully he continues with these performances.  

Rhodes - 6  Wasn't involved much after coming on and us defending.

Referee - Good/Great  Was a bit fast on the whistle at times though.

Overall another solid/great performance from the coaches and players. We were poor first half and improved second half as Thompson kinda said. Also it was nice to see that we left at least someone upfield for corners, as I didn't see this happen under pulis or monk. Derby didn't look like scoring really after us (same as Middlesbrough when it was 2-1), if that was down to us or those teams being poor or both I don't know. We could have maybe been losing at half time yesterday though, maybe it's down to us being knackered as Thompson said again. I couldn't be happier though with 2 wins out of 2 and good performances ect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OwlsAustralia said:

Harris for me. Worked his backside off and was our only really dangerous player. I do wish he would release the ball quicker at times - he beats his man cuts inside and instead of passing to a player in good position he wants to stop and go again. But he was decent tonight.

Lees and Shaw rock solid at the back. Palmer and Moses did their job well. Palmer played one peach off a ball thru to Paterson.

Little Bazza worked his socks off and there were a few nice passes but I feel he has become to defensive minded which isn't surprise considering our form. Would love him to play the ball forward more and not backwards.

Joey heart in mouth stuff every time he touches the ball but he was solid in second half breaking it up.

I only knew Windass was playing when he came off! Pateron credit for sticking his head in a dangerous place for the goal but he didn't do much else - but we have needed his goals.

Wildsmith how has he got this far in his career without being able to kick a football properly? Needs to work on that big time.

Rhodes offered nothing as usual and so easy to knock off the ball.

Good results in last 4 games but we are still a very average side. Hope we rest a few in the FA cup.

Good point on Bannan, I kinda noticed it too. Also I couldn't remember if Palmer's through ball happened haha, so thanks. 

• Like 1

Odubajo, he was excellent not only going forward but also in defence well assisted by Harris. Great team effort with so many out injured and another clean sheet. Thought Rooneys Rams flattered to deceive with the room we gave them first half and did not look so good when we started playing in the second half. Well done boys.

• Love 1

Players should be very proud of that win.

They looked shot in the first half , but dug in and got three points. Our better footballers - bannan, Harris et al didn’t play well but made up for it with work and running.  Reach looked like he was carrying a knock and was poor, the break now will be good for him as he is a key player we need fit.

the defence is much more stable without van aken . He should be loaned out if we can and if he is fit enough to be loaned out . 

• Like 1

Simply putting Palmer left side instead of Van Aken improves the defence. I feel for JVA but he isn’t good enough and needs sending out on loan. Lees has been in fine form which is good to see, back to his best. Pelupessy, I feel is really adding something to the team now. He is limited but he makes up for it with his battling and determination. I don’t mind him playing simple ball if it feeds the likes of Bannan, Harris or Reach. 

Harris and Odubajo were great last night, just gave it to Harris. Had a strong game and gave us an outlet when under pressure from Derby. A real battle to stay in the game which we grew into and took our chance. That’s all that matters currently, results and points on the board. 

10 from 12 over Christmas, what a turnaround to our season and now a much needed rest, get players back for two monumental games - Coventry and Wycombe. 

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Reach had a good game? Jeez are fans are generous after a win. He was miles off it last night, miles. Was 2 yards behind the ball at every opportunity and got skinned at will 

i cant remember him getting a kick ...i like reach but he wernt at the races last night .

6 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Reach had a good game? Jeez are fans are generous after a win. He was miles off it last night, miles. Was 2 yards behind the ball at every opportunity and got skinned at will 

His lobbed attempt in the first half summed it up for me. Harris looked to burst forwards on occasion but as usual no end product. Chuffed with the result but its really frustrating watching the performance. Nobody should have been rated higher than a six for me.