Tony Pulis post match comments

18 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

If anyone thinks he sent Pelupessy on to chase the game they've been eating too many Skittles.

Clearly it was a damage limitation exercise by that stage. 

We could have sent on Prime Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer in the second half but it would have had no effect when the other 9 were all putting in their worst individual performances of the season. 

I don't like it any more than you do. But there are times when you know a performance is so bad that keeping it to two is about the best the night is going to offer. 

Damage limitation against an average Huddersfield team at half-time?

If that was the case then he should have done it properly and rested 3 or 4 more of his preferred starters who he says are tired. That way they would be less tired for the Barnsley game where we need to try and get 3 points rather than play to not lose by more than 2-0. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Damage limitation against an average Huddersfield team at half-time?

If that was the case then he should have done it properly and rested 3 or 4 more of his preferred starters who he says are tired. That way they would be less tired for the Barnsley game where we need to try and get 3 points rather than play to not lose by more than 2-0. 

Perhaps he could. We don't know the state of play.  I've seen better benches.

One can only imagine the scenes around the interent had he subbed on Van Aken to save Iorfa for example.

It might be he looked at the bench and thought any of those going ono might make damage limitation an impossibility.

22 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

It's simple his defensive tactics are doomed.... teams are finding a way through and the few attacks won't bring goals. They did try to get forward In the 2nd half but they now look like a side who are starting to believe we are going down....... got to score goals to lift things not bloody defend and give goals away anyway. Wrong choice and we are getting worse...... Monk had to go but under him we could defend but not score (which was better than the abysmal defending last season) now we try to play deep don't  score and crumble under the pressure we bring on to ourselves. Needs to have a drastic change or we will go down. Just hope results go our way tomorrow night.....

We’re three months into a season and some are already worrying about other teams results. Those other teams include Wycombe. 

That is our level. As many on here often say - let that sink in.

14 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The Mighty Huddersfield?

I did watch tonight and what I saw is that they were a better team than us with better players than us.

We have to forget our historical notions of them being a small club up the road.

They have a better team and better players. As their league position and tonight's result, and performance testifies too.

It's a mentality entrenched in our game. I often think our huge KOP and excellent attendances blurs our vision about who we should be beating and who we shouldn't.

A huge club with our history etc etc.

The same trap England fell into expecting they should hammer a football backwater like Hungary, before we got our arris's handed to us. Because they were better...

I am under no illusions about where we are as a club but Huddersfield are one of the weaker teams in the division. We shouldn’t fear them or try and go there looking for a point. We should be going there trying to win

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The Mighty Huddersfield?

I did watch tonight and what I saw is that they were a better team than us with better players than us.

We have to forget our historical notions of them being a small club up the road.

They have a better team and better players. As their league position and tonight's result, and performance testifies too.

It's a mentality entrenched in our game. I often think our huge KOP and excellent attendances blurs our vision about who we should be beating and who we shouldn't.

A huge club with our history etc etc.

The same trap England fell into expecting they should hammer a football backwater like Hungary, before we got our arris's handed to us. Because they were better...

Which of their players stood out as being particularly good players on the basis of their performance tonight? They didn't have to be good, we were woeful and our tactics failed.

Before kick off they were 12 points better off than us - 6 of those can be attributed to the points deduction and as you have stated, for 12 games this season we had a manager adopting a poor approach so will have cost us points that our ability might otherwise get us. On that basis Huddersfield aren't a significantly better outfit than us player for player.  

Just now, Bigger Guns said:

I am under no illusions about where we are as a club but Huddersfield are one of the weaker teams in the division. We shouldn’t fear them or try and go there looking for a point. We should be going there trying to win

I agree we shouldn't fear them. 

But I'll be honest. I knew that game was lost after the first five or six minutes.

I suspect you did too? 

When so many players are all terrible at the same time. You know it's a dead game.

There was an apathy. Lethargy right through that team from minute one. 

I could have genuinely turned it off after two minutes and had a decent guess it would finish two or three goals to nil.

Sometimes there's too much wrong at once to be sorted during the game.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

But I'll be honest. I knew that game was lost after the first five or six minutes.

I suspect you did too? 

When so many players are all terrible at the same time. You know it's a dead game.

Id go further and say it could be said it was evident when the players got off the coach on IFollow and walked past the camera 

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I suspect you did too? 

I could have genuinely turned it off after two minutes and had a decent guess it would finish two or three goals to nil.

Sometimes there's too much wrong at once to be sorted during the game.

Yes I thought it was over early doors too. But I’m at home sat on my sofa watching it on the tv.

Pulis is paid millions to get results. He’s in a position to motivate players and make changes to effect a game. 

It’s not like a team has never come back from 2-0 down to get a result. Don’t be so defeatist 

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Perhaps he could. We don't know the state of play.  I've seen better benches.

One can only imagine the scenes around the interent had he subbed on Van Aken to save Iorfa for example.

It might be he looked at the bench and thought any of those going ono might make damage limitation an impossibility.

But how many points does damage limitation at 2-0 down get us? 

How many points could having tired players yet again cost us in the next match?

Don't moan about tired players as a manager if you are not going to use the bench when you are not aiming to win any points in the next 45 minutes anyway! 

23 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

What a load of rubbish. Damage limitation against the mighty Huddersfield? I don’t know if you watched tonight but they were garbage. If we showed some positivity and really had a go we could have got something

I don’t think Pulis knows how to ‘have a go’ with this squad.

Seems to have a one track mind, a bit like Monk and if we go behind we’re screwed. 

New managers usually get a win under their belts fairly quickly. Even if it’s a fluke. Not Pulis. 

This was the week we were supposed to have easier games, that’s gone out of the window too. We’re running out of straws to clutch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Which of their players stood out as being particularly good players on the basis of their performance tonight? They didn't have to be good, we were woeful and our tactics failed.

Before kick off they were 12 points better off than us - 6 of those can be attributed to the points deduction and as you have stated, for 12 games this season we had a manager adopting a poor approach so will have cost us points that our ability might otherwise get us. On that basis Huddersfield aren't a significantly better outfit than us player for player.  

As our beloved leader Mr Hargreaves has been telling everyone these last few days. The stats don't lie.

They've scored 13 more goals than us. Won 4 more games than us. 

So far this season. That makes them a better side than us.

It really does boil down to that.

Of course. We should have matched them. Should have given them a game.

If we'd played today at just 70% as well as we did at Carrow Road we's have got something, I'm sure.

But as I have just said to someone in another post...we knew this game was lost in the first 5 minutes.

There were just too many having bad days, and we aren't a team that can afford the odd player to have a bad day, never mind all of them.

I hope it's an anomaly.

One of those days. 

We all have to hope that.

If not...

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Id go further and say it could be said it was evident when the players got off the coach on IFollow and walked past the camera 

Did you see the shoulders after the first goal? The body language?

Finished. Absolutely finished. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

Yes I thought it was over early doors too. But I’m at home sat on my sofa watching it on the tv.

Pulis is paid millions to get results. He’s in a position to motivate players and make changes to effect a game. 

It’s not like a team has never come back from 2-0 down to get a result. Don’t be so defeatist 

You can tweak one or two things. You can make some substitutions. Tinker with the system.

But when everyone is having a nightmare, like today , you are literally just pissingin the wind.

It happens occasionally. 

We just have to hope it doesn't happen again.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

As our beloved leader Mr Hargreaves has been telling everyone these last few days. The stats don't lie.

They've scored 13 more goals than us. Won 4 more games than us. 

So far this season. That makes them a better side than us.

It really does boil down to that.

Of course. We should have matched them. Should have given them a game.

If we'd played today at just 70% as well as we did at Carrow Road we's have got something, I'm sure.

But as I have just said to someone in another post...we knew this game was lost in the first 5 minutes.

There were just too many having bad days, and we aren't a team that can afford the odd player to have a bad day, never mind all of them.

I hope it's an anomaly.

One of those days. 

We all have to hope that.

If not...

we've already had far too many 'bad days' for it to be an anomaly. 

This was a big game for us under Pulis, one of the reasons the last guy got the boot was because we failed to pick up points against those we should be around in the division. Had we got a decent points return against the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham, Luton, QPR, Millwall, then we would have had similar results to Huddersfield this season.

We changed manager in order to improve on those kind of results and as you say, we were beaten almost from the start tonight.

Not good enough at all. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thats what I was saying about them being fed up already. They know you win 1-0 with Pulis or thats you done for. 

I recon its only gonna get worse aswell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Great!

Bring in a new manager to improve results and morale. 

Heads down after 10 minutes against an average team. 

You cant just write it off as a bad night when we haven't won any games under him.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

we've already had far too many 'bad days' for it to be an anomaly. 

This was a big game for us under Pulis, one of the reasons the last guy got the boot was because we failed to pick up points against those we should be around in the division. Had we got a decent points return against the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham, Luton, QPR, Millwall, then we would have had similar results to Huddersfield this season.

We changed manager in order to improve on those kind of results and as you say, we were beaten almost from the start tonight.

Not good enough at all. 

I quite agree. It was a totally rotten performance from beginning to end.

15 minutes in I was already thinking what I'd do against Barnsley!

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I suspect players don't like defending without the ball most of the game, probably more than fans don't like watching it. 

At their heart, whatever their quality, players want to play football. It must be soul destroying to go out with the game plan we have. Even harder when your knackered or carrying a knock. 

Not excusing them, but not particularly motivational.

• Like 1