Royston Drenthe

I saw an interview with Jay-Z about him setting up an agency to manage US sports people's wealth.  He said that a large percentage of US sports men and women (particularly in the NFL) earn and absolute fortune but spend it as fast as they earn it and end up bankrupt soon after their career finishes.  I wonder if this is the case for professional athletes worldwide?  

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

I saw an interview with Jay-Z about him setting up an agency to manage US sports people's wealth.  He said that a large percentage of US sports men and women (particularly in the NFL) earn and absolute fortune but spend it as fast as they earn it and end up bankrupt soon after their career finishes.  I wonder if this is the case for professional athletes worldwide?  

That is quite common. That added to the need to fill the empty space caused by the retirement often means problems with money sooner or later.

I think that in the old days, many footballers returned to their old profession after their career was over.

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

I would have this is definitely true of footballers.

The problem is you get used to the money. If from 16 years old your trajectory has been increasing exponentially, then all of a sudden the maximum you can earn is a fraction of that, financial troubles are likely.

Of course they should plan better and know this ain’t going to last forever but you can see how it happens.

As for Drenthe, didn’t he dip his toes into grime or hip-hop?