Have we been playing beautiful football for the last 20 years? Have I missed something?

10 minutes ago, Buddy Repperton said:

We haven't got players to play decent football though!

Funny that but teams without a pot to p155 in locally can manage to play football to a reasonable standard and hold their own. Lots of our fans think the only way to complete is set up like we are playing Brazil from 1970 every week, 10 men behind the ball and hope for a lucky goal from a set piece. We are playing in the league with Luton Wycombe and Rotherham for god sake not Liverpool, Man City and Tottenham. 

Pulis and his brand of diarrhoea football isn’t going to take us anywhere, If it was so wonderful and winning why is he here and not at a club further up the pyramid looking to win stuff at the top table? His time has been and gone and football has moved on, it’s a shame our club and loads of our fans haven’t. This step back in time will end very badly.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I also believe that many fans believe that the style/standard of football is just Pulis getting settled in, making us hard to beat etc

It isn't

This is the best Pulis will ever give us

When he gets a big massive brute of a striker up front things will get worse as he will revert to just hoofing the ball up to the striker and then rushing up the pitch to try and win the second ball

Things will get worse ... doubtful . What realistically could he do with this side , with or without a big striker ? 

people can bang on about his style or that he’s boring , but he’s the best hope we have of staying up this year . The side is dreadful , yet already we are hard to beat . Anybody slagging off appointing pulis is either really dense or wants Wednesday to go down . Maybe both . 

15 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Things will get worse ... doubtful . What realistically could he do with this side , with or without a big striker ? 

people can bang on about his style or that he’s boring , but he’s the best hope we have of staying up this year . The side is dreadful , yet already we are hard to beat . Anybody slagging off appointing pulis is either really dense or wants Wednesday to go down . Maybe both . 

Anyone name calling is obviously struggling to come back with a credible argument and resorts to the lowest retort possible. As for wanting the team relegated, pick your dummy up son!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

But he's doing worse than Garry Monk was, we're getting zero shots on target, we've not won a single game under him and the football has been a bit dire

If that's the absolute best he can do why did we sack Garry Monk and give him the job?

Makes no sense

He’s having to do it with Monk’s players. Monk assembled the worst squad of players imaginable and Pulis has only them to work with. It’s like expecting a surgeon to work with a joiner’s tools. When he gets some new tools, it will be fair to judge him.

• Like 1

This side is still better than the sides of 2001 - 2005 , we are lacking pace up top and another wide player is required , currently we have 2 centre halves unavailable and Marriot who is injured and hasn't shown any form so far.

Pulis needs to address the striker issues as soon as possible , we will not score the required goals to keep us up with the present squad.

The football on Wednesday was dire but he's only playing to our strengths at the moment , 

I expect an improvement in the new year if we add to the squad where we are so lacking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, james o connor said:

He's the only hope of us staying up now because he's the manager. But as for the rest  - that's silly. Silly I tell you. 

15 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

We haven't got players to play decent football though!

I’m not saying that. I’m not expecting prime Barcelona tiki taka. Just to attack the opposition and have some shots would be nice. Long ball/direct/crosses on the box whatever, not fussed. 

Ok, let’s have a look at things. People say that we don’t have the players to play good football, but is that true? By championship standards, most our defenders are adept at playing to the sort of level required. You can’t say that a midfield three of Luongo, Brown and Bannan, are not capable of playing the passing game. In fact, it would clearly suit them more. Up front is an issue, but it’s an issue whichever system we play. We have no target man, and players like Reach, Windass and even Rhodes, would prefer ball to feet. 
So we can see, it’s a complete myth that we can’t play decent football, and we play like this, purely because manager wants us to play this way. It’s the only way he knows.

I think that because we saw some great games and top players under Carlis not that long ago, everyone else is going to get compared to that. Unfair but true.

Getting results this season is the key but when supporters return we will want to see a lot more play in the opposition half.

in recent years, I've seen us play once under Carvalhal, twice under Luhukay and one under Monk, I think? I can't remember the exact details. The only game I really enjoyed was the one under Carvalhal, against Millwall. I last saw us play Wigan under Monk and it was...I don't know how to describe it, but it was just really dull. I think I spent more time playing Pokemon Go than watching the match tbh.

Edited by FightLikeAGirl

On 03/12/2020 at 10:24, @owlstalk said:

These threads will become more frequent as time goes by and it dawns on people how Tony Pulis has his sides playing football

Yes, get Monk back in so we can go back to watching Brazil again. 

23 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

He’s having to do it with Monk’s players. Monk assembled the worst squad of players imaginable and Pulis has only them to work with. It’s like expecting a surgeon to work with a joiner’s tools. When he gets some new tools, it will be fair to judge him.

Monk wasn't responsible for the squad

FFP and the Recruitment Team were

Owlstalk Shop

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah - we're so much better now innit

lol

Don't know how many times i have to write this. Pulis would not have been my choice for new manager however I can understand why DC brought him in as would see him as the safest bet for avoiding relegation this season. Clearly (well clearly to everyone apart from you), Monk wasn't working. 

At least give him some time to turn things around, there has been some improvements over a difficult run of fixtures and whilst usually playing with 10 men. Compared to consecutive defeats to Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe things are better.

Why you have had such a downer on OUR manager from day 1 I have no idea yet consistently put out pro-Monk messages. I could understand it more if we'd just replaced Klopp who had us top of the league. 

I've explained my position maybe you could have the courtesy to explain yours but no doubt you'll just add some infantile comment or remove my post.

42 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Don't know how many times i have to write this. Pulis would not have been my choice for new manager however I can understand why DC brought him in as would see him as the safest bet for avoiding relegation this season. Clearly (well clearly to everyone apart from you), Monk wasn't working. 

At least give him some time to turn things around, there has been some improvements over a difficult run of fixtures and whilst usually playing with 10 men. Compared to consecutive defeats to Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe things are better.

Why you have had such a downer on OUR manager from day 1 I have no idea yet consistently put out pro-Monk messages. I could understand it more if we'd just replaced Klopp who had us top of the league. 

I've explained my position maybe you could have the courtesy to explain yours but no doubt you'll just add some infantile comment or remove my post.

You have just asked @owlstalk why he has such a downer on OUR manager and in the same post are a massive downer on a Sheffield Wednesday manager Garry monk.

Are these so called downers allowed or not on this site ?

• Love 1