Have we been playing beautiful football for the last 20 years? Have I missed something?

36 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Think the point is wednesday fans are used to turgid football compared to how other clubs have played historically, and Pulis will be the same but has the track record of bringing a level of success to every role he’s had.  

We are, because too often we put up with it Why should we put up with the sort of unwatchable stuff we are being subjected to now? As the OP suggests, by and large it’s been grim for 25 years, so clearly it’s not working, so why persist?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Although the above is also my view and I’m just settling in to see how things progress, I can see why others won’t. 

I have come to the realisation as I get older that I’m a Wednesday fan. Not a fan of Football particularly. Mainly based on how the game as changed over the years. Away from a working man’s game, full of thunder and the underlying threat of violence and danger to a bland spectacle where ‘simulation’ is used to ‘win penalties’ and average players are multi millionaires. 

So for me, given what the game now is I will actually accept a fairly dire spectacle and take a bit of fight over skill. 

But can see others won’t. 

Not much can be done either way. Other than posting on here of course 😉

Added to which once we get back inside the ground and are able to watch after 2 or 3 pints of John Smiths it will all seem better

Pulls mentality kick everything up in the air! We were shocking to watch last night and didn’t deserve the point we got. Don’t get me wrong I am over the moon we got something out of the game but no way am I going to be paying to watch that crap when we are allowed back. 

No apologies to anyone who is salivating at the thoughts of us boring our way up to 4th bottom but it’s dire. Don’t anybody give me the fact we can’t entertain on our budget either as all the other South Yorkshire sides play a more entertaining style than us and have all done it on 10th of our budget.

Always be an Owl but I won’t pay good money to watch the anti football nonsense that Pulis is well known for. Big mistake in my eyes employing a six at the back hoof ball merchant and shows a lack of knowledge of the modern game. At the moment I wouldn’t care if I missed every game until this Mogodon powered Dinosaur is eventually put out to pasture.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

You can bet that in 3 months time there will be daily threads complaining about how boring the football is. 

At the moment people are happy with bore draws because of how poor we were before he arrived. But I'm sure that feeling will soon wear off.

The real test is are you/we the fans/supporters prepared to pay good money to watch the type of football played?...

Q: to the faithful(ST holders mainly) (1) I know for many its the day out,pint,chat with family/friends and shared occasion together,etc not just watching the football.

(2) Do you go to watch? or watch and be entertained? cos the two are different things arnt they?

To be entertained means(to me anyway) ball forward as much as possible,crosses into the box to strikers,wing backs overlapping,free kicks & corners into the box, etc etc

Seeing possession football into our own half,sideways passing,passing backwards,or to the GK...one lone striker up front....I wouldn't pay to watch,because its not entertaining.

Currently i accept that TP must do whatever,to survive,but as others have referenced once that is achieved is where the real crunch will come.

Pulis comes with a particular style attached to his  name....

Winning

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We are, because too often we put up with it Why should we put up with the sort of unwatchable stuff we are being subjected to now? As the OP suggests, by and large it’s been grim for 25 years, so clearly it’s not working, so why persist?

Yes I do find this argument very strange.

We've played largely rubbish, negative football for 25 years and had very limited success. It seems odd that people's reaction to that is we need to become even more negative.

Obviously 8 men behind the ball just isnt enough. The only way to success is Pulis' full on 10 men behind the ball approach.

I wonder how many other fanbases in the league would be happy to appoint Pulis.

42 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Just out of interest. What does not putting up with it mean to you?

Does it mean not watching it? Staring a campaign to get Pulis fired? Or something else?

Just now, Nero said:

Possibly the comment of the week. Unless you actually remember last season at home.

image.png.d4f7268a1cd8596af84ac9e7b958f105.png

Last season.  

This season: Played 11, Conceded 10.

Of those 10, three were in one game where Wednesday had a man sent off and the opposition had a penalty.   Man sent off = can't judge him for it.

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

Just out of interest. What does not putting up with it mean to you?

Does it mean not watching it? Staring a campaign to get Pulis fired? Or something else?

You didnt ask me,but ile answer what it means to me,losing a bit of love for football in general,and S6 in particular for reasons well documented and very well discussed on here.

The only real power we have at S6 is personal choice....Charlton as an example saw record numbers of people not renew their season tickets,which eventually had an impact....much is made of the TP appointment,i personally dont have an issue with the manager currently.

Has a almost herculean task,and has made an excellent start

Players? Yes...& i have said why..

Our problems need addressing away from the manager.....do i really need to spell it out?..

2 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Last season.  

This season: Played 11, Conceded 10.

Of those 10, three were in one game where Wednesday had a man sent off and the opposition had a penalty.   Man sent off = can't judge him for it.

I am going to judge him on the evidence of my own eyes while he was here along with the appalling statistics which also show he was truly useless. 

Monk is an absolute charlatan without a single recognisable outstanding management skill.

Tactically inept

His recruitment network was garbage

His communications were dire

He inspired absolutely no one

And he is really really unlucky. A Jonah.

• Like 1

One thing I don't get is the comment about Pulis being anti football.  

Playing direct football, isn't anti football imo. 

What is anti football is styles like tici taca football.   Imagine having a style of play like that with some of the best players in the world, watching that kind of football puts me to sleep.  

13 minutes ago, parajack said:

You didnt ask me,but ile answer what it means to me,losing a bit of love for football in general,and S6 in particular for reasons well documented and very well discussed on here.

The only real power we have at S6 is personal choice....Charlton as an example saw record numbers of people not renew their season tickets,which eventually had an impact....much is made of the TP appointment,i personally dont have an issue with the manager currently.

Has a almost herculean task,and has made an excellent start

Players? Yes...& i have said why..

Our problems need addressing away from the manager.....do i really need to spell it out?..

So in essence ‘not putting up with’ means not going.

If enough people don’t go then, at some point change happens. 

but, your final point in bold is even harder to change. 

I haven’t ever seen anyone come up with anything like a viable way of changing that. 

Just so anyone who bother to read this knows. My questioning of this isn’t about making a point. 

I am just interested in how people see the world and how they think things they don’t like get changed. 

My ultimate ambition would be to crowdsource the purchase of the club and then run it as a community asset. 

Dream big or don’t dream at all...