Have we been playing beautiful football for the last 20 years? Have I missed something?

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I also believe that many fans believe that the style/standard of football is just Pulis getting settled in, making us hard to beat etc

It isn't

This is the best Pulis will ever give us

When he gets a big massive brute of a striker up front things will get worse as he will revert to just hoofing the ball up to the striker and then rushing up the pitch to try and win the second ball

Cant wait.....

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I also believe that many fans believe that the style/standard of football is just Pulis getting settled in, making us hard to beat etc

It isn't

This is the best Pulis will ever give us

When he gets a big massive brute of a striker up front things will get worse as he will revert to just hoofing the ball up to the striker and then rushing up the pitch to try and win the second ball

That actually sounds quite exciting, a bit like a kick off in Rugby Union. 

30 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Just out of interest. What does not putting up with it mean to you?

Does it mean not watching it? Staring a campaign to get Pulis fired? Or something else?

A bit of all of those things really. I detest that type of football, and am certainly not happy having to watch it. I do watch these games, because if I don’t, it’s difficult to comment. Also, I’m always hopeful things will change, if not optimistic. In my opinion though, it’s important hold people to account

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ronio said:

One thing I don't get is the comment about Pulis being anti football.  

Playing direct football, isn't anti football imo. 

What is anti football is styles like tici taca football.   Imagine having a style of play like that with some of the best players in the world, watching that kind of football puts me to sleep.  

It can be a bit on the boring side, yes, if it’s going nowhere. However, it does give you an element of control. Booting it into touch, just means it keeps coming straight back at you

3 hours ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

🤣🤣 Not according to Mr Monk himself! 

You seriously think monk cherry picked the ones brought in? it was his job to choose from who was prepared to come,and from what income was available in wages etc to pay them.

it was also allegedly in my view part of his job to be the S6  front man for decisions made....

28 minutes ago, Ronio said:

One thing I don't get is the comment about Pulis being anti football.  

Playing direct football, isn't anti football imo. 

What is anti football is styles like tici taca football.   Imagine having a style of play like that with some of the best players in the world, watching that kind of football puts me to sleep.  

Some of my best moments watching us at home. The crowd shouting Olé as the opposition can’t get the ball off us as we pass it to feet and retain possession.

It’s not direct football if you only play for long throws and corners and have 10 men behind the ball it’s dire but not direct. I am sure most fans would rather see skill and ability rather than lump it and scarper. 

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

First of all, appointing Monk was clearly a mistake, so how long do you give a manager? If a manager is not working, and you keep giving him another window, when you do decide to make the change, you are stuck with players you don’t want. In my opinion, Pulis is also a poor appointment, and nothing I’ve seen so far has changed my mind. Unless he starts stringing some wins together, I wouldn’t let him spent a penny in January. 

So how would he do that with the logic you have ..just given?...Quote:you are stuck with players you don’t want.    We really must move away from this idea that every manager who comes in is inept,and another coming in,can get a tune out of our squad!   

You quite rightly identified that its allegedly the Players that are the issue..monk his self was stuck with players he didnt want/couldnt play for a whole host of reasons.....and no opportunity to bring in replacements (initially) than hampered in my opinion by a whole host of reasons for bringing in quality in the window(Windass,Patterson,Flint look reasonable in my view given the circumstances,)

Aim higher for alleged responsibility,not monk....

Edited by parajack

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

Some of my best moments watching us at home. The crowd shouting Olé as the opposition can’t get the ball off us as we pass it to feet and retain possession.

It’s not direct football if you only play for long throws and corners and have 10 men behind the ball it’s dire but not direct. I am sure most fans would rather see skill and ability rather than lump it and scarper. 

Your best is my worst,shouting 'Ole'..?? whats entertaining about that? usually sideways and backwards passing,usually ending in the ball being lost(eventually) or going back to the keeper....

What use is skill and ability if its not skill and ability in attack?...Yes we can all appreciate a good piece of defending,when needed,but thats not what gets the blood rising...

The ball in their half,and us attacking is what have given me my best moments

5 minutes ago, parajack said:

Your best is my worst,shouting 'Ole'..?? whats entertaining about that? usually sideways and backwards passing,usually ending in the ball being lost(eventually) or going back to the keeper....

What use is skill and ability if its not skill and ability in attack?...Yes we can all appreciate a good piece of defending,when needed,but thats not what gets the blood rising...

The ball in their half,and us attacking is what have given me my best moments

Each to their own but give me footballers over work horses any day of the week. I love to watch entertaining players and players with ability you don’t see in the Sunday League on the local park. If you are happy to watch the crap but 100% player then fair play but I am not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, parajack said:

So how would he do that with the logic you have ..just given?...Quote:you are stuck with players you don’t want.    We really must move away from this idea that every manager who comes in is inept,and another coming in,can get a tune out of our squad!   

You quite rightly identified that its allegedly the Players that are the issue..monk his self was stuck with players he didnt want/couldnt play for a whole host of reasons.....and no opportunity to bring in replacements (initially) than hampered in my opinion by a whole host of reasons for bringing in quality in the window(Windass,Patterson,Flint look reasonable in my view given the circumstances,)

Aim higher for alleged responsibility,not monk....

and it started long before Monk. We had an opportunity for a reset when DC took over, and his intentions seemed good. A pledge to play entertaining football, and the intention to bring in a coach who would work with the players, while a recruitment team identified players, all seemed reasonable. 
Initially it worked well, then DC brought in different advisors, and things started to go down hill. Bad advice kept coming, money was wasted on too many poor, or unnecessary players. The choice of managers was also all over the place, and a far cry from the original plan. If we keep changing tack, this is always going to happen, we will be stuck with too many players they don’t want. We now need another reset, but it can’t be the Pulis way. That is not a sustainable way of playing, and not an identity that Wednesday really want to be associated with, in my opinion

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

and it started long before Monk. We had an opportunity for a reset when DC took over, and his intentions seemed good. A pledge to play entertaining football, and the intention to bring in a coach who would work with the players, while a recruitment team identified players, all seemed reasonable. 
Initially it worked well, then DC brought in different advisors, and things started to go down hill. Bad advice kept coming, money was wasted on too many poor, or unnecessary players. The choice of managers was also all over the place, and a far cry from the original plan. If we keep changing tack, this is always going to happen, we will be stuck with too many players they don’t want. We now need another reset, but it can’t be the Pulis way. That is not a sustainable way of playing, and not an identity that Wednesday really want to be associated with, in my opinion

totally 100% agree.......

At times we have played bits of good stuff over the last 30 years but for the last 20 until Chansiri came in we had poor players at times loans but couldn't afford  quality.

Right now is a low point. Playing against every team as we are useless and they are real Madrid or Barcelona and we just defend for our lives.

Defence was okay it was getting it in the net! Right now it's awful cowardly cautious crap. You can't score goals with the team all stood inform of sour 18 yard box hitting it up to an odd player. Especially when all our players normally need several chances so 22% possession means a draw at best. Draws won't help us catch up and get out of trouble.

If your not bad defending then there is no reason not to play football. Pulis isn't wanted by most clubs because he is hugley and unnecessarily over defensive and football is supposed to be entertaining. It sure costs a lot. People don't want dross. It's a myth his style is effective at anything other than as a depressing sleeping pill......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

Last season.  

This season: Played 11, Conceded 10.

Of those 10, three were in one game where Wednesday had a man sent off and the opposition had a penalty.   Man sent off = can't judge him for it.

Well you can since we were 2-0 down (or 1-0 down with a penalty awarded) when we went down to 10 men

And you can't just ignore Monks defensive record from last season and then say defence has never been a problem at Hillsborough. Can we say Mourinho has won nothing because he's not won anything this year? No. 

14 hours ago, northeastowl said:

If you completely ignore his reputation the football he has played so far with us has been utter paint drying rubbish. If it was hoofball, direct attacking football I wouldn’t mind but it’s 11 men behind the ball. Even the commentator last night after 6 minutes had gone said it’s clear to see Sheffield Wednesday are going to sit back and let Reading attack them. 

If you’re happy with paying the highest prices in the league (when we’re allowed back in) to watch it then that’s fair enough. I for one though expect more. 

At the minute we’ve got a team that works hard which is the bare minimum a football team should do. We’ve no intention of playing any football. 

We haven't got players to play decent football though!