Have we been playing beautiful football for the last 20 years? Have I missed something?

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

These threads will become more frequent as time goes by and it dawns on people how Tony Pulis has his sides playing football

You can bet that in 3 months time there will be daily threads complaining about how boring the football is. 

At the moment people are happy with bore draws because of how poor we were before he arrived. But I'm sure that feeling will soon wear off.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

You can bet that in 3 months time there will be daily threads complaining about how boring the football is. 

At the moment people are happy with bore draws because of how poor we were before he arrived. But I'm sure that feeling will soon wear off.

Some people are already complaining - that is ridiculous.  I feel that Pulis' reputation for negative football (whether valid or not) is already clouding some people's judgement and reason.  Pulis' games thus far haven't been that entertaining but we were hardly playing beautiful football immediately prior to Pulis joining nor have we played beautiful football for many a year.  

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Some people are already complaining - that is ridiculous.  I feel that Pulis' reputation for negative football (whether valid or not) is already clouding some people's judgement and reason.  Pulis' games thus far haven't been that entertaining but we were hardly playing beautiful football immediately prior to Pulis joining nor have we played beautiful football for many a year.  

If you completely ignore his reputation the football he has played so far with us has been utter paint drying rubbish. If it was hoofball, direct attacking football I wouldn’t mind but it’s 11 men behind the ball. Even the commentator last night after 6 minutes had gone said it’s clear to see Sheffield Wednesday are going to sit back and let Reading attack them. 

If you’re happy with paying the highest prices in the league (when we’re allowed back in) to watch it then that’s fair enough. I for one though expect more. 

At the minute we’ve got a team that works hard which is the bare minimum a football team should do. We’ve no intention of playing any football. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I also believe that many fans believe that the style/standard of football is just Pulis getting settled in, making us hard to beat etc

It isn't

This is the best Pulis will ever give us

When he gets a big massive brute of a striker up front things will get worse as he will revert to just hoofing the ball up to the striker and then rushing up the pitch to try and win the second ball

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

I don’t care if we have 10% possession and 1 shot on goal each game, as long as we win it. I’d rather a boring win than a pulsating loss. Once we add 2/3 attacking players, I think under Pulis we’ll start grinding out those wins.

7 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I feel that Pulis' reputation for negative football (whether valid or not) is already clouding some people's judgement and reason.

Nope, just the results.

I expected crap football, but the key point of his appointment is that the style didn't matter, it was the points we were going to get.  4 games, 0 wins.  It's relegation form.

"ahh but Pulis has got us playing solid at the back".

Defence was never a real issue under Monk.  Including Dawson's catastrophe at Rotherham, Monk's side let in less than a goal a game on average.  Only 5 teams in the Championship have a better or equal  record.  I'm not taking away Dawson's Disaster because it happened and it's but if you were to take it away (like people seem to be counting red-card games as a de-facto victory), then we'd have the second best defence in the division under Monk.  

Tough Games though, Monk would have lost them all!

Like he led Wednesday to defeat over Bournemouth and Cardiff?

What about up front then, we never scored under Monk?

Monk's side scored more goals per game than Pulis has managed so far. 

Yes, but goals smoals, it's none of that, goals are so last century, it's the results that count.

Monk got more PPG than Pulis so far.

I think somewhere between Pulis being appointed and today, there's a parallel universe where people are now supporting fewer goals, fewer points because the Pulis brand of football is more exciting.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

As opposed to arguing the individual merits of the pulis style of football we have to consider the facts. The managers job at S6 is indeed a poisened chalice. damned if you do, damned if you dont....so as far as i'm concerned he is doing his absolute best with what he's got available. It's ridiculous to want entertaining football that loses every week. We'd all be blades if we wanted that. We have no strikers capable of doing anything in the championship so we have to make do with boring draws and hopefully getting out of trouble in january. In all seriousness. What else were people expecting?

Many of the replies on here prove my point.  People are expecting a marked difference already.  A new manager needs time to bed in.  If it's still bad after a reasonable time then let's push to change things but it's too early to start criticising.  I don't want to watch boring football but I also realise that every manager needs time to establish their style.  Pulis has had four games for heaven's sake - cut the man some slack.  

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

As opposed to arguing the individual merits of the pulis style of football we have to consider the facts. The managers job at S6 is indeed a poisened chalice. damned if you do, damned if you dont....so as far as i'm concerned he is doing his absolute best with what he's got available. It's ridiculous to want entertaining football that loses every week. We'd all be blades if we wanted that. We have no strikers capable of doing anything in the championship so we have to make do with boring draws and hopefully getting out of trouble in january. In all seriousness. What else were people expecting?

Although the above is also my view and I’m just settling in to see how things progress, I can see why others won’t. 

I have come to the realisation as I get older that I’m a Wednesday fan. Not a fan of Football particularly. Mainly based on how the game as changed over the years. Away from a working man’s game, full of thunder and the underlying threat of violence and danger to a bland spectacle where ‘simulation’ is used to ‘win penalties’ and average players are multi millionaires. 

So for me, given what the game now is I will actually accept a fairly dire spectacle and take a bit of fight over skill. 

But can see others won’t. 

Not much can be done either way. Other than posting on here of course 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

as far as i'm concerned he is doing his absolute best with what he's got available. 

But he's doing worse than Garry Monk was, we're getting zero shots on target, we've not won a single game under him and the football has been a bit dire

If that's the absolute best he can do why did we sack Garry Monk and give him the job?

Makes no sense

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop