Garry Monk and Adam Reach both agree he's a striker now

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

So if hes not  a centre forward and this apparently is where he will be most effective, their words, not mine, then what is he?

They're Neil's word, not Garry Monk's!

:duntmatter:

What Monk said is:

I spoke to Adam. I think it's a case of this season, with the system that we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

So moving him in off the wide - where he can do that job - I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective. He can play deeper than that but also I think there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality - I wouldn't say he's an out and out striker, but in that striker position where he can be effective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

Garry Monk explains: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

"He can play deeper than that.

"But there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality in terms of that striker position can be effective.

"I thought he did some really good work (against Walsall).

"It's all about improving and getting used to it. Like all the others, the attitude is there."

I can't believe that's an actual quote from Gary Monk.  I thought it was a joke. Things starting to look pretty desperate.

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

Garry Monk explains: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

"But there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality in terms of that striker position can be effective.

"It's all about improving and getting used to it. Like all the others, the attitude is there."

Well there you are then! No ambiguity and straight from the horse’s mouth. Proper Manager.

( he did say “in the centre”, and not exactly “centre forward” but there you go!

Large.jpg

Monk has said he’s sees Reach as a striker; the author of the article has stated that Reach has been earmarked as a centre-forward. There’s not enough info to determine what is meant. Will Reach’s role be a centre-forward playing with his back to goal, holding up the ball and playing other players in, or will it be as a striker where plays off and runs beyond a centre-forward and is expected to work the channels, or is he gone an “all rounder” where he does a bit of both? Is this s part time commitment or a full conversion? 

It’s hard to comment when you don’t have details. 

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Monk has said he’s sees Reach as a striker; the author of the article has stated that Reach has been earmarked as a centre-forward. There’s not enough info to determine what is meant. Will Reach’s role be a centre-forward playing with his back to goal, holding up the ball and playing other players in, or will it be as a striker where plays off and runs beyond a centre-forward and is expected to work the channels, or is he gone an “all rounder” where he does a bit of both? Is this s part time commitment or a full conversion? 

It’s hard to comment when you don’t have details. 

It really isn't

Adam Reach playing ANYWHERE central is like playing with ten men.

That's not an exaggeration or an emotional nonsense - it's sadly true. He offers (proven every time he's played centrally) absolutely nothing and if anything his lack of input causes our team to be under way more pressure than we need to be

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It really isn't

That's not an exaggeration or an emotional nonsense - it's sadly true. He offers (proven every time he's played centrally) absolutely nothing and if anything his lack of input causes our team to be under way more pressure than we need to be

Wow! That’s some reading between the lines there. 

Just now, shandypants said:

Wow! That’s some reading between the lines there. 

Not at all

All I'm saying is that Adam Reach's only effective position is on the left wing putting killer crosses in

Anywhere else and he's a total waste of a shirt, offers nothing, and the team plays like they do if they'd had a man sent off

That's no criticism of Adam Reach by the way - as a left winger he's great

But if we can't play him there he needs to go, not shoehorned  into  the side

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It really isn't

As in my previous post, I think he will play in a free role ahead of the midfield and behind the main striker in a 3-5-1-1 i.e. he can go wide or central but no longer “fixed” out wide on either flank.

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

As in my previous post, I think he will play in a free role ahead of the midfield and behind the main striker in a 3-5-1-1 i.e. he can go wide or central but no longer “fixed” out wide on either flank.

Which is ridiculous as he's completely ineffective, lightweight and non productive in that role

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

But if we can't play him there he needs to go, not shoehorned  into  the side

Football is largely a simple game and, critically, so are the lads that play it. Don't overcomplicate stuff. Players need to play in their best positions as much as possible. Adam Reach needs to go if there's no longer a need for a left winger.

• Like 1