Garry Monk and Adam Reach both agree he's a striker now

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Anyone else starting to get worried about our ability to sign new players right now?

Yeah,me....but even if we cant,reach wouldnt play in my team,shadow of his former self,would rather play Penney...if it come it

11 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Because we have a Frankenstein's monster of a squad, put together with no forethought or planning as to what formation, tactics or style of play we were going to use from one transfer window to the next.

What gets the best out of Iorfa doesn't get the best out of Palmer. What gets the best out of Reach doesn't get the best out of Bannan etc...

There's no system which suits all our players, I'm afraid.

Monk simply has to try to find a system that gets the best out of the players he believes can make a difference on a consistent basis and try to get what he can out of those players who it doesn't entirely suit until the club are able to move them on.

Good post mate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear, I just don't understand forcing players into a system. You surely have to play players in their strongest, most natural, comfortable position. 

1 striker when we're playing 2

0 wingbacks when we're playing 2

Can't see this ending well if I'm honest. So hope I'm wrong

2 hours ago, horny owl said:

Can’t wait for the season to start now just to see how many posters on here backtrack when reach scores a hat trick first time out in his new role.

# believe in reach 

I take it you missed the start of the season at the weekend where Reach played in that role and barely touched the ball 3 times.

Monk was impressed though.

Cant the alleged saviours in beattie etc have a word with monk and offer some much needed intellect?

I thought strikers are either quick, technical, good at creating a yard or strong, good in the air, natural goalscorers and finishers etc.

Reach is none of these and to say so is delusional and/or admitting he cant attract a decent striker.

Reach is very good at running on the left in a straight line and putting good low crosses in, thats it although he is probably better than harris at this due to being left footed!

If reach thinks otherwise he maybe thinks hes better than he is, another who will likely leave for free next summer, car crash club

On 07/09/2020 at 08:40, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

Garry Monk explains: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

"He can play deeper than that.

"But there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality in terms of that striker position can be effective.

"I thought he did some really good work (against Walsall).

"It's all about improving and getting used to it. Like all the others, the attitude is there."

Title should read Monk and Reach agree he is shiter now.

• Haha 1

Anyone got any stats when hes played up front or no10? Id guess 15 apps, 0 goals and 0 assists.

On left would guess assists on par/not far off bannan (pro rata as hes hardly played there under monk).

Managers are meant to get the best out of players, not the worst!

Monk's commented on the situation a little more today:

"Of course, whenever you don't start an out-and-out striker people will talk, but I can't stop that.

My job is to try to work and understand this group and what we might need this season, with the group that we have right now. I might need to use certain options in certain positions because of injuries or a certain game, so that's what part of Saturday was."

I know it doesn't feed the hysteria, but he's clearly aware that neither Reach nor Brown are 'an out-an-out striker' and was simply trying to explore options with the squad as it currently stands in case of injuries.

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Monk's commented on the situation a little more today:

"Of course, whenever you don't start an out-and-out striker people will talk, but I can't stop that.

My job is to try to work and understand this group and what we might need this season, with the group that we have right now. I might need to use certain options in certain positions because of injuries or a certain game, so that's what part of Saturday was."

I know it doesn't feed the hysteria, but he's clearly aware that neither Reach nor Brown are 'an out-an-out striker' and was simply trying to explore options with the squad as it currently stands in case of injuries.

Sounds like waffle to me mate, not from you, but from him. Surely there will never be a scenario when we will have to play two midfielders as our strike pairing. In the next round, will he be trying out Bannan and Luongo at centre back just in case we might be stretched in that department If he didn’t think Windass was ready, he should have played Rhodes with Reach and Brown supporting him from out wide

Just now, gurujuan said:

Sounds like waffle to me mate, not from you, but from him. Surely there will never be a scenario when we will have to play two midfielders as our strike pairing. In the next round, will he be trying out Bannan and Luongo at centre back just in case we might be stretched in that department If he didn’t think Windass was ready, he should have played Rhodes with Reach and Brown supporting him from out wide

Meh, it's not worth losing sleep over, is it?

I think he was simply using the Walsall game as an extension of pre-season. Given how thin we are up front, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we might need to play an attacking midfielder such as Brown or Reach slightly further forward at some point, unless the chairman is able to get another deal or two over the line.

I doubt the plan is to play Reach and Brown as a regular pairing, and Monk's words appear to confirm that, just as they did last weekend, too.

The overreaction on here has been hilarious to witness though, especially since a lot of it is based on something Monk never actually said (that Reach's best position is centre forward).

• Like 1