Garry Monk and Adam Reach both agree he's a striker now

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward

That’s moving really fast I was still considering if he was a professional footballer...

never mind a centre forward Position

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

So Reach will be running out to the left wing, swinging in his own cross, then legging it back into the box to meet it and 'score the goal'??

Great plan!

lol

On a serious note I think GM is considering playing him behind the main striker and ahead of midfield and the goals video plus his assists that we all know about from the left-hand side only support that it could work.

CC played FF in a similar role but more “stuck” to the left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bulgaria said:

If only Reach could get back to his best. Seeing those goals makes you realize how far back he has gone recently.

Physically too. He’s looked frail for the last year. Maybe he’s leaner but I’d say it’s been detrimental to his already weak physical ability.

• Like 1

Just now, sonofbert2 said:

On a serious note I think GM is considering playing him behind the main striker and ahead of midfield and the goals video plus his assists that we all know about from the left-hand side only support that it could work.

CC played FF in a similar role but more “stuck” to the left.

You could make a video of any of our players that made them look world class though

Every time Reach plays anywhere other than left wing you never even notice he's on the pitch. He's just a passenger

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

You could make a video of any of our players that made them look world class though

Every time Reach plays anywhere other than left wing you never even notice he's on the pitch. He's just a passenger

He’s not.  You can call him weak, aimless, whatever you want but if you watch him you can never fault his fitness and work rate.

Yes, he’s gone a bit backwards last year or so but he always makes the runs even if he doesn’t make the tackles.

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

Garry Monk explains: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

"He can play deeper than that.

"But there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality in terms of that striker position can be effective.

"I thought he did some really good work (against Walsall).

"It's all about improving and getting used to it. Like all the others, the attitude is there."

tenor.gif

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Really want to give Monk a chance this season, but seeing things like this really winds me up. What has he exactly seen in any match that suggests Reach could make a decent centre forward. 

He’s a decent winger and nothing else.

Monk's not said that he sees Reach as a centre forward.

• Like 2

ridiculous he has never been a striker last two games show this he is far to weak for a start he would crap it everytime a defender comes near him,excellent crosser of the ball and strikers need service so that ability will be gone should be competing for left back spot 

If Monk and Reach have decided between themselves that Reach should be played in more central areas, rather than the LWB role he's naturally suited to, then there will be one conclusion.

Reach spending the majority of his time sitting watching from the bench, whilst his contract agonisingly ticks down to the point where we release our £5m investment piece for knob all in a years time.

Ludicrous conclusion to come to. Reach is a wide player...why do we (and Reach himself) seem set on forcing him into a position he's very rarely performed in?!  

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

Garry Monk explains: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

"He can play deeper than that.

"But there's an opportunity to use him in certain games or certain situations where his quality in terms of that striker position can be effective.

"I thought he did some really good work (against Walsall).

"It's all about improving and getting used to it. Like all the others, the attitude is there."

This must be a typo, or some kind of joke!

Harries has a good try down the wings, works hard and is a bit quicker than Reach, but even when playing out of position, Reach goes onto the left wing once in a while and instantly delivers the best ball of the game for an assist. There is absolutely no point in putting anybody in the middle if we cannot get the ball to them. Reach should be played in the position we bought him to play in, not all over the pitch in every position except the keeper! Similarly Murphy was tried in a few different positions including up front and always looked better on the wing because people could get the ball to him there and he was the expert on the right wing that could get the ball into the front men. Even Penney, on Saturday, showed some of the class he always showed in the U23s a few years back, by getting some of the best balls into the box and our first shot on target, when he came on against Walsall.  

Reach had injuries last season, which considering the very high number of games he played every other season, was always going to happen sooner or later. If we do not play him in his best position then we might as well sell him. I do not want to see him go and like a lot of other people I think he is one of our best players, but why continue to play him out of position when the bloke that has replaced him cannot match his goals and assists from that position?

If this report is real, I reckon Reach would agree to anything just to get on the pitch. He needs to stand up for himself and explain to Monk that now he is back to full fitness he is the best man for the left side position and Harries might be better using his pace up front, where it can make more of a difference.

Having said that I would much rather us push the boat out and sign up a striker like Ivan Toney and a right winger like Murphy, because we need to create and put away more goal scoring opportunities.