Garry Monk and Adam Reach both agree he's a striker now

In terms of strategies and long-term plans this season is time to forget it for a while.

This season is the very short-term, dealing with the circumstances we’re in, forgetting about how we got here and purely concentrating on maintaining our current status to build and think about that stuff next season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Dawson

Iorfa     Börner     Dunkley   

Odubajo     Luongo     Bannan     Penney

Brown

Kachunga     Rhodes

I reckon that system has the potential to bring the best out of most of our likely starters. 

You reckon? have you seen these players play this system for us? Monk hasn't seen these players play this system.

Edited by full fathom five

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

In terms of strategies and long-term plans this season is time to forget it for a while.

This season is the very short-term, dealing with the circumstances we’re in, forgetting about how we got here and purely concentrating on maintaining our current status to build and think about that stuff next season.

Absolutely, its got to be short term at the mo, no f....ing choice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Get me 1 striker and I can put out a competitive team with what we have.

Westwood in goal (Wildsmith if he is not fit)

Palmer, Borner, Iorfa, Odabajo

Reach, Luongo, Brown, Kachunga

Windass

A N Other (J Collins)

We have the players to play a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-3-3- when attacking. We don't have wing backs at the club that can both defend and attack, Bannan cannot play in a midfield 2 but all the other midfielders can, so simple don't play him until he learns, Windass, Brown, Luongo all have a goal threat but from midfield playing up front the talent is wasted. Reach and Kachunga can cross a lot better than Harris and Odabajo and they will provide the opportunities for with the crosses but also getting on the end of some of each others crosses and chipping in with goals and we need a striker who can hold the ball up and is mobile enough to get in behind the back line when needed for me Collins is that man.

And the elephant in the room (not outside the ground) Westwood is still the best keeper we have, he is not the keeper of 2 season ago but he is still the best option we have and will win us more points than he loses, but its the confidence he brings to the player in front of him that is regularly forgotten.

Look this is my team with what we have. But while Monk remains I can unfortunately only see the club falling further.

Spot on.

Bar strikers we can mostly make 2 teams that will be competitive in games:

Westwood

Wildsmith

Odubajo  Iorfa  Borner  Penney

Palmer  Lees  Dunkley  van Aken

Reach  Luongo  Brown  Bannan

Kachunga  Waldock  Dele  Harris

Windass  Rhodes

So 2 new strikers. Yes van Aken isnt a left back, but Palmer could go there if needs be. We lack a DM, i know Luongo does this job but hes more box to box but Waldock is a prospect in that position. 

Were starting way behind everyone and need to pick up points. Going with the above playing a tight 2 banks of 4 and trying to keep the ball a lot more would give us a chance in a lot of the games IMO.

Recruitment 101.......forget signing what you’re desperate for, just tell your players they play a different position.

This kind of sh!t hardly inspires confidence in the decision makers at S6.

Edited by Morepork

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Anyone else starting to get worried about our ability to sign new players right now?

Anyone decent who we could persuade to sign would certainly want a clause in their contract agreeing a reasonable fee to leave if we can’t overcome the -12 and get relegated.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

That is right in the most part but playerwise we have to think to the future. We have loads out of contract at the end of the year we cant be losing money by letting them go for free.

Contracts should be being dealt with NOW

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

1. Yes they do, most analogies work, its just simple priorities

2. Windass isnt a forward, hes a midfielder. We may as well not have Rhodes, hes parp and will remain parp. Was a striker, isnt anymore. If we could get rid we would. Yes we have Kachunga, we need 3 more. 

3. Maybe any players out of work earning nothing would like a job. If we can sign Brown and Dunkley why cant we sign a striker?

In your analogy you imply that the fuel is critical to the car running and the tyres less so, football is different. Look at West Brom they got promoted with goals being shared around the team, Spain won international trophies without playing a striker, Watkins was joint top scorer in the league yet brentford didn’t get promoted.

I didn’t say Rhodes was any good, you said we have no strikers and we do - Rhodes. And windass is a forward not a midfielder, if a midfielder had a consistent scoring rate of 1/4 throughout his career like windass has then he wouldn’t be worth as little as he is now. 

Implying that we just sign anyone as they are out of a job is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard. Part of the reason we are in this mess is because we are hoarding players that nobody else wants so we don’t need anymore.
Brown (and kachunga) both stated that the coaching team were a huge factor in them signing for us, without them in place maybe the deal offered wouldn’t have been enough? Dunkley I don’t know, maybe he didn’t have any other offers or maybe he did.

strikers generally command higher fees and wages than defenders and given that we havnt got any money and we still have a bloated wage bill on worthless players I would say finding a good striker to sign for us will he hard.

16 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I never miss a chance to appeal Monk out, unfortunately i get bloody loads of them haha

I have to agree with you, and this is my problem as how the club is run there is no long term plans. We should never be losing players for nothing we should be getting money back its just business sense. As a lot did i think we should have sold Reach when his stock was high, but we didnt and now its pretty low in a bad market. However, we have to try and get something for him, we cant be losing 5 million as we cant fit him in our formation.

I don’t know what bids we have had or havnt had but players who have at one time had value and we will lose/have lost for nothing include

FF

Reach

Lees

Bannan

Its ridiculous 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

You reckon? have you seen these players play this system for us? Monk hasn't seen these players play this system.

I don't know what he's seen on the training pitch, but other than Dunkley and Kachunga, he's seen all of these players in these positions either last season or in the Leicester and Walsall games.

As I said, I reckon that's the kind of system we're going for, and it suits most of the players at his disposal. Importantly, it has the potential to get the best out of Bannan whilst also taking the pressure off him to be our only creative outlet if we can get Brown or Windass pulling the strings further up the pitch.

Unfortunately for Reach, he doesn't easily suit that system, but that happens in football.

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

True, but then Monk's not said he is.

This thread is bonkers.

:duntmatter:

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has spoken about a chat he's had with Adam Reach where they discussed where his best position was, and both came to the conclusion that centre forward was the answer

So if hes not  a centre forward and this apparently is where he will be most effective, their words, not mine, then what is he?