Garry Monk and Adam Reach both agree he's a striker now

15 minutes ago, Minton said:

More evidence of Monk shoehorning players into positions they aren't suited for to fit his desired formation, rather than play with a formation that suits what he has available. 

You can't even argue that it's the players he hasn't brought in that are the problem anymore; Signs central midfielder Izzy Brown and where doe he make his debut? As a striker. The mind boggles.

Square pegs, round holes, more of the same calamitous form beckons under him I'm afraid.

If he is going to play Brown as a No10 then go out and sign James Collin from Luton, he is in the last year of his contract played with Brown last season and scores goals he got another 3 at the Week end in former Premier League team Norwich. Luton are in a financial mess and I don't think it will take anything like £1m to get him and is wages will be a lot less than most in the league.

• Like 1

Just now, RUMBELOWS91 said:

So Monk thinks Reach is a striker.

That decision in isolation is enough reason to seriously question his judgement.

But where does he say he is a striker !! Playing further forward centrally is what I read, dont get me wrong I struggle to see him as a footballer lot of the time.

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Correct - Can they both move on ??

haha never miss a trick eh..

I just see this as Monk’s way of marginalising the player. Maybe he’s told Reach we’re going with Harris & Penney down the left, Palmer & Odubajo down the right, and brought in Brown & FDB through the middle. The only way he may get a game is second-striker, but oops sorry we’ve just signed Windass & Kachunga. Reach should be asking for a move, and I can’t believe we’re willing to run down the contract of another valuable player and let him walk. Trade him.

I don’t know what’s happened to Reach, I’ve never know a player go from quality to bang average so quickly 

I thought it was just a confidence thing and he’d come back again, but he just seems like a completely different player that is league 1 at best!!!

He needs a fresh challenge 

23 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Because we have a Frankenstein's monster of a squad, put together with no forethought or planning as to what formation, tactics or style of play we were going to use from one transfer window to the next.

What gets the best out of Iorfa doesn't get the best out of Palmer. What gets the best out of Reach doesn't get the best out of Bannan etc...

There's no system which suits all our players, I'm afraid.

Monk simply has to try to find a system that gets the best out of the players he believes can make a difference on a consistent basis and try to get what he can out of those players who it doesn't entirely suit until the club are able to move them on.

Get me 1 striker and I can put out a competitive team with what we have.

Westwood in goal (Wildsmith if he is not fit)

Palmer, Borner, Iorfa, Odabajo

Reach, Luongo, Brown, Kachunga

Windass

A N Other (J Collins)

We have the players to play a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-3-3- when attacking. We don't have wing backs at the club that can both defend and attack, Bannan cannot play in a midfield 2 but all the other midfielders can, so simple don't play him until he learns, Windass, Brown, Luongo all have a goal threat but from midfield playing up front the talent is wasted. Reach and Kachunga can cross a lot better than Harris and Odabajo and they will provide the opportunities for with the crosses but also getting on the end of some of each others crosses and chipping in with goals and we need a striker who can hold the ball up and is mobile enough to get in behind the back line when needed for me Collins is that man.

And the elephant in the room (not outside the ground) Westwood is still the best keeper we have, he is not the keeper of 2 season ago but he is still the best option we have and will win us more points than he loses, but its the confidence he brings to the player in front of him that is regularly forgotten.

Look this is my team with what we have. But while Monk remains I can unfortunately only see the club falling further.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

He's making a bloody mess out of doing so. We have barely any players suited to the system he believes is best. There may be no system which suits all our players but if it suits 8 out of the 11 surely that's better than a system that suits half that number???

Dawson

Iorfa     Börner     Dunkley   

Odubajo     Luongo     Bannan     Penney

Brown

Kachunga     Rhodes

I reckon that system has the potential to bring the best out of most of our likely starters. 

3 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

wheres the monk brigade..they seem to be keeping outa this thread🥴

I’m all for Monk and his new team and giving them a chance this season.

I can half see Reach playing behind a main striker in a free role in a 3-5-1-1 which is hopefully what he means, bit like Hooper.

I’m very worried about the main striker bit more than anything because if he means Reach in that position we are trulyfucked.

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

haha never miss a trick eh..

I just see this as Monk’s way of marginalising the player. Maybe he’s told Reach we’re going with Harris & Penney down the left, Palmer & Odubajo down the right, and brought in Brown & FDB through the middle. The only way he may get a game is second-striker, but oops sorry we’ve just signed Windass & Kachunga. Reach should be asking for a move, and I can’t believe we’re willing to run down the contract of another valuable player and let him walk. Trade him.

I never miss a chance to appeal Monk out, unfortunately i get bloody loads of them haha

I have to agree with you, and this is my problem as how the club is run there is no long term plans. We should never be losing players for nothing we should be getting money back its just business sense. As a lot did i think we should have sold Reach when his stock was high, but we didnt and now its pretty low in a bad market. However, we have to try and get something for him, we cant be losing 5 million as we cant fit him in our formation.

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

🤣

I think Brown will give us more goals and more creation. Bannan bud Fletcher is gone so that long ball up front with no recognised striker is no longer an option and he is in the last year of his contract, he could be gone next season, where as Brown could be signed from Chelsea when his deal finishes there next season.