Garry Monk and Adam Reach both agree he's a striker now

Been discussing this exact issue with Neil in a different thread and only just noticed he's started a whole thread on the same topic!

:duntmatter:

As I've said elsewhere: to me, that sounds like Monk and Reach both recognise that he's not a natural fit out wide in the system we're likely to be using from the start of most games this season. 

Therefore, unless we sell him - and let's face it, his value is rock-bottom right now - then we need to find a position for him. He's not a natural central attacking midfielder either, but I can see the logic in playing him further up the pitch where he might at least be able to play to his strengths a bit more than at wingback where his defensive frailties will be more exposed. 

It sounds as if Monk and Reach are both aware that he's a winger, but seeing as we're not going to be using wingers too often, we need to try something else with him.

Unless he finds some form, I doubt he'll be used on a regular basis, but we're going to need every player in our squad at some point during the season. If that means Reach makes the odd appearance as an attacking midfielder, then fair enough. 

Post lockdown, Reach featured for 191 out of a possible 810 minutes.

3 times he was subbed on as an attacking midfielder; once he started as an attacking midfielder; twice he was subbed on at left wingback; and once he started at left wingback.

Unless another club makes us an offer for Reach, then he's a Wednesday player; we're going to have to use him at some point. Given that he's got one year left on his contract, is reportedly on around £20k per week, and has just had the worst season of his career, we'd do well to find any takers.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1

Several years of financial incompetence is now coming home to roost.  

We can't just go out and spend £15m on a few strikers because we want to.  This is the place we are in now, because of mistake after mistake yesterday.

• Like 2

I don't want Reach as a striker, but if he is to be played there lets give him some consistency and stop moving him around the pitch.    Give him, like you would wish for ANY striker a good run of games and not drop them after a couple of games without a goal.

He gets a lot of abuse right now for not hitting form, but how can he attain any kind of form when his remit is different almost every game?

Edited by HarryPlopper

34 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

he is trying to send a message to chansiri

This is what I thought may be the case with the Walsall game. 

This is a perfect storm of a story for the fans: 

A player that doesn’t fit in lately being used as a striker, after being used in the past as a LB, LWB, LM, CM and RM by a manager that the jury is still out on* because we have one (?) other forward at the club 

*🤷🏼‍♂️

1 minute ago, HarryPlopper said:

I don't want Reach as a striker, but if he is to be played there lets give him some consistency and stop moving him around the pitch.

He gets a lot of abuse right now for not hitting form, but how can he attain any kind of form when his remit is different almost every game?

You’re bang right but that makes the decision all the more confusing.

It seems the decision is set in stone before he’s even been tried there. It’s not like declaring Palmer is now a centre back in the 3, because he has had games there. Reach has never played in a front two from the start for us as far as I’m aware.

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

You’re bang right but that makes the decision all the more confusing.

It seems the decision is set in stone before he’s even been tried there. It’s not like declaring Palmer is now a centre back in the 3, because he has had games there. Reach has never played in a front two from the start for us as far as I’m aware.

Many confusing things on show on the pitch right now.

I hope he's getting some extra coaching too.    He pulls far too wide too often right now, and that was against a 4th tier side.     He needs drilling, lets hope he gets some serious one on one time with Beattie.

22 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Been discussing this exact issue with Neil in a different thread and only just noticed he's started a whole thread on the same topic!

:duntmatter:

As I've said elsewhere: to me, that sounds like Monk and Reach both recognise that he's not a natural fit out wide in the system we're likely to be using from the start of most games this season. 

Therefore, unless we sell him - and let's face it, his value is rock-bottom right now - then we need to find a position for him. He's not a natural central attacking midfielder either, but I can see the logic in playing him further up the pitch where he might at least be able to play to his strengths a bit more than at wingback where his defensive frailties will be more exposed. 

It sounds as if Monk and Reach are both aware that he's a winger, but seeing as we're not going to be using wingers too often, we need to try something else with him.

Unless he finds some form, I doubt he'll be used on a regular basis, but we're going to need every player in our squad at some point during the season. If that means Reach makes the odd appearance as an attacking midfielder, then fair enough. 

Post lockdown, Reach featured for 191 out of a possible 810 minutes.

3 times he was subbed on as an attacking midfielder; once he started as an attacking midfielder; twice he was subbed on at left wingback; and once he started at left wingback.

Unless another club makes us an offer for Reach, then he's a Wednesday player; we're going to have to use him at some point. Given that he's got one year left on his contract, is reportedly on around £20k per week, and has just had the worst season of his career, we'd do well to find any takers.

Why not use a system that suits our players then????