Clubs that fell off a cliff.

On 31/08/2020 at 21:41, owl_83 said:

Rushden & Diamonds are one. Can remember going to Nene Park watching Swfc play them in a league game. The club was dissolved in 2011 and Nene Park has been demolished. AFC Rushden & Diamonds now play in the Southern League. 

I always think the 0-0 draw with them at Hillsborough was our lowest ebb. 0-0 at home to a village team on the same level as us. it can't get worse than that, can it ?

• Like 2

On 28/08/2020 at 14:32, markg said:

Deportivo La Coruna seem to have dropped a fair way. Used to play in Europe regularly. 

I used to follow them, I liked watching La Liga in the 90s and early 2000s whilst it was still competitive. For a while it was good to watch as Serie A and the top flight over here. Around that time, Super Depor were one of the best footballing sides in Europe to watch.

Our decline as been depressing, yet I've seen a similar thing happen to Deportivo, my favourite overseas team and my hometown club Newport County rose from the ashes too after going bankrupt and being reformed. Makes me feel like a jinx or something. :duntmatter::ghoulguy:

• Like 1

Parma - kind of. Players like Crespo, Cannavaro, Buffon and Thuram, Coppa Italia winners, UEFA Cup winners, to the well-publicised off-the-field issues and having to be reformed - twice!

Back in Serie A now though, but what a ride.

1 hour ago, Gargoyle said:

I went to a match there last season, friendly natives and a lovely pint of Toby Light in their supporters club. But the ground doesn't look as though its been painted since they lost their league status, and they were playing early 70s music at half time so presumably they've still got the same 7" singles and gramophone player😄

back in the late 60s both Barrow and Workinton were league clubs with a very bitter rivalry

On 28/08/2020 at 18:31, neo hippy said:

One of my best mates is a Stockport fan and he always says there was a time 15 to 20 years back they were better than man City 

there were an awful lot of drugs around in the manchester area 20 years ago.....clearly🤪

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

I never did get that Dukla Prague away kit for Christmas !

I was there last year.tried to buy a Dukla shirt for my son, the expression on the sports shop assistants face, you would have thought i had asked for a Jimmy Savill toy doll - apparently as a military club they weren't popular with the locals

Don't know if they've been mentioned or if anyone else remembers but Hornchurch were able to attract some decent players when they were in the conference and at one point were tipped to do a Salford and climb the football ladder. Not sure what happened to them