Clubs that fell off a cliff.

On 28/08/2020 at 14:20, Putney said:

Anzhi Makhachkala

Sugar daddy owner pulled the plug after potash industry crashed and his health deteriorated. Now in the Russian third tier.

FC Dnipro (Dnipropetrovsk)

Europa League finalists five years ago, now am amateur club and the fans have their own phoenix club. A very messed up situation with their owner a huge Ukrainian oligarch.

Metalist Kharkiv

Europa League knockout regulars. Went down the pan after they were banned for match fixing, then their owner fled Ukraine after war started. Think they don't exist in any capacity now. They were a very good footballing side, and like their big rivals Dnipro, had a number of well known names play for them.

Really?

Didn't know that about Kharkiv

Went to see 'em in 09. Beat Chernobets or someone 1-0 with a 93 minute 40 yarder. Brazilian lad got it

Still, the whole place is corrupt so shouldn't come as a surprise

Here's a pic of the souvenir ball I was given (obvs, not to scale for Subbuteo :biggrin: )

I also have a Metallist ball cap, not shown

20200829_213755_resized.jpg

• Like 2

I know it’s a lifetime ago, but Northampton Town in the 60s. They started and ended the decade in Division 4, but had risen to Division 1 and all the way back down again during that time.

I bet Cobblerstalk had a real meltdown that by the end of the swinging 60s...

4 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I know it’s a lifetime ago, but Northampton Town in the 60s. They started and ended the decade in Division 4, but had risen to Division 1 and all the way back down again during that time.

I bet Cobblerstalk had a real meltdown that by the end of the swinging 60s...

Didn't Huddersfield do something similar.  Either promoted or relegated the whole way in consecutive seasons, then went virtually straight back.

Just not bothered...

On 29/08/2020 at 21:48, edmontonowl said:

Really?

Didn't know that about Kharkiv

Went to see 'em in 09. Beat Chernobets or someone 1-0 with a 93 minute 40 yarder. Brazilian lad got it

Still, the whole place is corrupt so shouldn't come as a surprise

Here's a pic of the souvenir ball I was given (obvs, not to scale for Subbuteo :biggrin: )

I also have a Metallist ball cap, not shown

20200829_213755_resized.jpg

Thought that was a scale model of Cakeball on the Hillsborough pitch!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl_83 said:

Rushden & Diamonds are one. Can remember going to Nene Park watching Swfc play them in a league game. The club was dissolved in 2011 and Nene Park has been demolished. AFC Rushden & Diamonds now play in the Southern League. 

They also had a great academy set-up - decent training ground and facilities

I also remember walking out of Kenilworth Rd in those dark days after losing 3-2 and hearing that R&D had lost so we couldn't be relegated from league 1

Almost as low as it ever got for us - relying on a team that was in its death throes losing in order that we didn't get relegated to the bottom tier of professional football

• Like 1

On 29/08/2020 at 23:33, scram said:

Kinnear fell ill at Hillsborough if i remember rightly

We did have a decent medical set up at the time and he said if he'd have gotten ill anywhere else he'd likely have died

But back to Wimbledon

We ALL detested the old Wimbledon and the "crazy gang" rubbish - but even so i don't think we wanted them to fall to the fates that beset them

I'm one of very few who hate their romanticised story - it was nothing against the club however the whole thing was nothing but a set up to use a club to maximise income - almost Chelsea but without the philanthropist to just chuck money at them

They flirted with the idea of relocating to Dublin - and a PL club in Dublin would be HUGE

It was rejected so they scouted the best area in England that was far enough away from serious competition but still had a sizeable conurbation to draw many fans - and in time Wimbledon would be forgotten and the new club would shake off the old clothing and present itself as the fresh new representation in football of a new area

Exactly what happened...

In hindsight, Winkleman could've bought the local Milton Keynes amateur club and turned them into a league 1 side by now. He would've been lauded as a hero and could've been cheaper

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ShaunO1 said:

In hindsight, Winkleman could've bought the local Milton Keynes amateur club and turned them into a league 1 side by now. He would've been lauded as a hero and could've been cheaper

Might have built up a stronger and bigger fan base doing that as well. 

• Like 1

There’s quite a few previously established league clubs that are now playing in the sixth tier (or lower). York and Stockport being a couple.

Coventry until very recently were the most miserable team to support, as they went on the most drawn out decline since winning the FA cup in 1987 which ended up with them in the third tier. Since they’ve had a couple of promotions and a Checkatrade/JPT.

Either us or Sunderland would probably rival them now.

That's not quite right 

They got to the Prem in 07-08 , talk about a shooting star.

It's even better they were only elected  to the Scottish league in 2002.

Gretna won the Division Three, Division Two and Division One titles in successive seasons from 2005 to 2007. During their seasons of successive promotions they scored 297 goals, 130 in the 2004–05 season alone.

Sugar daddy ran out of money and it was curtains

22 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

The difference being that Notts is short for Nottinghamshire, which is the point of County’s name but not Forest’s. Both Sheffield clubs have Sheffield in their name.

Notts are notts county, same as they're not Nottingham forest, so it's the same really. 

On 02/09/2020 at 11:03, punkskaphil said:

The difference being that Notts is short for Nottinghamshire, which is the point of County’s name but not Forest’s. Both Sheffield clubs have Sheffield in their name.

Never understood why they are called Stockport County though. There isn’t a Stockportshire is there? Same with Newport. Someone on here will know.