Clubs that fell off a cliff.

Stoke City

Few seasons ago they were bothering the European places in the Premiership and getting to domestic finals, signing Michael Owen, Bojan,  Affaly etc.

Last season they were circling the plug hole to league one. Might be the same this year.

Couldn't happen to a nicer team. 

On 31/08/2020 at 21:41, owl_83 said:

Rushden & Diamonds are one. Can remember going to Nene Park watching Swfc play them in a league game. The club was dissolved in 2011 and Nene Park has been demolished. AFC Rushden & Diamonds now play in the Southern League. 

Am I right in saying their ground was in a little town called Irthlingborough.....................i drove through it a few months ago and it seemed about the same size as Dronfield !

What happened to Scarborough ?.....did they go bust and start again ?

3 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Am I right in saying their ground was in a little town called Irthlingborough.....................i drove through it a few months ago and it seemed about the same size as Dronfield !

What happened to Scarborough ?.....did they go bust and start again ?

Regarding Rushden, yeah it was quite a tidy looking little ground,  drove past it years ago when I was working down there for a couple of month's.

Scarborough FC were wound up. The old McCain Stadiums been demolished and houses have been built there now. They then set up a phoenix team Scarborough Athletic, they were playing in Bridlington at the start whilst they sorted a new ground out, eventually they got one built near the town centre, its a nice little ground, not big capacity wise but all modern facilities. My cousins husband is club captain there.

York City used to be a solid lower league outfit and now in National League North with clubs like Farsley Celtic and Leamigton Spa.
In fact looking at that League they are a few ex league sides in it like Boston United, Kidderminster Harriers, Chester, Hereford and Darlington.
I can remember all of those being League Clubs although I guess some have had to reform.