Clubs that fell off a cliff.

FK Obilic

Were a nothing team until they were taken over by Zeljko Raznatovic (Arkan of Arkan Tigers infamy), became champions of Yugoslavia and competed in Champions League losing to eventual runners up Bayern Munich.

After Arkan's death his wife took over but the decline set in and after several relegations they are back to obscurity.

A number of Eastern European clubs have followed a similar path. Take Unirea Urziceni, from Romania, once managed by Dan Petrescu. They had the best record of any 3rd-place team in the group stages of the 2009/10 Champions League, beating Sevilla at home (or, rather, in Bucharest), and thrashing Rangers 4-1 away. But almost immediately financial problems took hold, and the club was dissolved in 2011. An attempt to reform it in 2015 led nowhere, and the club was wound up again in 2017. Or, perhaps even more dramatically, Ukraine's FC Dnipro. Back in the '80s, they won the Soviet league a couple of times, but more recently, remember the 2015 Europa League final? You don't, do you? You can probably guess the winners - Sevilla - but Dnipro were the runners-up. And that was as good as it got for them. Financial problems followed, as did a 3-season ban from Europe for violating FFP. Down the divisions they plummeted, until in 2018/19 they were in the amateur league. And in 2019/20 they even withdrew from that.

8 hours ago, axolotl said:

I'd throw Celtic in too. Obviously dominant domestically but their European pedigree has dropped massively. I may be wrong, but I am sure they used to regularly be in the latter stages/quarter finals?

Celtic have made the last 16 a few times in the new format but they’ve only made the QF/latter stages of a European competition in recent history in the UEFA Cup when they lost the final to Porto. They have dropped away in European competition true but that’s because they cannot compete revenue wise with the top clubs. They’ve won the last 11 trophies available domestically and they’re going for 10 league titles in a row this season so it’s not all bad.

If you’re going to pick any Glasgow clubs IMO it should be the other two.

Partick Thistle are playing next season in League 1 after being expelled from their league last season alongside Hearts. Unable to finish the Championship campaign and punished by the SPFL following a sham vote they are now playing amongst a league of part time teams having only a few years ago been top 6 in the Premier League. A great wee club who are now really struggling on and off the pitch. Their super rich Euromillion winning Director also died recently.

Rangers have gone from the most successful team in Scotland to complete nonentities. Struggling again financially and once again spending way beyond their means under Gerrard, they were liquidated less than a decade ago, their club died, a new Rangers company was formed, and since then they haven’t won a single major trophy since the club was reformed.

Since the last time the Old Rangers won a trophy the following teams have all won major honours in Scotland more recently:

Celtic

Aberdeen

Hearts

Hibs

St Johnstone 

St Mirren

Inverness

Kilmarnock

Ross County 

Edited by edinburghowl
  • Thanks 1

Tbf, we have teetered on the brink one too many times and I'd suggest the current situation isn't far off that. We have been afforded a stay of execution with the minus 12 thing, because I dread to think what would have happened had we been relegated to League One. 

Unfortunately, some clubs (and we are one of them) have to pretty much bottom out before they can kickstart again. 

There are a number of instances of teams plummeting through the divisions and then having some sort of resurgence. I just hope we can work our way through this current situation and come out of it stronger. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, we have teetered on the brink one too many times and I'd suggest the current situation isn't far off that. We have been afforded a stay of execution with the minus 12 thing, because I dread to think what would have happened had we been relegated to League One. 

Unfortunately, some clubs (and we are one of them) have to pretty much bottom out before they can kickstart again. 

There are a number of instances of teams plummeting through the divisions and then having some sort of resurgence. I just hope we can work our way through this current situation and come out of it stronger. 

I’d say out of the ‘traditional big clubs’ only Forest have had it as bad as us in recent history 

We’ve basically sat and watched whilst pretty much every other club around our size has had some form of success compared to our naff all since the late 90’s

41 clubs out of the 92 have been in the prem since we were last there

Edited by Django
  • Like 2

Wimbledon

They were a real horrible team to face in the divisions under Bassett and Kinnear. Then came their excellent season under Kinnear and got to the semi finals of the FA Cup (think they finished just outside the European places).

Signed Hartson from West Ham to try and create the final piece of the puzzle.

Then Kinnear experienced the heart attack and it all went downhill from there (as well as the ground and finances)

Thankfully they're back in the lower leagues but have recently struggled in league one. Aren't they moving back to Wimbledon soon?

Edited by katie melua

Kinnear fell ill at Hillsborough if i remember rightly

We did have a decent medical set up at the time and he said if he'd have gotten ill anywhere else he'd likely have died

But back to Wimbledon

We ALL detested the old Wimbledon and the "crazy gang" rubbish - but even so i don't think we wanted them to fall to the fates that beset them

I'm one of very few who hate their romanticised story - it was nothing against the club however the whole thing was nothing but a set up to use a club to maximise income - almost Chelsea but without the philanthropist to just chuck money at them

They flirted with the idea of relocating to Dublin - and a PL club in Dublin would be HUGE

It was rejected so they scouted the best area in England that was far enough away from serious competition but still had a sizeable conurbation to draw many fans - and in time Wimbledon would be forgotten and the new club would shake off the old clothing and present itself as the fresh new representation in football of a new area

Exactly what happened...