Jacob Murphy

Ended up with 9 goals, playing in a struggling team. With a fresh start, better players around him and more confidence, he could return 15 goals, which is what we need if were not going for the traditional out-an-out 20 goal/season striker(s).

• Like 1

Playing with wing backs you have to have a def mid player that knows the role well? Hutch did this very well ( not going down that conversation) but need a player like him? Pelepoop defo not the answer maybe van aken could be tried there( just a suggestion) but to make that system work needs a player with the dicipline not to go walk about! The three cb also have to be the same the amount of times Palmer iorfa and borner went charging up the pitch last few games was alarming? If the four players in that position do there jobs correctly Murphy and the like can do what he did last season 

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Final year of his contract...sending him out on loan is effectively a free transfer.

$$$$$ will win this one

I can’t see that if I’m honest. Newcastle will want him off their books because he’ll be an unusable resource to them - I doubt that he’ll be selected for their pool of senior players, therefore, his wages will be dead money plus they don’t have to retain him as a playing asset in relation to FFP.  I think that the sticking point will be his wages as it very much appears that we are trying to implement a new wage structure. 

Guest Bulgaria

With Murphy in the starting eleven I always thought we offered a threat.

Without him, I didn't.

I would be delighted if he returned.

35 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I can’t see that if I’m honest. Newcastle will want him off their books because he’ll be an unusable resource to them - I doubt that he’ll be selected for their pool of senior players, therefore, his wages will be dead money plus they don’t have to retain him as a playing asset in relation to FFP.  I think that the sticking point will be his wages as it very much appears that we are trying to implement a new wage structure. 

...in which case then they would just sell him surely

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

...in which case then they would just sell him surely

Yes or release him on a free transfer. I can’t see him going for a hefty fee or a bidding war starting for him as he is in the last year of his contract. Championship clubs appear more savvy now and will wait for players in the last year of their contracts if needed. 

Just now, shandypants said:

Yes or release him on a free transfer. I can’t see him going for a hefty fee or a bidding war starting for him as he is in the last year of his contract. Championship clubs appear more savvy now and will wait for players in the last year of their contracts if needed. 

Correct...no fee but a big-ish wage which may be a problem for us.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lombado said:

Correct...no fee but a big-ish wage which may be a problem for us.

Exactly. I think Murphy will have to take a significant drop in pay to join us if he is currently on a hefty wedge at Newcastle. I really can’t see us paying top dollar wages for a while if I’m honest.  

58 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Do we believe a word Bruce says?

Not in the slightest

He's failed to commit immediately at every dealing he has had with us. He's held the club to ransom when his only commitment was to his beloved Newcastle, and himself! He's a man who needs his ego polishing at every opportunity, but yet to many Owls fans he's a god.

Start, if we have not already done so, looking at players who are definitely available.

6 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Not in the slightest

He's failed to commit immediately at every dealing he has had with us. He's held the club to ransom when his only commitment was to his beloved Newcastle, and himself! He's a man who needs his ego polishing at every opportunity, but yet to many Owls fans he's a god.

Start, if we have not already done so, looking at players who are definitely available.

Agree completely I certainly wouldn’t be hanging on a promise from Steve Bruce.

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Can see a loan until Christmas. We will give him loads of game time, he will stand out and they will flog him in January to a team pushing for promotion. 

Permanently signing for us in January then. Oops, sorry, too positive for Owlstalk!!!!.

54 minutes ago, shandypants said:

He’s a multimillion pound asset, why would they give him a free. 

It would be fabulous to have him back. Ticks every box.

Can he play WB? Lord yes - 4 goals and 4 assists in those last eight games in our 352.

Fitness? Fit as a flea! Played almost every game. 

You get the impression he’s a confidence player. Lost his way a bit towards Christmas but became unplayable thereafter. Can run thru a midfield and has high quality end-product. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

We might just take him on loan till January with an option to buy at a pre-determined price should it be working out for us/him at S6. If we didn't take up the option to buy Newcastle would be free to try and sell him in the transfer window. Wages would be the biggest obstacle I imagine.