Westwood

7 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yes really. Show us the 'highlights of the Swansea game for example. I know what I saw before he was dropped quite rightly. He then declared himself injured when being required to take a spell on the bench and consequently there is no evidence of a return to form.

The  half dozen games immediately before and similar number after his dropping are worth looking at.

I did agree on a previous thread when analysing the goals he conceded that the only ones he could really be blamed for out of the 9 he conceded in 9 games were the 2 v Swansea when coming for corners.

But in that game he also made some fantastic saves as he did in other games. Blackburn away and Leeds home are just 2 that spring to mind.

Yes he was probably not at the level he was when 

voted in the Championship team of the season and winning our own player off the season awards, but he's still thw best keeper we have.

It's just ridiculous that his detractors on here keep stating that  he was garbage and dropped loads of clangers, when he concede only 9 goals in 9 games under Monk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Maybe the new goalie coach will realise that and request a new keeper. 

Maybe he'll get a tune out of one of them or both.

At least give the bloke chance to evaluate what he's got at his disposal before we throw the baby out with the dishwater.

Think we have seen enough to know that both lack the consistency that we need. We are not in a position that we can let are keeper literally let points slip through his hands.

17 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Still our best keeper. It’s an awful situation because our other two keepers are crap. I agree we probably have to move Westwood on but I can’t face another season watching Wonky Wildsmith or Calamity Cam in goal. Both a total liability!

Hopefully with the "old boys club" leaving including the loadstone around their necks  "fans darling Westwood" fingers crossed can find a new club.

The new goalkeeping coach coming in they work on their faults and start to kick on again as both have been stagnating from being really highly rated.

For me both need to put a bit of muscle on and gain a bit of attitude and Aggression. 

A keeper has the best view of what's happening, so needs to boss and organise defenders, neither do this well. 

14 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Think we have seen enough to know that both lack the consistency that we need. We are not in a position that we can let are keeper literally let points slip through his hands.

I'm not sure it's quite as clear cut as that.

When you are in a side playing with no confidence on a downward slide it stands to reason a goalkeeper will be under far more pressure facing far more shots on target and one is more likely to go in.

My theory being regardless of who was in goal we'd have seen many goals going in with such disfunction in front of them.

Do we have a resident stato who can crunch the numbers of shots on target per game to goals for each keeper over the last few seasons.

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm struggling to believe that anyone seriously thinks judging goalkeepers is no more complicated than average goals conceded per game or that if Westwood had been restored to the lineup last season that the flood of goals would have abruptly dried up. 

The last I looked it was one of the primary roles of a goalkeeper to not concede to many goals but maybe they do a different job for you. :duntmatter:

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The last I looked it was one of the primary roles of a goalkeeper to not concede to many goals but maybe they do a different job for you. :duntmatter:

So if Liverpool's goalkeeper had gone to Norwich last season, that would have been enough all by itself to make them one of the best defensive teams in Europe?

Bit more complicated in the real world. 

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

That's true but the primary roles of defenders are to defend.....................we often didn't do very well in that department lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

So if Liverpool's goalkeeper had gone to Norwich last season, that would have been enough all by itself to make them one of the best defensive teams in Europe?

Bit more complicated in the real world. 

Yes you need a solid defence but some of the howlers that Dawson and Wildsmith let in you could have stopped.

There is no denying though when we had Westwood in the team at the start of the season we were more solid, the players in front of him had more confidence that when Dawson and Wildsmith were in goal.

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
7 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Harsh, maybe.

The truth is they aren't kids anymore and when given the chance we have seen flashes of quality but we have seen costly mistakes.

They aren't good enough to be our long term number 1 and a good keeper is required in my honest opinion.

The club seem to think they are good enough or they would have got rid of them.

2 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I did agree on a previous thread when analysing the goals he conceded that the only ones he could really be blamed for out of the 9 he conceded in 9 games were the 2 v Swansea when coming for corners.

But in that game he also made some fantastic saves as he did in other games. Blackburn away and Leeds home are just 2 that spring to mind.

Yes he was probably not at the level he was when 

voted in the Championship team of the season and winning our own player off the season awards, but he's still thw best keeper we have.

It's just ridiculous that his detractors on here keep stating that  he was garbage and dropped loads of clangers, when he concede only 9 goals in 9 games under Monk.

You must be 🎣🎣

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Hopefully with the "old boys club" leaving including the loadstone around their necks  "fans darling Westwood" fingers crossed can find a new club.

The new goalkeeping coach coming in they work on their faults and start to kick on again as both have been stagnating from being really highly rated.

For me both need to put a bit of muscle on and gain a bit of attitude and Aggression. 

A keeper has the best view of what's happening, so needs to boss and organise defenders, neither do this well. 

Whatever mate. Westwood needs to leave. On that I agree. Monk has ruined him and he’s costing us far to much just to sit at home. It just wee wees me off that I have to watch two crap keepers play instead of him. We still need a new number one.

3 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Whatever mate. Westwood needs to leave. On that I agree. Monk has ruined him and he’s costing us far to much just to sit at home. It just wee wees me off that I have to watch two crap keepers play instead of him. We still need a new number one.

How has Monk ruined Westwood? 

Not sure Monk wanted him to make mistakes and get injured repeatedly in the warm up before games.

• Like 2