Westwood

21 minutes ago, LoadABallacks said:

This. 

my take, based on nothing May I add, other than what you see and the snippets you pick up is that he’s cut from a cloth of player that likes winning and doesn’t take well to losing. When things aren’t going well and he doesn’t like what he sees, he isn’t afraid to call out players and be vocal. 

Managers like Monk can’t cope with that type of player with a more old school mentality and simply wants yes men. as a result we end up totally spineless with a culture where losing is acceptable as we saw in the second half of last season. 

Just  another meaningless dig at the Manager.......

9 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

There was a salary list published not so long ago. Don't know how accurate it is but I seem to remember Westwood and rhodes were the top earners on a salary or 1.56m per annum.

In context wildsmith was on 200k ish and Dawson on about 80k (but since signed a new deal)

Westwood's form has dipped and we need to get rid if we can, he clearly has no future he.

, having said that how the feck is Wildsmith and Dawson earning that money, they aren't good enough to be our long term no1 and I wouldn't pay them out in pennies.

Edited by Blue and white

3 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

It appears that way from what we read. So disappointing (and wrong) for such a quality keeper that he can have the mindset of refusing to be on the bench due to his pride, rather fake an injury. 

It's a mindset a club will cope with when he's the best in the Championship but he's not been the best for some time. His performances have steadily deteriorated over the past 3 years to the point that he absolutely deserved to be dropped.

Unfortunately his understudies weren't up to the task & whether it's due to fitness, attitude or stubbornness from both sides we'll probably never know why he wasn't brought back into the side.

What is clear is that we need a new No.1.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mogbad said:

It's a mindset a club will cope with when he's the best in the Championship but he's not been the best for some time. His performances have steadily deteriorated over the past 3 years to the point that he absolutely deserved to be dropped.

Unfortunately his understudies weren't up to the task & whether it's due to fitness, attitude or stubbornness from both sides we'll probably never know why he wasn't brought back into the side.

What is clear is that we need a new No.1.

Nailed it.

Darlow is going on a free and he'd be a cracking signing for us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

You know when Wildsmith and Dawson play you are going to concede at least one. 

When Westwood plays his clean sheet record is second to none

It is that simple. 

Not this season it wasn’t.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LoadABallacks said:

Managers like Monk can’t cope with that type of player with a more old school mentality and simply wants yes men. as a result we end up totally spineless with a culture where losing is acceptable as we saw in the second half of last season. 

I think you are way off. I get the totally opposite impression from Monk. He wants mentally strong fighters in the team. We have lacked that for several seasons.

One. I think Monk is old school. Likes discipline and will dislike disruptive figures.

Two. If Westwood is calling out players over the head of the manager as you say then all that does is undermine the manager

Three. If a player like that then cannot take criticism when he underperforms or steps out of line then it is unlikely he'll be in the managers plans.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

I don't get that... if the club is looking to offload a player that allegedly no longer features in their plans, wouldn't the best way to advertise and attract interest in him be to play him in games, include in squad and make them look as good as possible?

I really hate the way we have dealt with players falling out of favor, they've gone Full Metal Urby and are nowhere to be seen. Instead you get lots of bs gossip about this or that and poor atmosphere in the squad, no team togetherness, etc. and just the general impression they're all primadonnas lounging on a deck chair being served grapes like romans of old. And then you suddenly see an instagram post where the guy (back to Westwood now) suddenly is receiving thank you letters for being a really great guy to some kid who adores Wednesday, and you got to wonder, is he really such a bad character and why the fizz has he fallen out of favor?

Just absolutely poo player management by both club and manager in my eyes.

And the only way we're offloading them is after they've taken a lot of unnecessary wages from us every month until their contract expired and we've not utilised them one bit.

So because there was an Instagram post where a player has given away a shirt to a fan that means the player can and never has done any wrong and everything is the club and managers fault? 

Ive got some old t shirts at home, was going to throw them away but I might keep them now, good to know if ever I’m in trouble in the future I’ll just give one away and then everyone will think I’m a nice guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

When Westwood plays his clean sheet record is second to none. 

It is that simple. 

Think Monk got fed up with Westwood fitness record and pulling out of games 15 mins before kick off with a 'shoulder injury'

Didn't Martin O'Neill also not see eye to eye with Westwood when he kept pulling out of International games at the last minute?

• Like 2

Just now, Brad_owl said:

When Westwood plays his clean record is second to none. 

It is that simple. 

It really isn't.

Westwood's spells in goal have coincided with us having one of the best teams in the division and when he himself was at the top of his game. Neither of those are true anymore.

As I recall, before our post-Christmas collapse, Dawson had a slightly better record in terms of goals conceded in the few months before our post-Christmas collapse. It's a bit like suggesting that if Norwich and Liverpool swapped goalkeepers that their defensive records would be transformed in opposite directions overnight. There is way more at work than that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Lets be fair, he is probably the best free signing in the history of the club but his time has come and age appears to be catching up with him.

Sadly Dawson and Wildsmith aren't up to the job which leaves us needing a new keeper.

Yes he was a fantastic signing, for a period of time was the best in the championship but time had moved on and our fans need to as well. I agree we need a new number 1 but affording one whilst paying £1million a year for someone to watch cheadle doesn’t leave us with much room in the budget. 

KW, Lee, Lees are yesterday’s men, good in their time but aren’t what we need to move forwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Westwood's form has dipped and we need to get rid if we can, he clearly has no future he.

, having said that how the feck is Wildsmith and Dawson earning that money, they aren't good enough to be our long term no1 and I wouldn't pay them out in pennies.

That's a bit harsh. Dawson only made the step up from the U23s relatively recently when wildsmith had his injury and I'm sure his salary matches that of most players getting in and around first team setups.

Wildsmith has been number two for a long time now and is probably being paid a lot less than second keepers at other clubs.

Truth be told we needed a more experienced reserve keeper for a long time to push Westwood enabling us to push the other two on loan to build experience.

That's not happened and they've been thrown in at the worst time really.

If the framework has not been there to bring on the reserve keepers is that the players fault or the clubs?

Edited by OwlBiSeeinThi

1 minute ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

That's a bit harsh. Dawson only made the step up from the U23s relatively recently when wildsmith has his injury and I'm sure his salary matches that if most players getting in and around first team setups.

Wildsmith has been number two for a long time now and us probably being paid a lot less than second keepers at other clubs.

Truth be told we needed a more experienced reserve keeper for a long time to push Westwood enabling us to push the other two on loan to build experience.

If the framework has not been there to bring on the reserve keepers is that the players fault or the clubs?

Harsh, maybe.

The truth is they aren't kids anymore and when given the chance we have seen flashes of quality but we have seen costly mistakes.

They aren't good enough to be our long term number 1 and a good keeper is required in my honest opinion.

4 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

That's a bit harsh. Dawson only made the step up from the U23s relatively recently when wildsmith had his injury and I'm sure his salary matches that of most players getting in and around first team setups.

Wildsmith has been number two for a long time now and is probably being paid a lot less than second keepers at other clubs.

If the other 2 arent good enough put them up for sale, there not kids anymore. We can't bring in yet another keeper if we have 3 uninjured sat on the wage bill. If Westwood won't leave then Wildsmith or Dawson need to go to free up space for potential first choice.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

When Westwood plays his clean sheet record is second to none. 

It is that simple. 

Staggered that Wildsmith and Dawson have never kept a clean sheet, hold on just checked, apparently they have.

2 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Harsh, maybe.

The truth is they aren't kids anymore and when given the chance we have seen flashes of quality but we have seen costly mistakes.

They aren't good enough to be our long term number 1 and a good keeper is required in my honest opinion.

Probably true, but you were saying they aren't worth the money we are paying them. I am saying they are most likely on less than other keepers in similar positions and therefore, relatively cheap for us.

And yes, you get what you pay for.

I still suspect their development has been stifled due to Westwood taking all the focus and for me that is a dereliction of duty by the club.

Makes you wonder if that's why they brought in Paul Jones last year as a buffer to a large ego.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andytrig said:

Staggered that Wildsmith and Dawson have never kept a clean sheet, hold on just checked, apparently they have.

Doesn't make them good keepers, Wldsmith kept a clean sheet against Arsenal and he is shocking.

All keepers at some point will keep a clean sheet, even at Sunday league standard.