Westwood

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

How has Monk ruined Westwood? 

Not sure Monk wanted him to make mistakes and get injured repeatedly in the warm up before games.

How anyone can talk about mistakes is beyond me. Yes he made a few but nothing like the crap we were getting from Dawson and Wildsmith. Any decent coach would have left Westwood out for a few games than brought him back. He’s MILES better than the other two combined.

2 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

How anyone can talk about mistakes is beyond me. Yes he made a few but nothing like the crap we were getting from Dawson and Wildsmith. Any decent coach would have left Westwood out for a few games than brought him back. He’s MILES better than the other two combined.

Not when he suddenly gets injured in the warm up most weeks he is not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Even if that is the case, how has that ruined him?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Whatever mate. Westwood needs to leave. On that I agree. Monk has ruined him and he’s costing us far to much just to sit at home. It just wee wees me off that I have to watch two crap keepers play instead of him. We still need a new number one.

We can blame monk for our form since Christmas, but you can't say he's ruined Westwood, he was awful snd mistake ridden under bully and not up to his SG or Carlos days form under Bruce either. 

He was overpaid and over the hill when monk landed. 

I do hope now we can offload him and lift the shadow of Westwood hanging over both cam & Joe's heads and under the new coaching set up at least one of them will start to kick on. 

Must be disheartening and draining on confidence when Westwood makes a howler and gets love and excuses from your own fans, yet if you do your vilified. 

As you can tell, I'm not sentimental about players, if there past their sell by date or not performing consistantly get rid for me. 

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
32 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not when he suddenly gets injured in the warm up most weeks he is not.

According to Monk. Don’t believe him personally. Straight up question. You’d rather Wonky Wildsmith or Calamity Cam be number 1 instead of Westwood? If the answer is yes you know absolutely NOTHING about football! As I said, Westy is finished here so we need to bring in a new number 1.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

We can blame monk for our form since Christmas, but you can't say he's ruined Westwood, he was awful snd mistake ridden under bully and not up to his SG or Carlos days form under Bruce either. 

He was overpaid and over the hill when monk landed. 

I do hope now we can offload him and lift the shadow of Westwood hanging over both cam & Joe's heads and under the new coaching set up at least one of them will start to kick on. 

Must be disheartening and draining on confidence when Westwood makes a howler and gets love and excuses from your own fans, yet if you do your vilified. 

As you can tell, I'm not sentimental about players, if there past their sell by date or not performing consistantly get rid for me. 

They made far more mistakes than Westwood did this season. I remember two Westwood mistakes that resulted in goals. First against Swansea was a howler (second was a foul) and the first against Blackburn away was bad positioning. He still made multiple excellent saves every game. I can think of loads of mistakes from the other two. Wildsmith, for example, only made 10 appearances and was at fault for 3 off the top of my head. Man City, Boro and Fulham first. You are blind because they are both ‘one of our own.’ Both Wildsmith and Dawson are garbage!

3 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

According to Monk. Don’t believe him personally. Straight up question. You’d rather Wonky Wildsmith or Calamity Cam be number 1 instead of Westwood? If the answer is yes you know absolutely NOTHING about football! As I said, Westy is finished here so we need to bring in a new number 1.

Why do folks say "you know nothing about football"....? 

• Like 2

Just now, Kagoshimaowl said:

They made far more mistakes than Westwood did this season. I remember two Westwood mistakes that resulted in goals. First against Swansea was a howler (second was a foul) and the first against Blackburn away was bad positioning. He still made multiple excellent saves every game. I can think of loads of mistakes from the other two. Wildsmith, for example, only made 10 appearances and was at fault for 3 off the top of my head. Man City, Boro and Fulham first. You are blind because they are both ‘one of our own.’ Both Wildsmith and Dawson are garbage!

What about the penalties he gave away and the reading debacle.?? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

All our keepers have made basic mistakes. You will know that though . The thing with Westwood is he has been at a much higher level of consistency and for me the better of the 3 we have . The simple fact is we don’t have a number 1 keeper now Westwood is banished and  apparently passed it and blagging injury . 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

Penalty at West Brom was Palmer’s fault for starters. Am I missing another one this season?

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

What penalties?

Thw only one I can think of wast West Brom where Palmer went

AWOL and left him out to dry, their player played for the penalty and the ref fell for it.

Reading debacle

Was that the game we won 3-1?

Wish we had a few more debacles like that last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

What penalties?

Thw only one I can think of wast West Brom where Palmer went

AWOL and left him out to dry, their player played for the penalty and the ref fell for it.

Reading debacle

Was that the game we won 3-1?

Wish we had a few more debacles like that last season.

It's easy for his detractors to say he was woeful and leave it at that, listing the 'penalties' he conceded and points he cost us. Yes his form wasn't as good as in previous seasons and he made mistakes. You could watch every goal we conceded this season and pick faults somewhere but if you do that you will see far more basic goalkeeping errors from Dawson and Wildsmith than Westwood per game. 

As you say the penalty at West Brom would never have occurred had Palmer done his job properly. 

In a defence lacking in leadership, Westwood's experience would have helped, it is not purely coincidence that he didn't concede more than 2 goals in any game this season despite not being at his best.

His attitude has been called into question before when out of the side - if that is the case then make a proper stance - officially transfer list him, put him on the market and if he then turns offers down at least it makes the position clear and there would be less noise about wanting him back in the team. Leaving it as it has been for the last 8 months is almost as if we are hanging onto him in case the manager gets the boot and he gets a fresh start again under the next bloke. Absolutely no point in keeping one of the highest paid players at the club and clearly the highest paid keeper if there is no prospect of using him.

The lack of faith from the fan base in Dawson and Wildsmith is clear and justified based on performances, we need better.  

10 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Without re-entering the endlessly revolving debate I agree with this 100%.

I suspect we'll likely recruit another experienced keeper. I also suspect that we'll take the financial hit required to move Westwood on; possibly by negotiating a payoff. Maybe the coaching recruits will have cemented the reality that Monk is staying, that a possible recall has disappeared and precipitate a move.

Hope you are right on this as I agree with this approach. Unless Westwood is given another chance, which seems unlikely given he didn't get back in the squad after the 3-month break for COVID gave the manager the chance to reflect on things, then he needs to be moved on for clarity. 

As you say, the coaching appointments show Monk is here to stay unless things go terribly and so Westwood may be more likely to consider a move. If nobody offers what he wants then paying him off has to be an option to remove the uncertainty. 

10 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I do not know what has gone off with Monk and Westwood ,But if its Westwoods last season go out as an hero ,Not someone stealing a living .

It's strange, I'm not convinced by any conspiracies, but Westwood lost his place on merit. 

I'm not sure he's stealing a wage, Bruce gave him the contract. However, I do question if he's done enough to earn his place back. 

I don't recall him taking a place on the bench to support his teammates, but does seem to pick up  regular mystery injuries if not a starter. If he's half the player (still) that some suggest, surely well within his capabilities to win his place back. 

While I dont begrudge any player given a contract benefitting from it, says a lot that a player would be happy to sit and see out their career, than play games. Maybe also an insight into attitude and why he may not be considered for selection. 

IMO, a sad demise to a good career, going out on a low, but with  slightly bigger pension pot 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
55 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

The club seem to think the Dawson and Wildsmith are the better options going forward and so do I. I also think they know more about what’s going on, on a daily basis at the club. Westwood was, and I emphasise was a great keeper but he was making more and more mistakes and the mysterious shoulder injury kept cropping up.

He needs to go for his own sake and for the sake of Dawson and Wildsmith who are (unfairly) being constantly compared to Westwood and vilified when they make a mistake.

Fans need to move on from Westwood and give these 2 their backing, 

7 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

The second wasn’t a foul whatsoever, he had already flapped at the ball well before their player made contact. 

If you need any more examples of mistakes then look at the millwall and Fulham games.