BREAKING NEWS - Garry Monk brings in new staff and appoints new assistant manager

This is a positive move, even though I thought Monk should have lost his job. He now has a decent coaching staff around him who he can trust and despite our points deduction, this should make a huge difference to the calibre of players we attract. Beattie might even get Rhodes back on track! We should all get behind them now and let’s see how Monk performs with a proper coaching structure below him. I’m sure he’s feeling happy tonight. 

• Like 3

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We don't know for sure what Bullen and Weaver bring to the table but it is fairly obvious that the standard of goalkeeping has declined since Rhodes left. 

..and the keepers themselves aren't responsible for that? Are Man Utd & Chelsea fans calling for their goalkeeper coaches to be axed due to form of de Gea & Kepa?

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I long for the day when we can welcome new signings and staff with a 'WELCOME TO SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY!!' and nothing more

Simpler times when we could just be happy we got someone to come

It's fairly obvious I have little faith in Monk but I'm pleasantly surprised by the addition of Hughes given he has had coaching success elsewhere and a decent reputation in that sense. 

Beattie not so much, he doesn't have a track record of any great success and wasn't exactly sought after otherwise another club would have looked to pay off his gardening leave. He does at least bring some attacking nous to the coaching team which has been lacking though.

Flahavan, don't know much about him but I think the performance of all of our goalkeepers has dropped or certainly not improved since Rhodes left so it makes sense to freshen it up.

Be interesting to see what has happened to Bullen and Weaver but as Monk is staying this has to be seen as a positive step to help him.  

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That may well be the case, though apparently one of the sticking points was a reluctance on our part to pay any compensation for them, so Birmingham stuck them on gardening leave instead. 

I may be wrong here but wasn't Beattie on gardening leave before Monk came to us ?

11 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

..and the keepers themselves aren't responsible for that? Are Man Utd & Chelsea fans calling for their goalkeeper coaches to be axed due to form of de Gea & Kepa?

Maybe their goalkeeping coach hasn't changed and coincided with a drop in form of their keepers?

Of course the players are also responsible but its almost as if you are saying it doesn't matter who the coach is. Our coach has changed and all 3 goalkeepers haven't improved and if anything have got worse since, coincidence? 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I long for the day when we can welcome new signings and staff with a 'WELCOME TO SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY!!' and nothing more

Its that kind of attitude that got us Terry Yorath, Peter Shreeves and Alan Irvine  lol

• Haha 2

Guest wilyfox
8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe their goalkeeping coach hasn't changed and coincided with a drop in form of their keepers?

Of course the players are also responsible but its almost as if you are saying it doesn't matter who the coach is. Our coach has changed and all 3 goalkeepers haven't improved and if anything have got worse since, coincidence? 

I wouldn't say they're any worse for Rhodes leaving. Wildsmith & Dawson are where they are in terms of their development. Neither are the finished article, we know that. Westwood's case is mysterious, but he does pick up niggles and his form was dodgy before being dropped. Realistic to say, pushing 36 he's probably past his best anyway; hence his decline. 

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Owlstalk would be out of business

Bet you don't long for that day

Guest Smackavolley
19 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

I agree 100% .. however my eyes are really no that bad

Here you go fella ...

Time now for those moaning about Monk to get put your gripes to one side, get behind him, back him, and give it 100% support

WTF: