BREAKING NEWS - Garry Monk brings in new staff and appoints new assistant manager

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I long for the day when we can welcome new signings and staff with a 'WELCOME TO SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY!!' and nothing more

Simpler times when we could just be happy we got someone to come

Yeah, simpler times when we were truly happy... Reminds me of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

In my day we had jumpers for goal posts and a sloping pitch.
LUXURY! Our pitch had a big hole in it!
Well, when I say "pitch", I only mean a patch of grass in front of our house.

YOU WERE LUCKY TO HAVE A PATCH OF GRASS! We had a handful of sand, which when stood on you'd sink in and suffocate to death!
Oh, those were the days, when were happy!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

I was having a while off Owlstalk but have just signed back in again just to congratulate you on this post.

Most people just throw unfounded opinions around to justify their negative views (although the majority on this thread seem fairly up beat about the appointments thank God).

Well researched, factual & very informative.

I was of the 'not 100% convinced' fraternity, but would be delighted to be proved wrong & your excellent post gives context to his previous achievements under mainly difficult circumstances which has helped bolster my previously 'wavering belief'.

Thanks.

Cheers for that!

I'm not sure anyone can be 100% convinced based on what we've seen so far, but as with all things, context is important.

Just thought we should try to add some balance to the prevailing mood surrounding our manager.

• Like 1

I wanted Monk out, but now it is clear that he is here to stay for the foreseeable future. He’d done well with Beattie before, and Hughes comes with a strong reputation. 

It’s time to give Monk a break and get behind him and his team. 

Echoing a lot of what's been said here, but feeling very positive about this. I wasn't Monk's biggest fan, but always felt he deserved slack considering he lacked proper coaching staff.

I anticipated one new member of coaching staff to be brought in, but there's a real show of intent with bringing in three. This combined with the need to sign a host of new players means Monk's destiny is now truly in his hands. I'm feeling a lot more confident about avoiding the drop now.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It wouldn't

We could have plenty of discussion about the positive news  - quite easily

How the foook would you know that? Was this site around in the early 90s?

lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

I'm basing my assumption on his record here, and his record with this new team at other clubs.

I... want them to succeed, like most i sleep eat and dream this club..... however, this move concerns me.
And i'm a tad miffed, given our appalling record under Monk last season, that we waited for a proven failed team.

Maybe this time, they will get things right...?  I'm just not filled with optimism. After all. It's facts that matter, and the facts are.

this is a multi time failed management team.  With far better players than we have too. 

Ok I want them to succeed too but you may be being unfairly pessimistic.

Monk with his team had two good seasons at Middlesbrough and Leeds and his bad seasons were in a difficult situation at Birmingham. Last year's season here was without his team.

So maybe those facts need consideration.

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

He can be as fat and unfit as he wants to be for me....... 

Just as long as he remembers how to put the ball in the back of the net consistantly lol

I qualify for 2 out of those 3 !  Put me down as available and reasonably priced.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

No excuses anymore Monk has his team in place. Hope it works , we need it to but there are no more blame games for Monk . It is do or die time .

I don't think Monk has blamed the lack of his own coaching team for our poor run, has he?

As far as I'm aware, he's just got on with the job despite the chairman refusing to properly back him by paying the compensation to Birmingham City.

Unless I've missed something?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Shezza said:

I wanted Monk out, but now it is clear that he is here to stay for the foreseeable future. He’d done well with Beattie before, and Hughes comes with a strong reputation. 

He has to earn that, he’ll get praise from me when he deserves that praise, but I’ll continue to hold him to account when he makes a mess of things Isn’t that how it should be

• Like 2

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't think Monk has blamed the lack of his own coaching team for our poor run, has he?

As far as I'm aware, he's just got on with the job despite the chairman refusing to properly back him by paying the compensation to Birmingham City.

Unless I've missed something?

No he just blamed the players, many on here have said let him get his team in.He has so lets see now what happens. I hope it works with the support he will get from them but I am not convinced. Onwards and upwards is the aim and believe me that is what I want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Time now for those moaning about Monk to get put your gripes to one side, get behind him, back him, and give it 100% support

I think that is fair enough now. But I must say that DC is a crafty old fox to relieve the pressure from his own failures!

I can see it playing out  now in Bangkok:

DC - " Hey Att, what are the fukwits on Owlstalk saying this week?"

Att - " Dad, they're saying that Monk needs a pre season as he hasn't had one yet"

DC - "OK, lets shut that down and let him have one"

Att - " Dad, they're also saying he needs to clear the dead wood from the squad"

DC - " OK, let the cull begin"

Att - " Dad, they're also saying he needs to bring his own players to the club so he can be judged fairly"

DC - " OK, let him bring new players in before the new season"

Att - " Dad, they say he needs his own backroom staff and of his choosing"

DC - " OK, let him bring Beatts n Co in"

Att - " Dad, We've lost the first 4 games of the new season and we are still on minus 12"

DC - " Ah phook it ... sack the useless cuuunt"

• Haha 3

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

No he just blamed the players, many on here have said let him get his team in.He has so lets see now what happens. I hope it works with the support he will get from them but I am not convinced. Onwards and upwards is the aim and believe me that is what I want.

I don't doubt that, just not sure where the idea that Monk was blaming the lack of coaches had come from.

As for blaming the players, it's hard not to when you see the way they've performed at times. The harshest I've heard him is after we lost 5-0 to Brentford:

“There is a culture here that will never ever be successful. There is not enough desire, determination and strength of character. If you want to be successful, there has to be a determination and a fire that is lit underneath you, not just from the whole group but from individually within. There is not enough of that at this football club.

One thing you can never, ever, ever do on a football pitch is hide…today we had players hiding on a football pitch. You need to fight for yourself before anyone else and they are not even doing that.”

Having sat through that game, it's hard to disagree with him. There were promising signs of better togetherness following the lockdown, and I don't recall criticising the players during that period. Hopefully we can continue in the right direction and results will follow.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

he's never blamed anyone 

Not directly maybe just banished players from squad and replaced with inferior players. It is a time for change and I hope it works. I was a supporter of his appointment and hope he can turn it round but its not looked good for 6 months . Its time to prove his worth.

55 minutes ago, Shezza said:

What does getting behind Monk mean in practice?

Sitting in front of a TV or computer, we all start singing 'There's only one Garry Monk' or 'Garry, Garry, Garry, Monk, Monk, Monk' ?

If that was to help the team not to be 0-3 down at 3,15 Sat afternoon then I'm all for it! 

3 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Not directly maybe just banished players from squad and replaced with inferior players. 

You make it sound like he was weak

He was the exact opposite

He's kicked ass this last month or so, managed the players, had a clearout, brought in new faces and continues the transition that was very very much needed

Banishing players who contribute nothing, cause issues, and think they own the place is a good thing - good riddance to that era

Long live the Monk era - exciting times now

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't doubt that, just not sure where the idea that Monk was blaming the lack of coaches had come from.

As for blaming the players, it's hard not to when you see the way they've performed at times. The harshest I've heard him is after we lost 5-0 to Brentford:

“There is a culture here that will never ever be successful. There is not enough desire, determination and strength of character. If you want to be successful, there has to be a determination and a fire that is lit underneath you, not just from the whole group but from individually within. There is not enough of that at this football club.

One thing you can never, ever, ever do on a football pitch is hide…today we had players hiding on a football pitch. You need to fight for yourself before anyone else and they are not even doing that.”

Having sat through that game, it's hard to disagree with him. There were promising signs of better togetherness following the lockdown, and I don't recall criticising the players during that period. Hopefully we can continue in the right direction and results will follow.

I hope so too. This club is bigger than any player or manager. Its time we had a team to make us proud and have pride in the shirt. Is Monk the man to instill that I dont know, the ball is in his court and I hope he comes good. In reality we desperate for him to succeed. 

• Like 2