BREAKING NEWS - Garry Monk brings in new staff and appoints new assistant manager

43 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Really,i mean really,you lost for words.........................behave ya self,always and i mean always got summat to say,usually ends up with "mark my words or we're only going one way" etc,etc

And has any thing I said not happened.

If you remove your blue and white glasses it's very very predictable.

Just now, Blue and white said:

And has any thing I said not happened.

If you remove your blue and white glasses it's very very predictable.

Yeh,hinted at admin................................fail

Swfc/Chansiri has no money...................fail

We're going down....................................fail

Yeh,quite a success that fella.

If we get rid of the old failures like Bullen etc and chansiri finally stops getting involved at any level apart from paying the wages we might stand a chance of progressing.

Unfortunately I have zero confidence in chansiri’s ego allowing him to let better qualified people turn this mess around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Yeh,hinted at admin................................fail

Swfc/Chansiri has no money...................fail

We're going down....................................fail

Yeh,quite a success that fella.

I said we should have gone into admin before Milan took over.

Had the EFL applied the deduction this season like they probably should then we would have been down.

I have yet to see anything to convince me Chansiri has a significant amount of money to spend and currently we are shopping in the free transfer market.

Next.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

I said we should have gone into admin before Milan took over.

Had the EFL applied the deduction this season like they probably should then we would have been down.

I have yet to see anything to convince me Chansiri has a significant amount of money to spend and currently we are shopping in the free transfer market.

Next.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda,your predictions were wrong.....................................next

Just now, Jim said:

I don’t rate him, never have, never will. If he gets success here then I’ll acknowledge it but I’ll never be a fan and I know from reading some of the other posts on here there are some who feel the same way as me

.ive always been of the opinion that some are  fans and others support no matter what . ....you with that  comment have thrown me .......are you  supporter of the club or just a fan ?

32 minutes ago, Pieman said:

My view on Bullen is similar to yours of M**k 😀

I’m not saying I want him in the role but after today where does he sit in the current hierarchy after the assistant manager and first team coach roles have been filled? 

I just don’t see Chansiri letting him go as who’s going to be caretaker when we’re between managers again? 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DSandersonOWL said:

No-one has the least clue if it is a positive move or not.

Results are the only thing that will tell us whether it is positive or negative,

Shows nothing new about DC ; he has always hung on to his managers. 

Maybe this time it will turn out for the good, or not! 

Well of cause it’s a positive move? And to me it shows DC realises Monk needs his men around him.

None of this means we will automatically do better, but surely it gives us a better chance and that to me is a positive. lol

27 minutes ago, Jim said:

I’m not saying I want him in the role but after today where does he sit in the current hierarchy after the assistant manager and first team coach roles have been filled? 

I just don’t see Chansiri letting him go as who’s going to be caretaker when we’re between managers again? 🙄

Your point makes absolute sense. His standards are just not high enough and he is too close to the players. Steve Haslam can take the caretaker role, if needed...

28 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Explain how they were wrong, one was an opinion and everybody is entitled to them, even you.

Please enlighten me why your so confident Chansiri has money.

We've done this before fella,it doesn't need doing again,because it bores the shiznee out of me,going over and over and over the same thing again and again.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-08-12 at 13.14.32.jpg

Garry Monk has bolstered his backroom staff with three new additions to his coaching team at Hillsborough.

Trio James Beattie, Darryl Flahavan and Andrew Hughes will be in position ahead of the squad’s return to Middlewood Road later this week.

Former England striker Beattie will take up the position of assistant manager.

The 42-year-old is of course well known to Monk, having worked with the Wednesday boss at previous clubs Swansea, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Birmingham.

Beattie enjoyed a fine 18-year career as a player, making almost 500 appearances with the majority of those coming for Southampton in the Premier League.

He went on to turn out for Everton, Sheffield United, Stoke, Rangers, Blackpool and finally Accrington Stanley, where he also spent 16 months as first team manager before joining Monk’s coaching staff at Swansea in 2015.

Flahavan joins the Owls as goalkeeping coach.

The Southampton-born former shot-stopper had a 20-year playing career, where he posted over 450 appearances for the likes of Woking, Southend, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth and Crawley.

The 41-year-old hung up his gloves in 2016 after making 14 appearances for his final club Crawley.

Monk and Flahavan were teammates at Southampton early in their careers and have worked together on the coaching side at Middlesbrough and Birmingham.

Meanwhile, Hughes arrives at Hillsborough as first team coach.

The highly skilled and experienced coach most recently held the position of Under-23 lead at Sheffield United, until June 2020.

Hughes has also worked as first team coach at Huddersfield Town and enjoyed a terrific first campaign, with the Terriers winning promotion to the Premier League.

The 42-year-old also enjoyed a superb playing career and was known for his versatility in defence and midfield, beginning at Oldham, before moving on to Notts County, Reading, Norwich and Leeds – where he became a fan favourite at Elland Road.

Prior to his role with the Terriers alongside David Wagner, Hughes also held coaching positions at Bolton, Rotherham and Crystal Palace.

Welcome aboard!

Although this is obviously important, it’s additions to the playing staff that I give a poo about. Also makes it much tougher to sack Monk now which is definitely a negative. You never know, maybe miracles will happen and we will improve now he has his coaching team around him.

16 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Well, no excuses apart from the fact that we're 12 points behind everyone else before the season has even started, have a questionable financial position, only two thirds of a squad, reduced attractiveness for new players with multiple offers, and those we do have aren't very good.

So if the new assistant manager takes the credit should we do well, then the logical extension of that thought process is that the last six months must be Bullen's fault?

Sadly, this is all too indicative of the modern age. People make their choice, then literally nothing can change their mind. Evidently, they place more value on never backing down, even if the evidence points to completely the opposite conclusion. And it is especially true for football supporters once they turn against a player, or even more so, a manager. Evidence is made to fit the theory rather than the rather more trustworthy method of doing it the other way round.

That's not to say I'm filled with hope going into the new season either, but I'm not the one claiming that whether we finish top or bottom, that my predetermined judgement will be correct regardless.

You always seem to quote these posts and although you may be right, these are few and far between in relation to the ones that question Monk based on the tactics, substitutions, performances, results and overall team management.

What is your opinion? Yes there have been factors that have hindered his job through no cause of his own and having some more staff on board should help. However, he took us to top 6 in his first 17 games then consistently had us performing much worse than every team other than Hull in the next 23 matches. That is ultimately his responsibility and very few managers survive after half a season of such dismal results and performances.  

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

You always seem to quote these posts and although you may be right, these are few and far between in relation to the ones that question Monk based on the tactics, substitutions, performances, results and overall team management.

What is your opinion? Yes there have been factors that have hindered his job through no cause of his own and having some more staff on board should help. However, he took us to top 6 in his first 17 games then consistently had us performing much worse than every team other than Hull in the next 23 matches. That is ultimately his responsibility and very few managers survive after half a season of such dismal results and performances.  

having appointed someone who's inherited an ageing  squad thats done sod all for 2 years ,give him no money to spend and get him to try to reduce the wage bill with a back room  squad he probably didnt want .......he deserves a run at it with his own players and staff .

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

So in other words you can't.

If he had no money we wouldn't still be paying all staff and player wages, plus hiring three new coaching staff.

Not saying he's goimg to spend loads, but enough to fill the gaps. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be honest, I don't put too much emphasis on supporters (or even former professionals) talking about tactics, substitutions, methodologies and motivations. Football is a game of infinite variables and expecting to be in agreement much of the time with anyone is bordering on the statistically impossible. Once the decision is made that a manager is no good, then prejudice and sometimes even hysteria become factors and all sorts of nonsense is added to that mix. When you hear fans moaning about some of the greatest individuals in the game, often from a position of almost complete ignorance, you really have to step back and question the credibility of it all.

Given a comparison of our form before and after Christmas, I find it difficult to believe that there was some simplistic tactical judgement or personnel decision behind that. Maybe it was a number of factors that achieved some kind of critical mass? I know nothing more than anyone else. According to one detailed analysis posted here recently, the balance of our games weren't as bad as results suggested was the case and that under the usual influence of probability we should have done better than we actually did. But overall, I'm ambivalent about Monk. If we get off to a bad start next season (and I don't mean the first 4-5 games), the pressure on his position will justifiably continue to increase.

• Like 3