Guest Grandad

Should we sign Lionel Messi? 

"No, hes well past his best, not the kind of player we need to be looking at.

What we really need is players who've never played a league game, on the verge of being released from Academies"

Fine player at this level. He has a fabulous fitness record and that’s really important. We can’t afford a big squad full of cheap bits and pieces players. We need quality players fit enough to play 40 games in one position - that’s Ince, at RW.

HOWEVER, two downsides.

1. If we play 352 we’ve no clue if he’s capable of playing WB.

2. WB is one of the few positions where we’ve two very fit players already, in Reach and Harris. And we have ok cover.

Unlike many on here I’m a huge believer in Reach. I yearn to see Harris and Reach starting every game next season, mainly Reach left but swapping. 

So, no. Not for me. Though I do rate Ince highly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

He was sheeeite for Derby and more sheeeite for Stoke how great signing comes from that defeats me 

He was absolutely not sheeeite for Derby. 37 goals in 2.5 seasons from the wing is outstanding. 

However, he has been absolutely rubbish for the last 3 years at Stoke and Hudds and is the exact type of player we signed 3-4 years ago that has got us into this financial mess. Big wages, big ego, nothing to prove. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Fine player at this level. He has a fabulous fitness record and that’s really important. We can’t afford a big squad full of cheap bits and pieces players. We need quality players fit enough to play 40 games in one position - that’s Ince, at RW.

HOWEVER, two downsides.

1. If we play 352 we’ve no clue if he’s capable of playing WB.

2. WB is one of the few positions where we’ve two very fit players already, in Reach and Harris. And we have ok cover.

Unlike many on here I’m a huge believer in Reach. I yearn to see Harris and Reach starting every game next season, mainly Reach left but swapping. 

So, no. Not for me. Though I do rate Ince highly.

Pretty much this for me too. If we were to play a front three or wingers I’d sign him in a heartbeat (wages permitting). At this level, even with a bad season or two he averages a goal or assist every other game.

Imagine a wide player scoring & assisting double figures! I can’t remember the last time we had a wide player do either? 

14 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Pretty much this for me too. If we were to play a front three or wingers I’d sign him in a heartbeat (wages permitting). At this level, even with a bad season or two he averages a goal or assist every other game.

Imagine a wide player scoring & assisting double figures! I can’t remember the last time we had a wide player do either? 

Forestieri 15/16.

Sadly, he convinced himself and Carlos he wasn’t a winger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Oops.

Forgot Reach.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

I’d rather be pushing the boat out to sign young players like Simmonds or that Everton kid and investing the money in youth, than on has-beens 

Agree with this, we need to focus on spending money and wages on younger players now with potential resale value. 

We already have some experience in the squad, just need a leader or two brought in and the rest should be talented youngsters hopefully  

Guest wilyfox
17 minutes ago, timrud said:

Ability yes, attitude no.

Have you met Tom Ince? Do you know what his attitude is?

28 is certainly not the right age.  That's slap bang in the ball park of WRONG age.  He would have zero residual value down the line, he's not going to improve and his next contract would be north of 30.  NOPE.

25/26 should be oldest we're looking at unless it's an absolute marquee signing.

Just not bothered...

2 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

No no and thrice no 

He's a busted flush who has been stealing a living for years Reach is a better player than he is and thats on the form that Reach has shown over the last season 

Always flattered to deceive, how many clubs has he failed at?