Charlton fans not happy

I'm not sure how Charlton can take legal action, what that legal action would be or who it would be against.

We've been cleared of all charges regarding the stadium sale but we have been deducted points for failing Test 3 of FFP. The amount and timing of that deduction has been decided by the independent disciplinary panel, not the EFL. So who are Charlton going to take action against? The independent disciplinary panel, because they sure as hell can't take action against the EFL, or us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In all honesty the Uberfan thing is just a lighthearted way to give those judging others a bit of a nudge to stop it

Life is full of people of all shapes, sizes, colours and opinions and it's good to debate the topics and points without turning anything into an 'Im a better fan than you' type nonsense as that's just divisive and pointless.

I'm sick of hearing how this forum is full of negative people from fans who post nothing but positivity (which is a good thing). LIFE is like that. If you got 100 fans into a room you'd get 10 who were ultra 'uberfan' types, 80 who were middle ground on most things, and 10 who would make you want to just jump off a cliff. The same 10 people would moan over and and over and over and over again and nothing would ever be enough to make them happy. and the same 10 uberfan types would say nothing but ultra positive stuff over and over and over and over and not hear a bad word about anything.

This website is absolutely no different. It's a mixed bag. People of all opinions posting their opinions for everyone to discuss and debate, but as soon as it turns into 'get t' lane then' or 'just another stick to beat the club with' it soon turns sour hence my knocking up an Uberfan artwork.

For an ultra positive fan to come on moaning that people have different opinions to theirs so that makes it all wrong makes me annoyed. 

Same as if a total moaner was to say we should kick the ultra positive fans off for posting totally positive stuff  - it's not on to suggest that either.

Ultimately this isn't an echo chamber - it's an open discussion forum for people of all opinions

Same as the pub
Same as Twitter
Same as Facebook
Same as sitting in The Moor Markets

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either not being totally honest or has an agenda.

Hopefully people will learn to accept that other people have other opinions without turning it into some wierd kind of competition about who's the biggest/best fan as it always seems to get pushed towards

If you see someone being negative and you don't like it post something positive in response
If you read someone sticking up for a decision made by the chairman that you don't agree with then post something in response

It's kinda how it works

Oh yeah... And the chairman is NOT Sheffield Wednesday Football Club. Challenging any of his decisions is NOT attacking the club. But anyone with half a brain already knows this.

Which is exactly what I and a few other did. We posted positively and were taken to task for doing so.

Whatever you say there is more negativity on Owlstalk than there is among fans at large. I don't know if it is the same posters being constantly negative about everything or  a lot of fans being negative about some thing specific but it does get tedious. Read a few threads at random and see how often they get sidetracked and twisted towards anti Monk. You don't really need to do you. You've already tried to change the narrative on a number of occasions/

I'll leave it there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

Read a few threads at random and see how often they get sidetracked and twisted towards anti Monk. You don't really need to do you.

Yeah totally it's insane sometimes 

But I think this weekend is not the weekend to be evaluating negativity/positivity as we've just been given a -12 point deduction that throws us straight into a relegation battle

lol

I do agree that some posters just moan on and on and on and on and on, but it's no different to being down the pub. The only difference being that on here you can't help but overhear the mad old gimmer chuntering on (unless you put them on ignore of course) where in the pub you'd just turn ya back on him or walk to the other side of the pub away from it ha ha.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I'm not sure how Charlton can take legal action, what that legal action would be or who it would be against.

We've been cleared of all charges regarding the stadium sale but we have been deducted points for failing Test 3 of FFP. The amount and timing of that deduction has been decided by the independent disciplinary panel, not the EFL. So who are Charlton going to take action against? The independent disciplinary panel, because they sure as hell can't take action against the EFL, or us.

Personally I don't think they have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about which season its applied to. We're being sanctioned over spending for the 3 years to the end of the 2017/18 season, its got nothing to do with 2019/20.

It's supposed to be a punishment for Sheffield Wednesday, not a reprieve for some other club who haven't been good enough on the pitch. Their argument would only make sense if it was because we broke spending rules in 2019/20 and it was to their detriment as it made it harder to compete. On the basis that we're the only club to be considered here, its harsh to deduct close to the end of the season when there's no time to react to it, so totally fair for it to be next season.

The whole thing is b*llocks anyway because we spent the 8th highest amount in the league during the period under consideration and nobody else has been docked points (bar Birmingham). The real issue is the difference in revenues between the clubs and we all know why that is.

44 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It's supposed to be a punishment for Sheffield Wednesday, not a reprieve for some other club who haven't been good enough on the pitch. Their argument would only make sense if it was because we broke spending rules in 2019/20 and it was to their detriment as it made it harder to compete.

This 100%.

Also, from a sporting point of view, it makes a mockery of the last day drama to have teams playing for promotion and relegation and then to rewrite the table afterwards. Yes, Wigan are a slight exception to that, but the Wigan situation had precedent and everyone was 99% sure they were getting a 12 point deduction.

It was clear when we got to 22nd July without a deduction that this was going to apply to next year.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Personally I don't think they have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about which season its applied to. We're being sanctioned over spending for the 3 years to the end of the 2017/18 season, its got nothing to do with 2019/20.

It's supposed to be a punishment for Sheffield Wednesday, not a reprieve for some other club who haven't been good enough on the pitch. Their argument would only make sense if it was because we broke spending rules in 2019/20 and it was to their detriment as it made it harder to compete. On the basis that we're the only club to be considered here, its harsh to deduct close to the end of the season when there's no time to react to it, so totally fair for it to be next season.

The whole thing is b*llocks anyway because we spent the 8th highest amount in the league during the period under consideration and nobody else has been docked points (bar Birmingham). The real issue is the difference in revenues between the clubs and we all know why that is.

I couldn't agree more. Absolutely spot on.

FFP needs scrapping completely or bringing in line with the ridiculous parachute payments. The whole thing is a joke, and I've been banging this particular drum for well over 5 seasons now, so it's nothing to do with our Amazing Chairman™ and his flexible accounting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I couldn't agree more. Absolutely spot on.

FFP needs scrapping completely or bringing in line with the ridiculous parachute payments. 

The obvious answer would be for the Premier League to pay ALL Championship Clubs the parachute payments every season so that everyone gets the same amount

Any club getting relegated from the Premier League would know they have the payments to cushion the blow, and all the other clubs would get the exact same amount so can't complain about anyone getting unfair amounts!

Winner

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The obvious answer would be for the Premier League to pay ALL Championship Clubs the parachute payments every season so that everyone gets the same amount

Any club getting relegated from the Premier League would know they have the payments to cushion the blow, and all the other clubs would get the exact same amount so can't complain about anyone getting unfair amounts!

Winner

Alternatively, ensure as a club you are giving out correct contracts that include pay decreases inline with revenue decreases, upon relegation. That does mean that all clubs need to do this, which will never happen of course.

What ever the answer, there needs to be a change and it needs to happen quickly. The gulf is growing far too wide and clubs aiming to get promotion are taking far greater risks to achieve it. It's the antithesis of what FFP was set up to address.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kobayashi said:

The case and the season were both delayed by Covid. The case was begun in 19/20 season and 19/20 season is still ongoing, so it’s Not too surprising why Charlton are asking why the punishment is being deferred until 20/21.

The case wasn't delayed by covid though was it? The hearing was actually brought forward at the behest of Gibson.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah it’s bizarre isn’t it mate

its just soooooo weird!!!

So utterly utterly baffling why anyone might be critical right now 

I don’t understand it

It’s the way it’s been guided pal ...... and been encouraged to boot ..... such a shame really 

• Haha 1

FFP/P&S whatever needs abolishing

Football desperately needs resetting - and clubs should be like any other business and stand or fall on their decisions and the depth of the resources backing them

If clubs over reach and go to the wall then so be it

These are different times and its every man for himself

I can certainly see why any club getting relegated may view this as ridiculous to observe a sanction imposed while this current season is as yet unfinished (although i can see that the normal season has ended) - yet the punishment applies in a different season

I'm really not interested in arguing the minutiae of it but i can completely see how it is seen as bizarre from the outside

• Like 1

On 31/07/2020 at 20:14, Whitechapel Owl said:

Well you can't really blame them can you. We can consider ourselves very fortunate to have not been relegated this evening.

Well they should have got a few more points...hardly our fault EFL should have got it sorted. No sympathy the EFL have wrecked our season as well, maybe if we had not had this uncertainty we would have had more points and the charlton would have to find another scapegoat, like their own waste of a team.

2 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

The case wasn't delayed by covid though was it? The hearing was actually brought forward at the behest of Gibson.

All roads lead to Middlesbrough then. Can they dock Boro 21 points for having Gibson as chairman

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

In all honesty the Uberfan thing is just a lighthearted way to give those judging others a bit of a nudge to stop it

Life is full of people of all shapes, sizes, colours and opinions and it's good to debate the topics and points without turning anything into an 'Im a better fan than you' type nonsense as that's just divisive and pointless.

I'm sick of hearing how this forum is full of negative people from fans who post nothing but positivity (which is a good thing). LIFE is like that. If you got 100 fans into a room you'd get 10 who were ultra 'uberfan' types, 80 who were middle ground on most things, and 10 who would make you want to just jump off a cliff. The same 10 people would moan over and and over and over and over again and nothing would ever be enough to make them happy. and the same 10 uberfan types would say nothing but ultra positive stuff over and over and over and over and not hear a bad word about anything.

This website is absolutely no different. It's a mixed bag. People of all opinions posting their opinions for everyone to discuss and debate, but as soon as it turns into 'get t' lane then' or 'just another stick to beat the club with' it soon turns sour hence my knocking up an Uberfan artwork.

For an ultra positive fan to come on moaning that people have different opinions to theirs so that makes it all wrong makes me annoyed. 

Same as if a total moaner was to say we should kick the ultra positive fans off for posting totally positive stuff  - it's not on to suggest that either.

Ultimately this isn't an echo chamber - it's an open discussion forum for people of all opinions

Same as the pub
Same as Twitter
Same as Facebook
Same as sitting in The Moor Markets

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either not being totally honest or has an agenda.

Hopefully people will learn to accept that other people have other opinions without turning it into some wierd kind of competition about who's the biggest/best fan as it always seems to get pushed towards

If you see someone being negative and you don't like it post something positive in response
If you read someone sticking up for a decision made by the chairman that you don't agree with then post something in response

It's kinda how it works

Oh yeah... And the chairman is NOT Sheffield Wednesday Football Club. Challenging any of his decisions is NOT attacking the club. But anyone with half a brain already knows this.

Now I’m really confused. I used to be an Uber fan but now I’m a negative nelly. How do I regain my uberfan status.

Can't stand Charlton. The mind the gap season when they came to Hillsborough was one of the worst matches I've ever seen from a cheating time wasting point of view. And I saw forest under Billy Davies. Never liked em since then. 

That has nowt to do with my opinion that they can do one with their bleating now though. 

For clarity, can anyone show some proof that the hearing wasn't delayed due to covid? If they can then they definitely don't have a leg to stand on.