12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's fine

But we have

10 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Who cares. 

lol

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

I know we were charged in November, but wasn’t the offence actually the previous year? So no actual reason why the points should definitely come off the season just gone. 

Exactly, the explanation of Birmingham's deduction in the report of the case indicates that it is desired to apply the deduction the season immediately following the breach but this is not always practically possible. 

In our case we breached as of 2017-18 so should have effectively been applied in the 2018-19 season. This obviously wasn't possible but Charlton have no more of a right to benefit from our deduction than any of the teams in the division last season or any of the teams in the division next season.

17 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Always had an irrational dislike of Charlton but you can see why they might be a bit miffed.

Why ?

They are trying to conflate 2 totally different issues Ours and Wigans 

The case against us was slated for July 3 months ( nearly ) after season end should Covid 19 skew the decision against us ?

Not to my mind it shouldn't 

You can make a case for the length of time it took to get to court but Wednesday don't choose that, nor did the EFL apparently 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree with you, I think we have.

it's a sign of the times though that in the big scheme of things it is not that important to the football world as a whole. As others have said, Leicester won the league a few years ago and qualified for the Champions League. The odd article and posts nationally references the moves they made financially not too long ago that have helped to get them to this kind of success but by and large most football fans just say well done Leicester and make no reference to their past issues.

Sadly we aren't the first to suffer a deduction and in the current climate, unless the rules change there will be plenty more to follow in the near future. 

Of course it doesn't make it right and we shouldn't be flippant about it but in the wider football community, this tarnished view won't last as long as it might have done in previous eras. 

You say we have, but then go on to say nobody gives a monkey's about what Leicester did.

Football fans are notoriously fickle & generally have the memories of Goldfish.

I bet 80% don't even know what Leicester did (twice). 

Most of the Charlton fan's probably don't even know what they did themselves. 

First we are a "laughing stock" & now we are "tarnished". 

Think we may need some sort of self help counselling.

• Thanks 1

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Exactly, the explanation of Birmingham's deduction in the report of the case indicates that it is desired to apply the deduction the season immediately following the breach but this is not always practically possible. 

In our case we breached as of 2017-18 so should have effectively been applied in the 2018-19 season. This obviously wasn't possible but Charlton have no more of a right to benefit from our deduction than any of the teams in the division last season or any of the teams in the division next season.

Spot on the only way for a club to make sure of their safety is to do it themselves on the pitch and the top and bottom of it is that Charlton weren't good enough over 46 games to stay up .

This decision gives them the chance as most football fans would to delude themselves that they have been cheated ...............................they haven't been 

• Like 1

Let's see what happens to Derby shall we.

Be interesting.

Also I assume our case would have been heard on a similar time scale to Derby's if the local cockroaches from Barnsley & Boro hadn't spat their dummies out & demanded the EFL bring the case forward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Why ?

They are trying to conflate 2 totally different issues Ours and Wigans 

The case against us was slated for July 3 months ( nearly ) after season end should Covid 19 skew the decision against us ?

Not to my mind it shouldn't 

You can make a case for the length of time it took to get to court but Wednesday don't choose that, nor did the EFL apparently 

The case and the season were both delayed by Covid. The case was begun in 19/20 season and 19/20 season is still ongoing, so it’s Not too surprising why Charlton are asking why the punishment is being deferred until 20/21.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Let's see what happens to Derby shall we.

Be interesting.

Also I assume our case would have been heard on a similar time scale to Derby's if the local cockroaches from Barnsley & Boro hadn't spat their dummies out & demanded the EFL bring the case forward.

I bet they get their deduction this season because -12 wouldn’t relegate them. 

Old Mel will pull a few strings. Guaranteed they get a lesser punishment than us. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

The case and the season were both delayed by Covid. The case was begun in 19/20 season and 19/20 season is still ongoing, so it’s Not too surprising why Charlton are asking why the punishment is being deferred until 20/21.

I'm not going to argue with you because i don't know for sure but my understanding is that the case was scheduled before covid shut the country down 

If i'm wrong then maybe a smidgen of understanding but only a smidgen 

Tbf, I'd expect us to make enquiries if the shoe was on the other foot. Whether there is any prospect of success in such an action is another thing.

Remember you've got Bournemouth considering legal action against Hawkeye.

It would appear we have entered the era of litigation and point deductions. Promotions and relegations to be determined by who has the better lawyers.

Couple that along with COVD-19 and we may well be seeing the beginning of the end.

9 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Because Wednesday have 2 weeks to appeal and then the appeal would then continue on for several more weeks. This wouldn't be revolved until 20/21 was underway.

It is the same reason Manchester City were banned from next year's Champions League. They appealed the ban and won. If the punishment had already been applied to this season, some other team would have played in the second round and it would be impossible to unpick that and Man City would have effectively already been punished for something they were cleared of*.

(*However ludicrous that decision was)

Same reason if you are convicted of fraud, they don't say serve your 10-year sentence first, then we will hear your appeal...

• Thanks 1

So much negative thinking about at present. Why are our fans so negative all the time. Do they all go to games expecting us to get thumped every week. Expect us to give away penalties whenever the opposition attack or our players to get sent off every time they tackle someone.

Our manager is the worst ever to walk this earth, every player is totally useless, overpaid and no one wants them, The Chairman is useless, etc etc etc.

I often wonder why some of our fans support the club if it is so goddam awful, or sometines even if they do support  us. Sometimes it's a real downer reading Owlstalk, it shouldn't be there are some great people on here, just cheer the f' up and make this site the pleasure it should be.

I know we have been rubbish for a long time but without optimism life must be such a dark experience.

Cheer up, the sun is shining, next season hasn't stated yet. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Because Wednesday have 2 weeks to appeal and then the appeal would then continue on for several more weeks. This wouldn't be revolved until 20/21 was underway.

It is the same reason Manchester City were banned from next year's Champions League. They appealed the ban and won. If the punishment had already been applied to this season, some other team would have played in the second round and it would be impossible to unpick that and Man City would have effectively already been punished for something they were cleared of*.

(*However ludicrous that decision was)

Same reason if you are convicted of fraud, they don't say serve your 10-year sentence first, then we will hear your appeal...

Plenty of people convicted of a crime are in prison awaiting their appeal to be heard.