Can’t give up on Wednesday

4 minutes ago, Judas Atkinson said:

So all I can say now is come on you blue and white wizards...

Unfortunately, they aren't listening and if they are simply don't have the character and/or ability to do owt about it.

Nice heartfelt post though. Makes me sad to read people in your predicament, personally I feel completely ambivalent at the moment as until Chansiri goes we won't improve or sort things out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judas Atkinson said:

I can’t give up on Wednesday now. We aren’t even at our lowest ebb. I am 63 and so know the lowest ebb. I was brought up in S6, live there still and have done for most of my life. I was brought up to believe that those in the blue and white stripes were heroes, and I still can’t fully shake that off, even though I know the real heroes are in the NHS.  I am a bit of a happy clapper and am a season ticket holder of many years standing. I always enjoy going to the game, but often it has been more for the routine, to get out,  to see friends for a couple of beers beforehand, and even to see my wider group of friends who I know entirely from the kop.

So it is hard for me to say this, but I haven’t missed it. I have watched on ifollow and thought I detected some improvement under 3-5-2, but now feel that any optimism was misplaced.  I even regret getting my early bird ticket as I probably won’t be able to go anyway. We are almost totally reliant on Mr Chansari’s generosity, and I have no confidence that much will change over the summer under current management. I was shocked to be voting Monk out in the owlstalk poll, that isn’t like me. I generally support the manager to a fault. But his team are shot, they have no confidence and collapse at the end of games. I expect my favourite (Keiren Lee) to be gone with many others and for us to be weaker at the start of next season than we are now. Monk has had a poor deal here, but I have no confidence that he can inspire a turn round, let alone make up for a point deduction if we are still in the Championship. In my experience Wednesday only do well with a big character in charge. 

So I am about as low as I can get with Wednesday, the injury time goal last night showed us to be capable of losing to a team that weren’t even trying to win, I feel down about it, and not even knowing what division we will be in fills me with trepidation, it certainly makes our situation trickier still.  So all I can say now is come on you blue and white wizards, Wednesday fans will not forsake you now! 

I don't disagree with a lot of your points, but don't particularly buy into the doomsday scenario.

Depending on the EFL outcome we potentially start the new season in the same position as all the rest (possibly including the almighty Brentford) but defo with the likes of Forest, Derby, Norwich (failure payments) so write this one off & see how we go. 

Regarding the manager. I totally agree we need a big character. Steve Bruce was one and hugely damaging for us & DC when he left.

The main thing I would take issue with Is your tag "Judas Atkinson". This is where we differ.

My 'tag' is a tribute to Big Ron dating pre Owlstalk when the old BBC 606 thing was on the go. It seemed quite obvious, witty & relevant then!!😅

Ron was a big character, but unlike a lot of people, I can forgive him (I didn't at the time) for going to his own club, much in the same way as Bruce did. 

If we want 'big character's", we have to accept there is an inherent danger of them being poached by bigger fish.

It goes with the territory. We can either thank them for what they did in the time they were here, or sulk & call them names when they leave.

Anyway, only a minor point. Chin up, it can't be worse than this season.

Can it??????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Judas Atkinson said:

I can’t give up on Wednesday now. We aren’t even at our lowest ebb. I am 63 and so know the lowest ebb. I was brought up in S6, live there still and have done for most of my life. I was brought up to believe that those in the blue and white stripes were heroes, and I still can’t fully shake that off, even though I know the real heroes are in the NHS.  I am a bit of a happy clapper and am a season ticket holder of many years standing. I always enjoy going to the game, but often it has been more for the routine, to get out,  to see friends for a couple of beers beforehand, and even to see my wider group of friends who I know entirely from the kop.

So it is hard for me to say this, but I haven’t missed it. I have watched on ifollow and thought I detected some improvement under 3-5-2, but now feel that any optimism was misplaced.  I even regret getting my early bird ticket as I probably won’t be able to go anyway. We are almost totally reliant on Mr Chansari’s generosity, and I have no confidence that much will change over the summer under current management. I was shocked to be voting Monk out in the owlstalk poll, that isn’t like me. I generally support the manager to a fault. But his team are shot, they have no confidence and collapse at the end of games. I expect my favourite (Keiren Lee) to be gone with many others and for us to be weaker at the start of next season than we are now. Monk has had a poor deal here, but I have no confidence that he can inspire a turn round, let alone make up for a point deduction if we are still in the Championship. In my experience Wednesday only do well with a big character in charge. 

So I am about as low as I can get with Wednesday, the injury time goal last night showed us to be capable of losing to a team that weren’t even trying to win, I feel down about it, and not even knowing what division we will be in fills me with trepidation, it certainly makes our situation trickier still.  So all I can say now is come on you blue and white wizards, Wednesday fans will not forsake you now! 

Enjoyed your post, mate, but like rob I’ve never liked the Judas tag attached to Ron.

Im equally touchy about the CoCo tag attached to Carlos.

Ron was the best and still is the best in recent memory. I don’t think we’ll see his like again.

Carlos for a brief period gave us that same joy in being a Wednesdayite that Ron did.

Why can’t people be grateful for those memories?

Even some of the hapless managers of the past, who gave us nothing at all to cheer about, were allowed to leave without being hounded years after.

Like others, I’m sad that Bruce didn’t see it out. The job needs a character and there ain’t many about

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Judas Atkinson said:

iv been around all this slightly longer than you and this feels like the lowest ebb.

Mainly because this is the 1st time I struggle to feel part of the cluster fuckk which is presently being presided over by DC who is not on the same planet football wise as the rest of us

• Like 3

A Manure supporting friend of mine recently said to me  - “ Why do you still support Wednesday, they’re crap ? “

I said to him - “ yes, but they’re my crap “

Things will get better - just can’t see it being any time soon

• Like 3

Funny you say that Mr Kew, only this week a Manchester United fan said to me it was “touching and likeable” that i still followed Wednesday. However I felt I had the upper hand, because, as he was brought up in Sheffield, I felt sorry for him!!

• Like 1

Since leaving Darnall in the 60s age 4,with my Parents & moving to live at Hillsborough,i have been a SWFC  supporter.For the first 30 years of my life,i lived in S6 (bar military service) and despite now living in S10,I remain,and ALWAYS will be an 'OWL@..

I too am 63,and despair at the current plight of my Club,& frankly can see little hope for the future.I will NEVER support any other Club,& would follow the Owls in ANY Division.(though ime not a Blades hater,my Dads team his entire life,)

I have lived my entire life as a Wednesdayite,& I will die,as a Wednesdayite,THAT  i think is the major difference between us,the 'supporters' of the Club, & the players in the 'modern' game.

Alleged football Mercenarys chasing the next contract & biggest payout.......'Agents' & 'advisers' allegedly ruining the Game..we love. Covid 19 restrictions,& a points deduction next season,may EVEN threaten the Clubs very existence.RELEGATION is not our biggest worry.

• Like 3

Nice post that and it’s glad to see loyalty in whatever form. It’s not east supporting Wednesday there’s no doubt about that. 
we know we’ll all be there whenever the next season begins either one of the 25 percent present or via other media. It’s in the blood. 
Seems we’re becoming less attractive now and the big characters are steering clear. 
personally big Nige or big Mick might still be within reach. I hope so.  

3 hours ago, Judas Atkinson said:

I chose to follow Wednesday in the 1960's, getting and retaining a season ticket in the North stand in 1971, up to the present date.

That does not make me a better supporter than any one else, if you dont wish to go then that is your choice.

As for me, I support the club not individuals and will be et Hillsborough next season and the season after etc.

I think the ave crowd next season will be around the 16k mark, until the club picks up.

You saw them as heroes because that’s what they were, players who gave everything for the club and the shirt 

Modern day football isn’t like that. Full of mercenaries and ponces who have no affiliation or care for the club they play for 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

A Manure supporting friend of mine recently said to me  - “ Why do you still support Wednesday, they’re crap ? “

Pretty much sums up how I feel.  Could this be a merchandising opportunity and the inspiration for a best-selling t-shirt?

‘Wednesday - they’re crap, but they’re my crap’

I’ve loved Wednesday for 28 years and they are basically always on my mind whilst I’m day dreaming the days away. 

But this is the least enthusiastic I’ve felt supporting them in all that time.  

It’s a sad state of affairs when you are checking Owlstalk every 5 minutes just to see if there’s news of a new owner or manager - but that’s basically what I do, and those are the only changes I can see that would help change the course of our future for the better 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

I'll never feel embarrassed or disappointed of who I support in comparison with someone who supports 'their' team purely on the basis of how successful they are or who claims to have some tenuous link as the reason they support a big team. It's just not the same is it.