Can’t give up on Wednesday

Although it feels like it I don't think we're at our lowest ebb just yet. Hopefully fans will recover over the next 6 weeks and the influx of new players will give the feeling of a fresh start.

The lowest ebb was that slide back into League 1 at home to Palace for me. That was utter despair. Did not feel like the club had a future and the debt pulling us down and down.

Another low point was relegation to third tier with Chris Turner. Monk complaining about the tools at his disposal reminds me of Turner at that point. Like then we needed to rebuild and Turner got the players in even if he didn't get them going.

Totally understand the Monk out calls - results dreadful. But part of me thinks they will have been planning for next season for a while now and it makes no sense to change it now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

A Manure supporting friend of mine recently said to me  - “ Why do you still support Wednesday, they’re crap ? “

I said to him - “ yes, but they’re my crap “

Things will get better - just can’t see it being any time soon

If you support one of the top 5 teams the only way is down. With us no matter how bad it gets there's always the outside chance we could get better.

43 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Although it feels like it I don't think we're at our lowest ebb just yet. Hopefully fans will recover over the next 6 weeks and the influx of new players will give the feeling of a fresh start.

The lowest ebb was that slide back into League 1 at home to Palace for me. That was utter despair. Did not feel like the club had a future and the debt pulling us down and down.

Another low point was relegation to third tier with Chris Turner. Monk complaining about the tools at his disposal reminds me of Turner at that point. Like then we needed to rebuild and Turner got the players in even if he didn't get them going.

Totally understand the Monk out calls - results dreadful. But part of me thinks they will have been planning for next season for a while now and it makes no sense to change it now.

lowest ebb😊

5 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

A Manure supporting friend of mine recently said to me  - “ Why do you still support Wednesday, they’re crap ? “

I said to him - “ yes, but they’re my crap “

Things will get better - just can’t see it being any time soon

Says it all about most Man Utd fans to be honest. 

52 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'll never feel embarrassed or disappointed of who I support in comparison with someone who supports 'their' team purely on the basis of how successful they are or who claims to have some tenuous link as the reason they support a big team. It's just not the same is it.

Totally agree,but many lifelong 'supporters' were priced out of the Club in the quest for the Premier league 'Holy Grail'..HULL anyone? Norwich?..was it REALLY  worth it?...& after the initial outcry about pricing,lets be honest many fans didnt give those Wednesday fans a second thought.

.Certainly in my view the architects of said 'plan' allegedly didnt..It stung all the more to see our lifelong rivals not only achieve Premiership status in style,but also keeping faith with their fan base TOO and keeping seats affordable.

Man up you t * ssers......

Lets have the deduction, get it over with...This team as it is ..is going nowhere...

Cold plunge into league 1, fans as angry as.....full of self righteous spite...spittin' an' snarlin' about a "Shed as big as this"...I fact so much better than this...

We bought the f.ookin' thing twice!!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Carole Baskin said:

Wednesday til I die.

It's a simple statement, but one that means the most to me.

Spot on comment. I,like many more Owlstalkers,have eaten, drunk and slept Sheffield Wednesday since I first went in 1963. A huge part of my life and more besides are Wednesday. Different workplaces, relationships and the ups and downs of life generally have all seen one common factor.....the Owls have always been there. In my mind,rightly or not,this is OUR club, not whoever the Chairman is or the suits in the Boardroom are. They are  tenants of their positions for the time they are there but most are not Wednesday through and through,some don't know the meaning of the word loyalty. We,the supporters and fans,are the engine that drives OUR team through the  good and not so good times. We are not there to exploit the Club and drain it of it's history and heritage,we are there to protect it  for our children and grandchildren. We are Wednesday,always have been and always will be.

Rant over.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, REDOWL said:

Spot on comment. I,like many more Owlstalkers,have eaten, drunk and slept Sheffield Wednesday since I first went in 1963. A huge part of my life and more besides are Wednesday. Different workplaces, relationships and the ups and downs of life generally have all seen one common factor.....the Owls have always been there. In my mind,rightly or not,this is OUR club, not whoever the Chairman is or the suits in the Boardroom are. They are  tenants of their positions for the time they are there but most are not Wednesday through and through,some don't know the meaning of the word loyalty. We,the supporters and fans,are the engine that drives OUR team through the  good and not so good times. We are not there to exploit the Club and drain it of it's history and heritage,we are there to protect it  for our children and grandchildren. We are Wednesday,always have been and always will be.

Rant over.

That's what I said mate, Wednesday til I die!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Man up you t * ssers......

Lets have the deduction, get it over with...This team as it is ..is going nowhere...

Cold plunge into league 1, fans as angry as.....full of self righteous spite...spittin' an' snarlin' about a "Shed as big as this"...I fact so much better than this...

We bought the f.ookin' thing twice!!!!

Stop sitting on the fence Andy 🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Judas Atkinson said:

I can’t give up on Wednesday now. We aren’t even at our lowest ebb. I am 63 and so know the lowest ebb. I was brought up in S6, live there still and have done for most of my life. I was brought up to believe that those in the blue and white stripes were heroes, and I still can’t fully shake that off, even though I know the real heroes are in the NHS.  I am a bit of a happy clapper and am a season ticket holder of many years standing. I always enjoy going to the game, but often it has been more for the routine, to get out,  to see friends for a couple of beers beforehand, and even to see my wider group of friends who I know entirely from the kop.

So it is hard for me to say this, but I haven’t missed it. I have watched on ifollow and thought I detected some improvement under 3-5-2, but now feel that any optimism was misplaced.  I even regret getting my early bird ticket as I probably won’t be able to go anyway. We are almost totally reliant on Mr Chansari’s generosity, and I have no confidence that much will change over the summer under current management. I was shocked to be voting Monk out in the owlstalk poll, that isn’t like me. I generally support the manager to a fault. But his team are shot, they have no confidence and collapse at the end of games. I expect my favourite (Keiren Lee) to be gone with many others and for us to be weaker at the start of next season than we are now. Monk has had a poor deal here, but I have no confidence that he can inspire a turn round, let alone make up for a point deduction if we are still in the Championship. In my experience Wednesday only do well with a big character in charge. 

So I am about as low as I can get with Wednesday, the injury time goal last night showed us to be capable of losing to a team that weren’t even trying to win, I feel down about it, and not even knowing what division we will be in fills me with trepidation, it certainly makes our situation trickier still.  So all I can say now is come on you blue and white wizards, Wednesday fans will not forsake you now! 

I think we are all pretty much cut from the same cloth.We love them, we curse them and at times we hate them and then we love them again.

We are born Owls we are faithful to the end and no matter what we will always support our beloved Wednesday.Like many I am really down in the dumps about such a thoroughly miserable season, however, when next season kicks off regardless of which division we find ourselves in I will be there cheering on the blue& white wizards either at home or hopefully at Hillsboro believing that it might just be "our season" and they will make us proud again.Whatever they will always be one of the love's of my life!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Stop sitting on the fence Andy 🤣

I know Dave..but f.ook me

As soon as some accept we aren't Barcelona and such as Nuhiu isn't Ronaldo, they are gonna be suffering all this delusion that gets us nowhere.

We are Sheffield Wednesday...Theres only the fans to be proud of...been like that for 20 years..hold yer heads up

Edited by asteener1867

Although I wasn’t born into an Owls supporting family, I don’t think they much cared for football, more rugby and cricket, not uncommon darn south, I chose to be an Owl at the age of 8. Having no real connections with Sheffield, my family never really understood my love for Wednesday. A neighbour who used to kick a football about with me was an avid Swindon fan, and I think my first two Wednesday games were both away at Swindon My parents separated, and my new stepdad was an Oxford fan, so I went with him to see Wednesday play at the old manor. It was my stepdad who took me to my first match at Hillsborough. In my early teens, about 14 I think, I started going to nearby away games with a couple of friends, one who became an Owl. Soon after that, we moved from Oxford to Banbury, where I met another Owl at my new school. At 17 we were making regular pilgrimages to Sheffield, jumping the night train late on a Friday night when the ticket office was closed, and getting to Sheffield about 2am. 
Then it was off to the Northern Soul nights at Samanthas, breakfast and off to the game. A few beers on Saturday night, and then if we didn’t pull, we’d probably end up at the all night cinema. Sunday we’d make our way out to Tinsley, and hitch hike back to Banbury. We were only young, but I loved the adventure of it, even hitching it home in the pouring rain. 
After a year or so of doing that, we decided we wanted to move to Sheffield, so the two of us, and the other Owl from Oxford, left college and moved up, settling in a terraced house in Walkley. All three of us found work in the steel industry, and became season ticket holders. I don’t think I missed a game, home or away, for about 5 years, traveling on, either Thommo’s coach, or in a friends removal van. 
Anyway, we all settled in Sheffield, but went our separate ways, but still following the Owls. I stayed for 18 years before returning to Oxford. I haven’t had a season ticket for many years, but have been tempted on a couple of occasions, but living away, the figures just didn’t add up. There are a few of us down here now, and on a good day, can muster 7 or 8 in the van, mainly to away games. Probably only do half a dozen home games a season now, making a weekend of it, and catching up with mates. Certainly it’s t the rough and ready weekends of our youth. 
In recent times, I’ve been less and less interested, in so much as I don’t think I care as much as I used to. Maybe that’s an age thing. It’s never been just about winning for me, it’s more about the crack, hence enjoying the away games more than the Hillsborough visits. I sort of got a new lease of life during the first season under Carlos, but it’s faded again now. For me now, especially if this rebuild is overseen by Monk, I think he will have it all to do to get me to be anything more than a sporadic visitor. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Judas Atkinson said:

I can’t give up on Wednesday now. We aren’t even at our lowest ebb. I am 63 and so know the lowest ebb. I was brought up in S6, live there still and have done for most of my life. I was brought up to believe that those in the blue and white stripes were heroes, and I still can’t fully shake that off, even though I know the real heroes are in the NHS.  I am a bit of a happy clapper and am a season ticket holder of many years standing. I always enjoy going to the game, but often it has been more for the routine, to get out,  to see friends for a couple of beers beforehand, and even to see my wider group of friends who I know entirely from the kop.

So it is hard for me to say this, but I haven’t missed it. I have watched on ifollow and thought I detected some improvement under 3-5-2, but now feel that any optimism was misplaced.  I even regret getting my early bird ticket as I probably won’t be able to go anyway. We are almost totally reliant on Mr Chansari’s generosity, and I have no confidence that much will change over the summer under current management. I was shocked to be voting Monk out in the owlstalk poll, that isn’t like me. I generally support the manager to a fault. But his team are shot, they have no confidence and collapse at the end of games. I expect my favourite (Keiren Lee) to be gone with many others and for us to be weaker at the start of next season than we are now. Monk has had a poor deal here, but I have no confidence that he can inspire a turn round, let alone make up for a point deduction if we are still in the Championship. In my experience Wednesday only do well with a big character in charge. 

So I am about as low as I can get with Wednesday, the injury time goal last night showed us to be capable of losing to a team that weren’t even trying to win, I feel down about it, and not even knowing what division we will be in fills me with trepidation, it certainly makes our situation trickier still.  So all I can say now is come on you blue and white wizards, Wednesday fans will not forsake you now! 

Keep your chin I have been going just as long. Over the years I have lost my interest in a lot of top flight mostly because its been nothing to do with us and the finances around the sport. What keeps me going is football can change so quickly, for bad or worse, so you have to keep hope otherwise there really isnt any point. As they say one thing in life that you never change is the club you support. UTO

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Although I wasn’t born into an Owls supporting family, I don’t think they much cared for football, more rugby and cricket, not uncommon darn south, I chose to be an Owl at the age of 8. Having no real connections with Sheffield, my family never really understood my love for Wednesday. A neighbour who used to kick a football about with me was an avid Swindon fan, and I think my first two Wednesday games were both away at Swindon My parents separated, and my new stepdad was an Oxford fan, so I went with him to see Wednesday play at the old manor. It was my stepdad who took me to my first match at Hillsborough. In my early teens, about 14 I think, I started going to nearby away games with a couple of friends, one who became an Owl. Soon after that, we moved from Oxford to Banbury, where I met another Owl at my new school. At 17 we were making regular pilgrimages to Sheffield, jumping the night train late on a Friday night when the ticket office was closed, and getting to Sheffield about 2am. 
Then it was off to the Northern Soul nights at Samanthas, breakfast and off to the game. A few beers on Saturday night, and then if we didn’t pull, we’d probably end up at the all night cinema. Sunday we’d make our way out to Tinsley, and hitch hike back to Banbury. We were only young, but I loved the adventure of it, even hitching it home in the pouring rain. 
After a year or so of doing that, we decided we wanted to move to Sheffield, so the two of us, and the other Owl from Oxford, left college and moved up, settling in a terraced house in Walkley. All three of us found work in the steel industry, and became season ticket holders. I don’t think I missed a game, home or away, for about 5 years, traveling on, either Thommo’s coach, or in a friends removal van. 
Anyway, we all settled in Sheffield, but went our separate ways, but still following the Owls. I stayed for 18 years before returning to Oxford. I haven’t had a season ticket for many years, but have been tempted on a couple of occasions, but living away, the figures just didn’t add up. There are a few of us down here now, and on a good day, can muster 7 or 8 in the van, mainly to away games. Probably only do half a dozen home games a season now, making a weekend of it, and catching up with mates. Certainly it’s t the rough and ready weekends of our youth. 
In recent times, I’ve been less and less interested, in so much as I don’t think I care as much as I used to. Maybe that’s an age thing. It’s never been just about winning for me, it’s more about the crack, hence enjoying the away games more than the Hillsborough visits. I sort of got a new lease of life during the first season under Carlos, but it’s faded again now. For me now, especially if this rebuild is overseen by Monk, I think he will have it all to do to get me to be anything more than a sporadic visitor. 

I must have seen you there then...with the gang Mopsy and crew

Guest Theboylangers

Great thread. 

I've been going on and off since 1977. My grandma took me to my first game and I think we drew against Southend, 0-0. She took me for years, paying for me to get in out of her small hospital cleaner wages.

We sat on the South, uncovered seating where everyone used to migrate to the back 4 rows when it was weeing it down.

There was another lady, Gladys. She worked at Butlins in Barry Island in the summer but she was at every home game. My gran and her used to go to away games together and even sit with the home fans. 

There weren't that many in the South in the late 70's but we all knew each other and were almost like a family. 

Grandma used to hand sweets round to everyone around her. 

I remember she once got smacked in the face with the ball when we played Man City, must have been a cup game.

She's long gone now but always reminded me that she'd seen us bring the FA Cup back in 1935 (she would have been 15).

Anyway, post too long but that's why I'm still here, Wednesday through and through.