Mason Greenwood

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

I vaguely recall the alleged victim's father coming out (when this all broke) and his main issue seemed to be the fact it had got out in the first place. 

Make of that what you will. 

I remember this, very bizarre thing for a father to say in the circumstances.

It’s worth saying that he hasn’t been proven guilty and that’s the main takeaway.

However, the burden of proof is “beyond all reasonable doubt”. So if a key witness drops the charges, that’s it.

But I think most people who saw that video will have opinions and I certainly won’t feel sorry for him if he struggles to find a club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, markowl said:

Ched did.

And that keeper who crashed his car and killed those kids.

There's no morals in football I'm afraid.

I’m not defending any of these lads but if they’re not in prison what job do you want them doing?

We’ve had a few players at Wednesday with sketchy backgrounds.

They’re footballers, they’re not qualified to do anything else so what job should they be allowed to do if you’re taking the view they shouldn’t be allowed to play football?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

I’m not defending any of these lads but if they’re not in prison what job do you want them doing?

They’re footballers, they’re not qualified to do anything else so what job should they be allowed to do if you’re taking the view they shouldn’t be allowed to play football?

Just watched this for the first time tonight, I'd want him nowhere near my football team

8 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Sweeping roads.

Cleaning toilets.

Basically, not a job where they are role models for children, with the potential to earn thousands per week.

The punishment should be what the courts dish out not employers or others trying to prevent them working... in an ideal world.

There should be a caveat that the person should show remorse and appear to be a reformed character.

The more public the figure and the more likely there are to be a role model , the closer the scrutiny should be on the character or the person going forward.

49 minutes ago, markowl said:

Sweeping roads.

Cleaning toilets.

Basically, not a job where they are role models for children, with the potential to earn thousands per week.

Greenwood is going to get his contract paid out in full now so he can’t lose either way. He’s on 75k a week until 2025 and he’s collecting that whatever happens.

What’s Manchester United’s options now? They either get him back training which they’d get hammered for, pay his contract out in full or try loan him out and take a hit on his wages. That’s if any club would take him, I can’t see anyone buying him.

The decision Manchester United take now is not going to be a football decision, it’s not going to be a legal decision, it’s going to be a decision purely based on reputational damage.

Social media has definitely changed society on an issue like this. Leeds United never even suspended Bowyer and Woodgate, they carried on picking them right through the court case and paid for all their court fees. There’s no way Leeds would have been able to get away with doing that today. 

There’s certain occupations like teaching, law, accounting, police where any criminal record would likely bar you from getting a job. But football has never been an occupation where a clean DBS has been a requirement. Are you saying it should be?

We have a current player in our squad that has a conviction for assault and being involved in a stabbing. Are you ok with him playing for Wednesday or do you think he should be cleaning the toilets too?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Greenwood is going to get his contract paid out in full now so he can’t lose either way. He’s on 75k a week until 2025 and he’s collecting that whatever happens.

What’s Manchester United’s options now? They either get him back training which they’d get hammered for, pay his contract out in full or try loan him out and take a hit on his wages. That’s if any club would take him, I can’t see anyone buying him.

The decision Manchester United take now is not going to be a football decision, it’s not going to be a legal decision, it’s going to be a decision purely based on reputational damage.

Social media has definitely changed society on an issue like this. Leeds United never even suspended Bowyer and Woodgate, they carried on picking them right through the court case and paid for all their court fees. There’s no way Leeds would have been able to get away with doing that today. 

There’s certain occupations like teaching, law, accounting, police where any criminal record would likely bar you from getting a job. But football has never been an occupation where a clean DBS has been a requirement. Are you saying it should be?

We have a current player in our squad that has a conviction for assault and being involved in a stabbing. Are you ok with him playing for Wednesday or do you think he should be cleaning the toilets too?

I don't actually even know which player you mean, but the key phrase there is "has a conviction", i.e. was punished in whatever way it was by the law.

If Greenwood's been picking up his £75k pw for doing nothing, and will potentially be doing so for another 2.5 years, there's no wonder he was able to, allegedly, pay for the charges to be dropped.

Edited by alanharper
typo

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

If he was a Sheffield Wednesday player, I would want the club to be hiring the best employment lawyers they could to try and get the players contract terminated, or look at the possibilities of sacking him for gross misconduct. 

Clubs have to be looking at behavioural clauses in contracts,  there's enough evidence of his appalling conduct. Just because the witness/alleged victim and CPS have left Greenwood with no criminal charges to face, it doesn't mean he isn't a scumbag that has sullied the clubs name. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

If he was a Sheffield Wednesday player, I would want the club to be hiring the best employment lawyers they could to try and get the players contract terminated, or look at the possibilities of sacking him for gross misconduct. 

Clubs have to be looking at behavioural clauses in contracts,  there's enough evidence of his appalling conduct. Just because the witness/alleged victim and CPS have left Greenwood with no criminal charges to face, it doesn't mean he isn't a scumbag that has sullied the clubs name. 

Whatever your views on Greenwood (and the majority will make their own mind up on him after listening to that audio) the CPS have decided he doesn’t have a case to answer. So Manchester United will have absolutely no legal avenue they can go down if they wanted to terminate his contract.

If it’s not a criminal matter (which it isn’t now) the only way they could sack him for gross misconduct was if he stopped turning up for training.

In recent years Wednesday have had Malik Wilks with a conviction for assault and being involved in a stabbing, Saido Berahino a convicted drink driver, Gary Madine with convictions for assault and Nile Ranger with a list of convictions as long as his arm.

Are you ok with these lads playing for Wednesday or do you think footballers need a clean DBS now?

I’m not defending anyone either but we have a criminal justice system and rehabilitation of offenders in this country. And if the criminal justice has decided they shouldn’t be in prison then they should be free to play football in my view. What else are they going to be doing?

• Like 1