Mason Greenwood

2 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

I think the most likely scenario is that Manchester United will just want rid now because of the reputational damage associated with Greenwood. Manchester United will take the financial hit and pay his contract out in full and Greenwood will resume his playing career overseas 

I don't think they need to pay him off, they can just stick him on the transfer list and make it clear he won't be considered for the first team. He's got another 2 and a half years on his contract, and whilst senior players might be happy to sit collecting wages for a couple of years, he's only 21 so it'd be in his interest to get a move as soon as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

I don't think they need to pay him off, they can just stick him on the transfer list and make it clear he won't be considered for the first team. He's got another 2 and a half years on his contract, and whilst senior players might be happy to sit collecting wages for a couple of years, he's only 21 so it'd be in his interest to get a move as soon as possible. 

No other English club is going to buy him though are they or pay him the 75k a week he’s on currently.

Even though he’s a good footballer, he’s not worth the reputational damage to a club. Any club that buys him would immediately get loads of stick and having sponsors pulling out on them

10 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

No other English club is going to buy him though are they or pay him the 75k a week he’s on currently.

Even though he’s a good footballer, he’s not worth the reputational damage to a club. Any club that buys him would immediately get loads of stick and having sponsors pulling out on them

Nah, plenty of clubs abroad would take him. Scandals are never as big when it's happened in another country. 

We're being very hopeful even that Manchester United will do either of the things we've suggested, the most likely scenario I think, is that he'll be reintroduced to the first team. Hope I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Is it wrong to presume he’ll end up going abroad ?

Is it not more about the chairman of a club rather than the country 

It’s more about the sponsors I think.

Once sponsors start pulling out clubs panic and no brand is going to want Mason Greenwood wearing a shirt with their name on it 

33 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

If he's seen as a commodity someone will take him.

Alonso drove while under the influence and killed his passenger. Didn't stop Fiorentina, Chelsea and now Barcelona from using his services.

The Alonso case was in 2011 though. Social media wasn’t a huge factor in football club’s decisions back then.

Maybe it’ll quieten down with Greenwood in a year or two but I don’t think any big club will touch him for a while for the Twitter storm it’d bring their way

4 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Got a feeling he'll be back in a Man Yoo shirt next season.

I think you're right. I don't see them taking some big moral stand.

It'll be all "well he's not been convicted of anything, he wants to put this behind him... etc"

Weird if the girl is still with him as well, people will run out of sympathy for her pretty quick.

Also, absolutely bizarre statement by her old man at the time...

After the online allegations, Robson’s father mentioned to the public, “She is devastated because she didn’t want it released. We have known him since the under 21s. He has been part of our family for two or three years. Their relationship has not been good for the last few months. She is completely devastated by it all.”

15 hours ago, The Wall said:

After the online allegations, Robson’s father mentioned to the public, “She is devastated because she didn’t want it released. We have known him since the under 21s. He has been part of our family for two or three years. Their relationship has not been good for the last few months. She is completely devastated by it all.”

£ signs in his eyes.

All pretty tawdry isn’t it.

On 02/02/2023 at 14:46, SallyCinnamon said:

I think it’s more of a case that his girlfriend has decided to drop the charges. 

That audio recording was enough for me. If he does return to football I hope he’s given the roughest of rides. 

Don't think it works like that, it was the CPS that dropped the charges and I doubt she had any say in the matter.

In terms of whether he should play again their are players that have killed people and gone on to have careers - Marcos Alonso, Patrick Kluivert, Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick to name a few. I dont expect to see him play this season but next season he will be back in a Man U shirt.

On 04/02/2023 at 03:11, pat blondeau said:

Can Man Utd get out if the contract due to him dragging the club through the mud? 

14 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Can Man Utd get out if the contract due to him dragging the club through the mud? 

I’m no expert on contract law or what clauses go into footballers contracts but I wouldn’t have thought so.

If they could they’d have already sacked him, he’s been on full pay for the last 12 months without kicking a football 

23 hours ago, kopman9 said:

next season he will be back in a Man U shirt.

There is absolutely 100% not a hope in hell that he'll ever play for Man U again.

Only reason it's dragging will be their lawyers and his agent trying to come to a quiet and business savvy agreement.

On 05/02/2023 at 20:21, kopman9 said:

Don't think it works like that, it was the CPS that dropped the charges and I doubt she had any say in the matter.

Well it rumoured she's one of the key witnesses that has withdrawn statements, along with the new  evidence of   reconciling with him.

pretty hard to go to court without that I'd say as she will no longer testify against him.  

These cases are hard enough to prove as it is.