BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

7 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I'm not clinically ill Animis.. I work with elderly and vulnerable adults and between them and the local authority .. they've worn me out.

I'm dreading tomorrow because there's no leadership in my building but I want a proper plan in the morning or I'll start making my own decisions on safety.. totally against my principles but there must be leadership..

I see - I also work in the social care sector, although non-clinical. 

It's interesting you mention leadership, as this is one thing I've seen a stark lack of - no pertinent BCP; comms plan; policy and procedure on even basics like cleaning. It's sort of business as usual and wait and see.

I think they've been lead by the government's hands-off approach to date.

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Reading the gene sequence is only the first part of it.

Then they have to study it and see how best to create a vaccine. How they can make it effectively inert.

Then they test on animals to see if the vaccine kills them. Then they infect the animals to see what happens. Each stage is done then statistically assessed against a group that received a placebo.

Then they need to test on healthy humans to see if they can tolerate the vaccine, then they infect them and see what happens. Then they need to see how much vaccine is needed to be effective. Then it all needs statistically analysing.

The results are then put out for other scientists to study and pick holes in. (peer review)

Once it's proved it works they have to get it into production which needs a lot of labs to work out the best way to mass produce it. Then they need to produce enough for 6 billion people, distribute it round the world etc.

I'm not a scientist so I've probably missed a few stages.  Best case scenario 15 months to find and test it before they even think of production. Maybe a lot longer. There's somethings they can't immunise against.

After all this time the thing might have mutated and the vaccine is ineffective against the new strain. That's why flu and the common cold are still around.

I think they'll fast track this process. It may be dependent though on how this unfolds and the actual infection and death rates when measured against the forecast. I.e. if it's not as bad as they thought, they may hold off.

22 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

It's all well and good isolating it and sequencing it, but to produce in such a way takes a lot of resources and that takes time to set up. Once you've got the thing you're injecting into people, it has to undergo a sufficient amount of testing. The worst thing you could do is inject people with something that creates more problems a couple of months later. 

Even being optimistic, you'd be looking at 9 months for everything to be rubber stamped and cleared for humans and being mass produced on the required scale. 

19 minutes ago, prowl said:

Reading the gene sequence is only the first part of it.

Then they have to study it and see how best to create a vaccine. How they can make it effectively inert.

Then they test on animals to see if the vaccine kills them. Then they infect the animals to see what happens. Each stage is done then statistically assessed against a group that received a placebo.

Then they need to test on healthy humans to see if they can tolerate the vaccine, then they infect them and see what happens. Then they need to see how much vaccine is needed to be effective. Then it all needs statistically analysing.

The results are then put out for other scientists to study and pick holes in. (peer review)

Once it's proved it works they have to get it into production which needs a lot of labs to work out the best way to mass produce it. Then they need to produce enough for 6 billion people, distribute it round the world etc.

I'm not a scientist so I've probably missed a few stages.  Best case scenario 15 months to find and test it before they even think of production. Maybe a lot longer. There's somethings they can't immunise against.

After all this time the thing might have mutated and the vaccine is ineffective against the new strain. That's why flu and the common cold are still around.

Makes sense thankyou for educating me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I don't trust the government either but I don't want to believe scaremongering either. A neighbour told me some fanciful tale he'd heard on some fake media site. I won't repeat it, it was nonesense. There will be attempts to spread misinformation, ignore them.

I wish the govermnment hadn't stopped testing except in hospitals. It's only by testing that we can get an accurate handle on this thing. Give people accurate information and people will generally behave sensibly.

I think the government is behind the curve on this thing and are being forced to take action to catch up because the people are showing the way.

I wouldn't trust Boris to run a whelk stall. (I'm not political in any way, I don't trust Corbyn either)

I agree with,"the people are showing the way", prowl. Here in Dingle we are a huge tourist town and this weekend and next week are one of the biggest of the year financially.

Paddy's Day is absolutely huge, but the town has taken the decision to close down all the pubs and restaurants for a minimum of six weeks. It's going to be financial Armageddon for some businesses, but the government here are being kinda slow to react too. And if you think the NHS is in a poor way, you should take a scan at our health service.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I agree with,"the people are showing the way", prowl. Here in Dingle we are a huge tourist town and this weekend and next week are one of the biggest of the year financially.

Paddy's Day is absolutely huge, but the town has taken the decision to close down all the pubs and restaurants for a minimum of six weeks. It's going to be financial Armageddon for some businesses, but the government here are being kinda slow to react too. And if you think the NHS is in a poor way, you should take a scan at our health service.

They've just announced measures:

Irish government asks pubs to close

Ireland's government has called for the closure of all pubs and bars in the country from this evening "until at least 29 March".

In a statement, it also called on members of the public to refrain from organising or going to parties "in private houses or other venues which would put other people's health at risk".

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Someone who has had it 

I've seen and read about 20 instances of people who have had it - all confirmed.   Whilst some seem similar, a lot vary so much that i'd still be confused to my own symptoms if say - I had a cold (which I currently do, I believe)  

The symptoms and stages seem to vary quite a lot.    

Some latest stuff I have picked up from China. A 27 year old male police officer has died in Hubei Province. Official cause of death "overwork" though that is obviously raising questions on social media. The official line coming out of Beijing now is that the disease began in the USA one year ago and was introduced to Wuhan by US military personnel. The CPC have issued a guidance document that has been leaked, though the source cannot be verified because of media restrictions within China. Even after the disease is finally suppressed, the political fallout over this is going to hang around for years. It's frightening to think where it will end.

2 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Some latest stuff I have picked up from China. A 27 year old male police officer has died in Hubei Province. Official cause of death "overwork" though that is obviously raising questions on social media. The official line coming out of Beijing now is that the disease began in the USA one year ago and was introduced to Wuhan by US military personnel. The CPC have issued a guidance document that has been leaked, though the source cannot be verified because of media restrictions within China. Even after the disease is finally suppressed, the political fallout over this is going to hang around for years. It's frightening to think where it will end.

One country has 372 million people, the other has 1.4 billion.

Both have around the same land mass.

I know where I would say this disease was manufactured.

Just now, Salmonbones said:

One country has 372 million people, the other has 1.4 billion.

Both have around the same land mass.

I know where I would say this disease was manufactured.

It's political mindgames. The propaganda machine has already gone into overdrive. The blame has to be shifted. 

16 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Mid table mediocrity , need to put a run together if we are to make the play offs. 

Manchester and Nottingham have been banished to the reserves 

We’ve got Rotherham in midfield, they do a lot of running but not upto the standard required 

• Haha 1

It's not surviving the virus that worries me it's surviving the problems caused by people with no common sense about the situation. 

All this time we were worried about no deal causing food  shortages and closed borders.... 

Edited by darklord

News today is talking about new measures coming in sometime in future asking over 70s and younger people with certain health conditions to self isolate. Anyone know if having high blood pressure is one of these.  I've been on medication for this for years but unsure if I'm on the high risk

7 minutes ago, tashton said:

News today is talking about new measures coming in sometime in future asking over 70s and younger people with certain health conditions to self isolate. Anyone know if having high blood pressure is one of these.  I've been on medication for this for years but unsure if I'm on the high risk

I don't think anyone knows at this stage.

I would imagine that well controled high blood pressure is ok if you keep up with your medication. Mine is very high at present and the doctor is trying different tablets to get it back under control so it is a risk.

My rationale is that this infection is putting your system under pressure if there is a problem your body might give up before your immune system finds the right antibodies.